Tests Prove HIV And Hepatitis Tainted Blood Used In Red Shirt Protests

webfact

You have your extreemly rich yellow shirts sitting in thier million dollar mansions with thier 5 mercs in the drive forcing children to sell flowers at busy intersections and people slaving away in yellow shirt owned rice fields for 2 US $ a day and they wonder why red shirts are upset. Hey in Yellow shirt world the life is beautiful but you can't have it. The life in Thai is for the rich only so get back to the fields and if you die before 30 then we want your 1st born.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For another poster who said throwing blood is distasteful... so what about urine bags at the airport...

Both sides are the same... no difference...

The obvious differences being that no urine was thrown at the airport and the blood that was thrown more recently was contaminated with HIV.

Some might think those are somewhat significant differences.

Urine was thrown at the airport by Yellow shirts and yes urine can contain HIV

What an irresponsible article, even if April 1.

First there is a claim attributed to Dr Kusol Prawitpaiboon that the blood was tainted and that the "diseases also can live outside the human body in normal condition for about six hours". No evidence was cited how the blood was collected or if anyone was exposed. Just a horrible cheap article that will spread fear.

This doctor has just made medical history with his claims on the longevity of the various viruses since HIV starts to degrade once it is deprived of oxygen and away from human ambient core temperature. The time is measured in minutes not hours.

6 hours only? Not for HCB, it can go for 10 days and the klongs of bangkok are swimming with it. :D HCV is good for 4-5 days and is concurrent with HIV because it is associated with IV drug users. (Nice insinuation) If this guy was serious he would have raised the issue of TB, but that would have necessitated pointing out that on any given day the trains and subway of Bangkok are filled with carriers and that might expose a secret no one wants to discuss openly.

I am not going to bash this fellow because I think his statements were taken out of context and distorted. I know he is no friend of the Thaksin camp, but I can't see him making statements that would incite panic. Not that it isn't possible he could be given to rhetoric if this is the same fellow that was one of the communist sympathizers that participated in the Oct. 6, 1976 student protests at Thammasat University back when he was in medical school. He hounded former PM Samak Sundaravej for the deaths of the students saying the student deaths were his doing. In health research a person with such views that would undertake such research is considered biased and any data provided by a biased researcher is deemed tainted. A neutral party should have overseen this exercise.

However, the same doctor admitted that tests found that the blood used in the symbolic blood-pouring protests included pig and cattle fluids. Ya think? It wasn't any big secret. :) The human blood gathered was small and for the cameras. Several people in TV picked up on the sham that the blood event was going to be when they wrote that they expected animal byproducts to be used. The redshirts did what all other theaterical producers do, they went out and got the props for the show.

Thankfully the record is set straight by Permanent Secretary for Public Health Paichit Varachit with his statement that the chance of contracting the virus was slim. And there is the comment from Dr Somsak Lolekha, president of the Medical Council of Thailand, who said it is not easy to be infected unless these persons have injuries and were soaked by the disease-concentrated blood.

For what it's worth, the typical visitor to a Thai tattoo parlour or some dentist offices is at greater risk of contracting hepatitis than were bystanders at the blood splatter party. But shhh, we can't mention that and the absence of health surveillance. :D

This comment clears the scientific medical side. We don't speak about. It's a fact.

The blood ceremony has another, more dangerous impact. It's one part of the traditional Black Magic of Cambodia. In the history of Siam (Thailand) the Khmer had for a long time territories in Thailand. Taksin (not Thaksin) united Thailand, but the Black Magic survived in the regions, where Thaksin has his followers (Easarn etc).

In my Wat (Tan Buddhadasa) where I had been ordained as babymonk 20 years ago the Chiang Mai Reds made a voodoo ceremony, (Sponsor Thaksin), they killed an animal (in a wat!!!), burnt pictures of Abhisit and Prem. The abbot, my ordination master, helpless, tired, only could answer that Tkaksin sponsored a school in the Wat for International Buddhist Teaching.

First there is a claim attributed to Dr Kusol Prawitpaiboon that the blood was tainted and that the "diseases also can live outside the human body in normal condition for about six hours". No evidence was cited how the blood was collected or if anyone was exposed. Just a horrible cheap article that will spread fear.

This doctor has just made medical history with his claims on the longevity of the various viruses since HIV starts to degrade once it is deprived of oxygen and away from human ambient core temperature. The time is measured in minutes not hours.

