New Strain Of Malaria Hits Thailand

george

New strain of malaria hits Thailand

Video source: Aljazeera

BANGKOK: -- A drug-resistant strain of the disease malaria - first detected about 18 months ago near the Thailand-Cambodia border - is now showing up again along Thailand's border with Myanmar.

Many patients in the region taking anti-malarial drugs are now taking much longer to respond to treatment.

Medics fear the resistant strain could eventually spread to Africa, where most of the world's malaria cases and deaths occur.

Aela Callan reports from a clinic near the Thai town of Mae Sot on the border with Myanmar.

-- Aljazeera 2010-04-02

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the center for new strains is in Tak province, near Myanmar. They have international medics on standby to develop new medicine for resistant Malaria.

I think this year was the last, that the gov invited foreign doctors. There was a conference in February with African doctors this year.

Maybe there will be a second thought not to close it down.

I think they are looking for sponsors.

chlorine kills bacteria but can't defeat a virus.

well, Malaria isn't a virus.

you're right, I have confused it with something else

you guys are talking about something like this

It has long been used in the treatment or prevention of malaria. After the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum started to develop widespread resistance to chloroquine new potential utilisations of this cheap and widely available drug have been investigated. Chloroquine has been extensively used in mass drug administrations which may have contributed to the emergence and spread of resistance.

you're right, I have confused it with something else

you guys are talking about something like this

It has long been used in the treatment or prevention of malaria. After the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum started to develop widespread resistance to chloroquine new potential utilisations of this cheap and widely available drug have been investigated. Chloroquine has been extensively used in mass drug administrations which may have contributed to the emergence and spread of resistance.

DDT it works! :)

Pardon my "French" (excuse moi), but DDT DOES work, and I KNOW that there is a "lot of talk" in the chemist/ government business to re-introduce it, since it IS hazzourdous to parts of the food chain, but (percentage wise) does help more to combat several diseases than it does actually harm people (note the use of the word people here).

Anyway, DDT rules! (Trust me on this one)

DDT - is a pesticide is it not? - it might kill mosquitoes but it won't have any effect on Malaria.

dengue fever and Malaria are completely different diseases and

MMS is QUACKERY.

Edited by Deeral

DDT - is a pesticide is it not? - it might kill mosquitoes but it won't have any effect on Malaria.

MMS is QUACKERY.

Well, maybe sometimes it might pay out to be more attentive in school or to consult a children's encyclicopedia to get some more info.

DDT is a pesticide and as such it is used to kill mosquitoes. In the 50s and 60s millions of tons were used worldwide and it was effective in killing the mosquitoes spreading diseases like yellow fever, malaria and others. Once DDT was showing up in the food chain and many species of mosquitoes were starting to get resistent to DDT it was no more used in big quantities. Nowadays there are many much more efficient insecticides available than just DDT.

Insecticides like DDT will kill mosquitoes and therefore they will have an effect on malaria and dengue and others. Once the host, the mosquitoes, that are transferring the diseases to humans are killed these diseases have no means of being transferred to people.

Dengue fever and Malaria are two different diseases indeed - dengue is a hemorrhagic fever is caused by a virus and malaria is caused by a single cell organism (plasmodium sp.) - BUT both are carried and spread by mosquitoes.

Well at least you are completely right with one thing here: MMS is quackery

Nor a bacteria.

Malaria is caused by a parasite.

Dengue is caused by a virus.

Both diseases are carried by mosquitos - malaria primarily by anopheles and dengue primarily by aedes egypti. Other nasty diseases out there as well!

DM

Note to admins and mods: it is saddening that links to "miracle cures" lay healers and other looneys are tolerated here.

Although this is primarily a health forum, it is still a public forum where even "loonies" have some right to post. We, the moderators, try and make readers and forum users aware, when we come across yet another "miracle cure" of the dangers inherent in some of these chemicals. To some extent, it is also assumed that most readers are adult, responsible people who can distinguish between "snake oil" cures and conventional treatment and will not willy nilly follow advice given on an open forum.

Quackery and the proponents thereof usually discredit themselves without undue intervention from forum admin or mods sooner or later.

By the same token, advice given here based on proven and accepted medical management of certain diseases, should also not be taken as the ultimate authority and applied without proper research and professional medical consultation.

The problem of the development of resistant malaria along the Thai/Cambodia and Thai/Burmese border is blamed to a large extent on the availability of allmost all malaria meds known to man over the counter and from "alternate" vendors.

Poor rural people not only rely on self-diagnosis but also on self treatment. Drug dosages are frequently based on what can be afforded rather than what is appropriate; this very quickly leads to the development of resistant strains.

DDT was used extensively in Africa over many years; mainly because of the low cost involved. Houses and huts were sprayed extensively but, over time, it only changed the malaria vector from Anopheles gambiae (that was endophyllic and endophagic; in other words is stayed and fed primarily in indoor environments) to A. sinensis which had the opposite lifestyle but as effective in transmitting the parasite.

DDT is now showing up in the food chain (because of its affinity or and accumulation in body lipids) and, more concerning, in lactating mothers' breast milk. In an environment such as Africa where infant survival is very much related to and dependent on breast feeding, it is clearly a disaster.

