Falling Out With Thai Friends...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for example... A female Thai TV member had a fall out with a French TV member who wanted to make amends but the Thai TV member blatantly refuses for the sake of losing face and shuns her whenever there are social gatherings.

Initially, the French girl was probably quite upset by this but I imagine by now she is past caring.

What did I tell you about airing my personal issues without a permission? You were not there. You don't know jackshit about it. So, stay out of it. I can tell you it's not about losing face. I'm still happy with my decision. If you can't respect other people's will, well, oh yeah, I've known that anyway.

Now who would that have been  :D  :o

Ah the "face thing"  :D

I and the big boss have got an agreement you'll leave me alone. Don't you know that? You just can't, can you?

Some of your earlier posts were just a defimation of character, and a childish yet very clever way of convincing anyone interested enough to read that you could never be in the wrong.

I did not discuss your private life full stop.

You have never met The Moog so I don't know why you were trying to 'get him on your side' and we will never speak again because this criticism will upset you and you will prove my point exactly.

There is a good reason you don't talk about your private life and a few of us know why only too well, so let's leave it there...

Now this is embarrassing, so if you want to fight this out and find out some painful facts in the process then you'd best e-mail me.

Funnily enough it isn't actually off topic but it is totally unsuitable and it's between us so leave it now that we've both had our say.

Thankyou.

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp

Oh trust me, I don't want Moog on my side. And I do talk about my private life. I also publish a part of it on my blog. But it's none of your business to air any of those.

And check your email. I've sent it minutes ago.

Thank you.

So, back on topic...

Do Thai's bear grudges more than westerners?

Well, for example... A female Thai TV member had a fall out with a French TV member who wanted to make amends but the Thai TV member blatantly refuses for the sake of losing face and shuns her whenever there are social gatherings.

Initially, the French girl was probably quite upset by this but I imagine by now she is past caring.

Example 2:

Myself and an Australian TV member have a fall out over a silly drunken incident in Phuket last November but within a couple of months we are good friends again.

Savvy?

I publicly apologise to LovelyCutie for the above post.

Now I'm not sure what happens next.

I too am angry and we have both fallen out over a silly reason and there is no right or wrong, there are always two sides, but friends do fall out sometimes and unless it is over something truly severe then they should make amends if they had a true friendship in the first place.

There's been a harsh exchange of words, it is now my job to swallow my pride and write an e-mail to see if things can be rectified and to see if falling out with Thai friends really is permenant, or not.

At the risk of sounding horribly out of the loop (but then again, that's the American specialty), I would say that this is, like with most things, a matter of individuals. Of my Thai friends (many) and American friends (likewise), I would say that I've encountered the hard grudge more often than not from the Americans. More often than not in scenarios that best exemplify "Loss of Face" as best as I understand it.

Now I can't think of a situation with my Thai friends where anything remotely close to that has happened, perhaps more likely than not because they virtually NEVER put themselves in positions where something in that vein is likely to happen. This might, in fact, explain the severity of "lost face" grudges amongst Thai people, just because the instances in which it happens are so rare. This is, however, just my own observations. I'd be interested in knowing, since a lot of you super-posters here have longer experience than I with all things Thai, has anyone else NOT had any problems in this regard?

A play what I wrote:

'LC and Scamp' (30 second version)

LC : 'I hate you , I hate you.'

Scamp : 'Queen of the Harpies, where are your claws O Harpy Queen?'

LC : 'You always smell of chicken mc'nuggets and unwashed pants'

Scamp: 'I love you'

LC: 'I love you, I love you, lets not fall out again'

Scamp; 'Lets be friends forever'

Edited by The_Moog

QUOTE(LovelyCutie @ 2005-05-29 15:13:12)

QUOTE(The Gentleman Scamp @ 2005-05-29 21:00:12)

I publicly apologise to LovelyCutie for the above post.

Apologies accepted.

Bluecat breathes huge sigh of relief as baton is passed to Scamp's next Landlord and Thai Guardian.
3. Do you know anything at all about my relationship with Scamp?

You know sweet F.A.

Scamp, would you care to comment on this unattributed quote from our fellow 'gay for a day' correspondent.

Now I'm not sure what happens next.

I too am angry and we have both fallen out over a silly reason and there is no right or wrong, there are always two sides, but friends do fall out sometimes and unless it is over something truly severe then they should make amends if they had a true friendship in the first place.

I agree with the first part of your post, Scampy. There are always 2 sides of a story and people should not take side. :o

As for the 2nd part, I disagree with you. I have very rarely experienced falls out with my friends. Actually, I think I had only a major one in my entire life. When you are friend with someone, you should always have the opportunity to talk about the problems you meet and start over.

As for the one I experienced, obviously my amends or appologies haven't been accepted and that's why I have decided to move on. No grudge, no anger, I leave it behind me.

You are refering to falling out with a Thai girl, yet you say that you never really got on with her anyway. :o

I think you were well out of order getting pissed up in her house then critisising her, you're lucky her old man did not whack you.

I think you like many other people that fail to survive in Thailand, look for ways to critisise Thai people, you maybe blaming Thailand and Thai people for your own failures.

It's common amongst the guys that come to Thailand , blow all their money and have to go back to where they came from and face reality again.

When you have some money in your pocket, things will look different. Good luck with your new job, don't piss all the money up the wall, save like a miser and give it another shot in a few years. :D

I think this thread has exceeded its usefulness.

Thread Closed.

//edit by RDN: I don't think "useful" was ever part of this thread's qualities :D . More like a "Kitchen sink drama" :o .

Edited by RDN