6 hours only? Not for HCB, it can go for 10 days and the klongs of bangkok are swimming with it. :D HCV is good for 4-5 days and is concurrent with HIV because it is associated with IV drug users. (Nice insinuation) If this guy was serious he would have raised the issue of TB, but that would have necessitated pointing out that on any given day the trains and subway of Bangkok are filled with carriers and that might expose a secret no one wants to discuss openly.

I am not going to bash this fellow because I think his statements were taken out of context and distorted. I know he is no friend of the Thaksin camp, but I can't see him making statements that would incite panic. Not that it isn't possible he could be given to rhetoric if this is the same fellow that was one of the communist sympathizers that participated in the Oct. 6, 1976 student protests at Thammasat University back when he was in medical school. He hounded former PM Samak Sundaravej for the deaths of the students saying the student deaths were his doing. In health research a person with such views that would undertake such research is considered biased and any data provided by a biased researcher is deemed tainted. A neutral party should have overseen this exercise.

However, the same doctor admitted that tests found that the blood used in the symbolic blood-pouring protests included pig and cattle fluids. Ya think? It wasn't any big secret. :) The human blood gathered was small and for the cameras. Several people in TV picked up on the sham that the blood event was going to be when they wrote that they expected animal byproducts to be used. The redshirts did what all other theaterical producers do, they went out and got the props for the show.

Thankfully the record is set straight by Permanent Secretary for Public Health Paichit Varachit with his statement that the chance of contracting the virus was slim. And there is the comment from Dr Somsak Lolekha, president of the Medical Council of Thailand, who said it is not easy to be infected unless these persons have injuries and were soaked by the disease-concentrated blood.

For what it's worth, the typical visitor to a Thai tattoo parlour or some dentist offices is at greater risk of contracting hepatitis than were bystanders at the blood splatter party. But shhh, we can't mention that and the absence of health surveillance. :D

This comment clears the scientific medical side. We don't speak about. It's a fact.

The blood ceremony has another, more dangerous impact. It's one part of the traditional Black Magic of Cambodia. In the history of Siam (Thailand) the Khmer had for a long time territories in Thailand. Taksin (not Thaksin) united Thailand, but the Black Magic survived in the regions, where Thaksin has his followers (Easarn etc).

In my Wat (Tan Buddhadasa) where I had been ordained as babymonk 20 years ago the Chiang Mai Reds made a voodoo ceremony, (Sponsor Thaksin), they killed an animal (in a wat!!!), burnt pictures of Abhisit and Prem. The abbot, my ordination master, helpless, tired, only could answer that Tkaksin sponsored a school in the Wat for International Buddhist Teaching.

people fighting for DEMOCRACY !!!! hahahahahahahha ahahahahahahah they want to reinstate a dictator and its clique of most corrupt politicians .... but its for democracy ...

i cannot stop laughing at some people gullibility

NOTE: this was to answer someone whose post disappeared who was saying that some newspaper was scoffing at " people fighting for democracy"

Democracy? without election? Oh yeah, it is. Thanks for letting us know.

For another poster who said throwing blood is distasteful... so what about urine bags at the airport...

The only difference is that Thaksin IS an ELECTED prime minister and Abhisit is NOT...

He defends the throwing of blood after it has been revealed it is tainted.

No doubt he thinks it is OK to continue to do so now.

The only status Thaksin has is that of a wanted criminal on the run, but our Thaksin apologist here wants to use his hero to justify stupid actions.

Now why is that?

This contributor accepts that the red blood was contaminated.

And he wants to defend the reds.

Unconditionally.

Whatever it takes to get Thaksin back.

The red apologists show their true face again.

Hardly news - if you take blood from a large random number of people then this result is inevitable. Good scaremongering tactics from the government but that is about it - any intelligent person knows that blood carries risk

Also i would like to point out HIV/Hep group all die within minutes of being exposed to the cold light of day,once your blood drops below normal blood temp they are dead within minutes,all this scare mongering,is rubbish.

The obvious differences being that no urine was thrown at the airport and the blood that was thrown more recently was contaminated with HIV.

Urine was thrown at the airport by Yellow shirts

Do you have news coverage link on that? Never saw that in any media.

