"o" Type Visa Information

Hello All :o,

I am an avid reader of the Forum (although not a prolific writer) and as such am after some information to clear up some confusion I have regarding some issues.

I am an Aussie citizen, 36 years old and happily married to a Thai lady since last October. We have been together for nearly 4 years and for the last 3 years I have been living here in Thailand (Bangkok) but only on the 28 day entry stamp from immigration at the airport.

Due to my work which takes me to different countries at different times I really haven't needed to do anything regarding visas but we now both want to do something a little more permanent in the visa department and perhaps look for work here in Thailand itself. I am looking at applying for a multiple entry non "o" type visa.

My confusion stems from the requirements as I'm not sure if I need 40K Baht in an account on it's own or if my wages alone are enough to comply. I earn well in excess of 40K baht a year so would this allow me to qualify or do I still need it in the bank as well?

Also after reading several other posts I notice you suggest Penang as a good place to get the Visa. I was thinking of just going back to Aus (Perth) and applying there. Is there any advantage to going to Penang that I missed? or is it simply for convenience?

I am fully employed (although not here in Thailand) and I would also like to know (not having a clue as to the employment setup here) if, once having obtained the Visa then am I able to obtain a work permit BEFORE being employed or must I have a job first and then ask for the work Permit?

Any help and advice you guys can give me would be much appreciated and I'm sure I'll think of something else to ask later but that's it for the present. Cheers.

Jimmy

1. Penang is close and cheap - Oz should be fine at one of the Consulates.

2. You should only require marriage certificate and copy of wife ID card to obtain multi entry O non immigrant visa. Money is only required for extension of stay from Immigration inside Thailand. That can wait local employment as your schedule now would probably not meet the timing required and as you travel every month there no need for it.

3. You can work on the O visa but, as with any work permit, you need to find employment first, obtain work permit, obtain extension of stay.

1.  Penang is close and cheap - Oz should be fine at one of the Consulates.

2.  You should only require marriage certificate and copy of wife ID card to obtain multi entry O non immigrant visa.  Money is only required for extension of stay from Immigration inside Thailand.  That can wait local employment as your schedule now would probably not meet the timing required and as you travel every month there no need for it.

3.  You can work on the O visa but, as with any work permit, you need to find employment first, obtain work permit, obtain extension of stay.

Thank You Very Much lopburi3

That pretty much answers everything that I can come up with so far (and a bit more). An easy, understandable answer to a tricky, hard to understand (at times) question. It is much appreciated especially as you guys must have to answer these same questions a 1000 times a day. Cheers.

Jimmy

Hello All :o,

I am an avid reader of the Forum (although not a prolific writer) and as such am after some information to clear up some confusion I have regarding some issues.

I am an Aussie citizen, 36 years old and happily married to a Thai lady since last October. We have been together for nearly 4 years and for the last 3 years I have been living here in Thailand (Bangkok) but only on the 28 day entry stamp from immigration at the airport. 

Due to my work which takes me to different countries at different times I really haven't needed to do anything regarding visas but we now both want to do something a little more permanent in the visa department and perhaps look for work here in Thailand itself. I am looking at applying for a multiple entry non "o" type visa.

My confusion stems from the requirements as I'm not sure if I need 40K Baht in an account on it's own or if my wages alone are enough to comply. I earn well in excess of 40K baht a year so would this allow me to qualify or do I still need it in the bank as well?

Also after reading several other posts I notice you suggest Penang as a good place to get the Visa. I was thinking of just going back to Aus (Perth) and applying there. Is there any advantage to going to Penang that I missed? or is it simply for convenience?

I am fully employed (although not here in Thailand) and I would also like to know (not having a clue as to the employment setup here) if, once having obtained the Visa then am I able to obtain a work permit BEFORE being employed or must I have a job first and then ask for the work Permit?

Any help and advice you guys can give me would be much appreciated and I'm sure I'll think of something else to ask later but that's it for the present. Cheers.

Jimmy

If you go to Oz the Consulate's that are most efficient are Brisbane and Perth. www.thaiconsulate.org

You can get a work permit once you get a job in Thailand

If you go to Oz the Consulate's that are most efficient are Brisbane and Perth. www.thaiconsulate.org

You can get a work permit once you get a job in Thailand

Sydney is ok, if you talk sweet to the lady there, but they certainly are slower.

Just a quick reply. In your post you quote 40K as being needed in a bank. You actually need 400K. Maybe just a typo on your part but i thought i would clarify.

Good point but not a factor in this case as the money is not required for a non immigrant visa; only for extension of stay which seems rather hard for him to do with his work schedule. 40K would be what they look for as monthly earnings and 400k as bank deposit if extending.

Just a quick reply. In your post you quote 40K as being needed in a bank. You actually need 400K. Maybe just a typo on your part but i thought i would clarify.

Thanks EVO,

Yeah it was actually a typo on my part but thanks for picking it up as you never know :o and sorry for the slow reply but I was in Lop Buri (no pun intended lopburi3) for the weekend and only just now returned home. Thank You once again to all those that contributed to my new found knowledge. Yes I am kicking myself I didn't speak with you guys sooner as I could of already had the *%$@(** thing.