Hydrogen peroxide and other heavy metals offered as "miracle cures" have no role to play in the management of potentially fatal diseases.

fighting nature with chemicals cant work... impossible

u always loose in the long run 100% sure about that

only way to win is to work with nature

all chemicals solutions are a dead end street...

a

"thai organic life"

can and should be the goal of everyone in thailand

Post under consideration and two replies to it now deleted. Poster is advised that the health forum rules on posting un-scientific or medically proven treatments also apply on medical information given on other parts of the forum.

MMS is QUACKERY.

MMS works. My wife used it last december on a very sick relative and she recovered in three days. This women in turn treated another woman with constant knee pain and it disappeared after three days. That woman had spent over 100'000 baht on docters without success. My mother uses MMS and it has opened up her nostrils and her memory has improved. if you research the topic better, you will see there are many people with success stories.

I believe you, apart from egg shells of birds, eating the bugs etc...

But what scares me is the possibility that the average Thai farmer won't give a dam_n (or know about) the food chain, and it will end up on our plates here in CM!!!

Not to mention the Thai rice export damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT

There is epidemiological evidence (i.e. studies in humans) that DDT causes cancer of the liver, pancreas and breast. There is mixed evidence that it contributes to leukemia, lymphoma and testicular cancer.

Be nice if they could invent some form of cloned fish eggs, that could be sprayed by air.. the ones that eat the mossies.

Probably way too expensive. There is the sterility inducing methods, can't rememeber how that works, some genetically modified females or similar.

dam_n those mozzies.

Im surprised there isnt sickle cell in Asia.

Edited by whiterussian

The problem of the development of resistant malaria along the Thai/Cambodia and Thai/Burmese border is blamed to a large extent on the availability of allmost all malaria meds known to man over the counter and from "alternate" vendors.

Poor rural people not only rely on self-diagnosis but also on self treatment. Drug dosages are frequently based on what can be afforded rather than what is appropriate; this very quickly leads to the development of resistant strains.

It's not just inadequate dosage of anti-malaria drugs that causes the appearance of resistant strains but, at least in the current case, the myriads of fake drugs sold in what looks like genuine packaging.  Even hospitals and pharmacies are often unaware of the drugs they are dispensing being fake ones. These then often contain only a fracture of the active ingredients which even when taken at the right dosage cannot overcome the plasmodium leading to resistances.   

Interestingly all Malaria related drug-resistances have originated from the area around Pailin at the Cambodia-Thai border and spread from there around the world.  Hence the concern about this latest drug-resistance because with no new treatments in sight and a vaccine also still a way off, it's spreading would be a disaster.  

Of course there is still one drug that will work and is also the oldest treatment known, Quinine...but it sure is not pleasant. 

Pardon my "French" (excuse moi), but DDT DOES work, and I KNOW that there is a "lot of talk" in the chemist/ government business to re-introduce it, since it IS hazzourdous to parts of the food chain, but (percentage wise) does help more to combat several diseases than it does actually harm people (note the use of the word people here).

Why would anyone trust someone spouting rubbish? DDT is an extremely dangerous chemical and has demonstrated negative attributes. What part of the chemical structure do you not understand? If it leached into the water supply of Thailand and appeared as runoff around the fish farms, the impact upon Thailand's aquaculture industry would be devastating. There was a long demonstrated list of harmful effects upon humans sufficient to get this substance banned. Do we need more animal species to be killed off to drive the point home. It is a longlasting chemical poison that gives the gift of unintended destruction long after it has been used.

The reason I use the term rubbish is that insects evolved to resist DDT. The process is termed selection. Those insects able to survive contact went on to breed and the genetic factor kept getting stronger in successive generations of insects. Unfortunately, in mammals we get a lot of cancers and birth defects before a resistance develops. Why use a dangerous pesticide with proven limitations?

The only countries still using DDT are North Korea, China and India. However, people born with birth defects are often disposed of quickly. As well, these are not countries known for their respect of habitat or conservation.

Chlorine dioxide sterilization of red blood cells for transfusion

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstract...=102210422.html

The use of sodium chlorite + lactic acid to form the oxidizing agent chloride dioxide (ClO2) and chlorous acid has been used as a laboratory sterilant for decades...using 5% dextrose as diluent and have exposed aliquots of washed RBC's spiked with HIV-1 for approximately 5 minutes to the sterilant; no detectible HIV-1 was assayed at 1:100...

I'm nor promoting, discrediting or supporting any belief about MMS or Chlorine dioxide, but suggest study of the subject before dismissing it completely.

Edited by jbhh

MMS started as allegedly successful drug for Malaria in Africa.

I was in email contact with the guy who created MMS and also read his books.

The way he acts, it's seems like SPAM to me, but nevertheless, if the inventor is strange and acts strange that doesn't necessarily mean that his invention or MMS is not working.

It really needs to be more researched and if someone would give MMS to these doctors who are trying to treat the malaria cases which are not responding well to other drugs and if they would agree in some kind of way to administer it (I can foresee a lot of difficulties here) to the sick - that sounds interesting. Especially if other drugs are failing.

The prize is here. Since it may be diffuclt to patent MMS and therefore to get monetary profit for it, the only way here is to convince some researches to try it and if found being effective perhaps the researcher himself will get a lot of publicity. Many people wrote positive stories about MMS from their personal experience and perhaps they are not because of placebo effect.

I have never personally tried MMS nor had any of my close friends to try it. But it sounds really interesting to have kind of "all-cure" medicine around. Being advertised as "all-cure" medicine however also makes other to consider it's spam. Go figure :).