They saw on the television who was doing it. Why don't they arrest the people that poured the blood? As far as someone's comment about the virus that causes AIDS only lives for minutes outside the host is ridiculous. I've been told by a AIDS researcher that it can live for up to 10 minutes in a mild bleach solution. Why this illegal activity, the dumping of body fluids, which i consider human body parts in public places can happen I don't have a clue, at least arrest them for littering, and sue them for the cost of clean up, and make sure you tack on all the bio-hazard related expenses that go along with it. Arrest them! why is that so difficult? Why is this coward that says he's healthy, gained a few kilos eating Swedish breads and caviar allowed to to this to the kingdom? HOW DISRESPECTFUL and outrageous. I say enough is enough! End it. This will go on because one person doesn't want to have more talks. I wonder how much Taksin is going to pay him if he succeeds? :)

go back and check then get back to me...

Hardly news - if you take blood from a large random number of people then this result is inevitable. Good scaremongering tactics from the government but that is about it - any intelligent person knows that blood carries risk

Also i would like to point out HIV/Hep group all die within minutes of being exposed to the cold light of day,once your blood drops below normal blood temp they are dead within minutes,all this scare mongering,is rubbish.

I am sure you will volunteer to be in the next splash area with a cut finger to prove your point Mr Red Cheerleader a Go-Go.

Of course, legally, it would be expected that judicious collection procedures were exercised at the scenes, and that chain of custody documentation certifies that the handling of the samples complied with uncontestable standards.

Don't know what they were trying to accomplish pouring the blood, but you don't need hindsight to know that it was poor judgment. Had they donated their blood and circulated blood-mobiles all over Bangkok to collect blood donations, perhaps for Chile and Haiti and handed out red shirts that said 'I donated,' then it might have received a positive response and unified Bangkokians, at least on the one positive note. A quick Google search says this about contamination worries:

"Keep in mind that while HIV infection from infectious bodily fluids outside the human body is essentially zero, other diseases like hepatitis B and C can and do occur. Therefore, any blood or bodily fluid outside the body should be considered a health risk and cleaned up using universal precautions and cleaning fluids that are known to kill viruses on contact." http://aids.about.com/od/technicalquestions/f/hivoutside.htm

"The lifespan of the [HIV] virus is about 20 minutes, maximum, in a drop of

blood that lands on a surface outside the body. Once that droplet dries,

the virus is dead." http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug97...61350.Vi.r.html

"....the theoretical risk of environmental transmission to that which has been observed–essentially zero.

....no one has been identified as infected with HIV due to contact with an environmental surface. Additionally, HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host." http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa35.htm

go back and check then get back to me...

So you don't have any evidence for what you said happened. It was your claim, not mine.

Where exactly did this supposedly occur? Arrival/Departures lounges? One would think it would have been fairly significant news if a group of British/Chinese/etc. tourists got dowsed with urine. Something like that would have been all over the media.

I read a lot of the news at the time and never saw a single report of this happening.

I am sure you will volunteer to be in the next splash area with a cut finger to prove your point Mr Red Cheerleader a Go-Go.

Your chances of contracting HIV/AIDS from blood on the street are very remote. You best chance of getting it is through sexual contact or the direct exchange of bodily fluids. The Virus will generally live outside the body for about 3 minutes. I have been exposed to this virus when I was jabbed with a syringe containing contaminated blood (AIDS) not HIV. I went through the 3 months (4 months) of hel_l. Had tests every month but came up clean. Yes my doctor told me that the virus can not survive outside the body. The Yellow shirts are running a scare campaign.

Nw you have my Thai wife worried

She has a large family back in Issan

and it only takes 2 or 3 people to start of an ecademic

what about the Monk who through blood at people

Is it time the Government stood up and started to act like a government

enoough is enough

Do this in America or Australia and you would be in a cell so fast

Come on Thailand, time for the Government to act like a Government

I didn't see that about the monk... could you expound more on this monk? or any monks that were involved in the demonstration, please?

110% agree - just statistic medical data that exists in every population no matter what country.

I think you folks are missing the point. :)

Whether you agree with the Redshirts, or with the Aphisit government, it's the "potential" to pass the infection that creates the criminal issue.

In the USA, at the very least, this would be considered "Reckless Endangerment" and subject to criminal prosecution. However, if the Redshirt leadership who planned it, KNOWINGLY utilized infected blood it could be considered "Attempted Homocide". If someone actually contracts an incurable terminal disease from it, then the planners and perpetrators could be prosecuted for premeditated murder, or in the case of the PM's home, attempted assassination.

In the law you have to consider intent, and potential. Not just dismiss it as low probability. :D

You're talking way out of school. Just a minute statistical chance is "not reckless endangerment". We know the blood was not tested so there can be no intent to harm.

You would first have to show that some specific person or persons was at actual risk. I accept you dislike but no criminality is involved.

Seems like some people have the same solution for every event or utterance, throw them in jail or execute them. Come on folks. How about some sanity in the posts here?

My guess is, that most monks, especially abbots, are pretty tired of all this garbage. It's Thai agains't Thai. Like the civil war in the U.S. back in the 1860's. Come on people, Thailand is supposed to be a Buddhist country. What about following the Buddha's principles for a change. The Buddha set specific guidelines for everyone, workers, government and even the King. Just because Thaksin gave a few thousand baht to a temple for an afternoon of "International Buddhist Teaching", doesn't mean squat. Look at his record while a Prime Minister. Every thing he did for the "people", just made him richer. Now we have his "people" performing Black Magic rituals in Holy Buddha Temples. This is going too far. It's time for the abbots of these temples to stand up and say, not here.

Do you guys seriously read all these mainstream newspapers and just believe them for what they are. Shame that unless you're able to read Thai and know the true fact, you wouldn't jump in to make your unfounded comments so soon.FYI, this claim that the red shirts' blood is tainted is not only pure lie. The Ramatibadi hospital, which was claimed in this so-called ''medical report'' to be the place where the bllod was tested, has just come out and confirmed that there are no such records of any blood testing within their labs. It's sad that the anti-reds go as low as to make up such unfounded and damaging story

Surprise surprise, the so called doctor that supposedly and falsely claimed to have carried this ''testing'' was a PAD activist! Need I say more!

Nw you have my Thai wife worried

She has a large family back in Issan

and it only takes 2 or 3 people to start of an ecademic

what about the Monk who through blood at people

Is it time the Government stood up and started to act like a government

enoough is enough

Do this in America or Australia and you would be in a cell so fast

Come on Thailand, time for the Government to act like a Government

I didn't see that about the monk... could you expound more on this monk? or any monks that were involved in the demonstration, please?

I read about it yesterday. Apparently in Chiang Mai a monk named Phra Khru Suthep Sitthikhun actually smeared it directly onto people.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...ataID%3D1027113

The claims that the red blood were tainted doesn't require a medical test to confirm. Any time you have a large number of donors giving blood, some of it is going to be tainted with blood born illnesses. This is why when people are donating blood for use in the medical field they are given a pre-screening to help weed out those that are likely to be ill, and still have to manually test every bit of donated blood before passing it on to hospitals for use in transfusions.

Was this article a bit of anti-red propaganda? Sure seems like it. Were some of the claims in it false? Sounds like it. Is the general premise that the blood used also containted HIV and Hep virus wrong? Unlikely.

Do you guys seriously read all these mainstream newspapers and just believe them for what they are. Shame that unless you're able to read Thai and know the true fact, you wouldn't jump in to make your unfounded comments so soon.FYI, this claim that the red shirts' blood is tainted is not only pure lie. The Ramatibadi hospital, which was claimed in this so-called ''medical report'' to be the place where the bllod was tested, has just come out and confirmed that there are no such records of any blood testing within their labs. It's sad that the anti-reds go as low as to make up such unfounded and damaging story

Surprise surprise, the so called doctor that supposedly and falsely claimed to have carried this ''testing'' was a PAD activist! Need I say more!

could you link to a thai language news report so's i can check your claims for myself?

So whatever is written in Thai is "true fact"?

Can you post a link to your claim that this story is all made up? (any bets that if it exists it's from "Truth" Today?)

The replies to this story just show that no tactic is low enough to be condemned by the Red apologists. The whole blood voodoo episode embarrassed Thailand worldwide, as well as endangered people's health. But thats okay because a billionaire crook wants his money and power back? :)

Excellent post .

Even if the HIV virus was abble to live more then a few minutes outside the human body or in culture which it is not as far as i Know , UV from the sun would kill it as surely as the breeze of hydrogen peroxyde .

Well this doctor FunkyBaboon or something wont qualify for the Nobel price of medicin thats one given .

And if thai doctors are like him , next time i show up at Bumrumgrad , i'll ask for a discount

110% agree - just statistic medical data that exists in every population no matter what country.

I think you folks are missing the point. :)

Whether you agree with the Redshirts, or with the Aphisit government, it's the "potential" to pass the infection that creates the criminal issue.

In the USA, at the very least, this would be considered "Reckless Endangerment" and subject to criminal prosecution. However, if the Redshirt leadership who planned it, KNOWINGLY utilized infected blood it could be considered "Attempted Homocide". If someone actually contracts an incurable terminal disease from it, then the planners and perpetrators could be prosecuted for premeditated murder, or in the case of the PM's home, attempted assassination.

In the law you have to consider intent, and potential. Not just dismiss it as low probability. :D

You're talking way out of school. Just a minute statistical chance is "not reckless endangerment". We know the blood was not tested so there can be no intent to harm.

You would first have to show that some specific person or persons was at actual risk. I accept you dislike but no criminality is involved.

Seems like some people have the same solution for every event or utterance, throw them in jail or execute them. Come on folks. How about some sanity in the posts here?

How do we know how many of the reds knew that they are infected, but did not tell anyone when they donated their blood?

Disgusting act

people fighting for DEMOCRACY !!!! hahahahahahahha ahahahahahahah they want to reinstate a dictator and its clique of most corrupt politicians .... but its for democracy ...

i cannot stop laughing at some people gullibility

NOTE: this was to answer someone whose post disappeared who was saying that some newspaper was scoffing at " people fighting for democracy"

one of the unfortunate realities of a democracy is the people can elect a dictator if the want. Not all democratic decisions are good ones.

I doubt there's a recored case in history of an electorate voting in a candidate on the policy that they would 'end democratic rights'.

In practice, what happens is people elect someone who TURNS INTO a dictator. Most countries have a constitution or some kind of checks and balances to stop that happening. In Thailand's case, the constitution was not strong enough to stop Thaksin from finding loopholes that allowed him to get rid of all the institutions, or to place puppets of his own in them, that could check his obvious dictatorial tendencies. Anyone who was around at the time 2004 - 2006 will remember the increasingly maniacal public statements he was making, including one about refusing to talk to the press on issues of national importance because the astrological signs suggested he should not. Burmese generals spring to mind, the very ones he gave large sums of Thailand's money to as 'a loan' so they could buy, amongst other things, satellite equipment from his company, AIS.

Hmmm...

Edited by dobadoy

Shawndoc,

Great comment. I respect your view totally. I won't deny I support the red very quietly. Due to my profession, I should be ''neutral'' so I don't make biased comments and I wouldn't say I agreed with the blood campaign the reds carried out, yet I totally understand their call, and I fight their corner. I believe the poors and unpriveledged votes should count just as much. In the society where it all depends who you know, it's unsurprising people with little connection will feel frustated like this.

<deleted>

Or if you're Thai like me, you'd know wherte to go already. We don't want these websites that us,banned so , with a bit of research without me spelling them out.

How do we know how many of the reds knew that they are infected, but did not tell anyone when they donated their blood?

Disgusting act

Agreed. It would be presumed that any number of the HIV positive donors knew of their condition beforehand and knew the ramifications of slinging their blood about. That's easily-proven intent.

Anybody that got the blood splattered on them (or even more so the monk smearing on them) is a person at risk.

Elsewhere, criminality has been shown and proven in several instances involving HIV positive people intentionally trying to infect others.

So whatever is written in Thai is "true fact"?

Can you post a link to your claim that this story is all made up? (any bets that if it exists it's from "Truth" Today?)

The replies to this story just show that no tactic is low enough to be condemned by the Red apologists. The whole blood voodoo episode embarrassed Thailand worldwide, as well as endangered people's health. But thats okay because a billionaire crook wants his money and power back? :)

You must be one of those yellow apologist of the PAD , that stormed the airport :D

Edited by moresomekl

Yes you are quite correct but there were a few dong the IV blood donor thing...

It does give some very big ammunition to the Government though. Ha ha ha

Toxin's crowd are as dumb as he is

No. In a world full of properganda, anyone with an once of sense will read all the different accounts and decide what they believe is true and what is not. Not just believe the mainstream press OR the smaller Thai press.

Without a doubt this article is Yellow properganda, just as the article claiming that the test were never done is Red properganda. Now you just need to use your own intelligence to read between the lines and make a sensible, intelligent conclusion.

My conclusion (from reading both sides) is that if you collect blood in the manner that the Red shirts did from thousands of people (red, yellow or whatever) you are going to have ALOT of virus floating around and any doctor would agree that what the Redshirts done is a serious health hazard. Well, apart from the 'Doctor' whos idea it was!