Honda City (2009 Model)

I was recently a passenger in my partners car, and we collided with a concrete electric post.

The airbags failed to deploy.

Someone from Honda either Suratthani or BKK, came to the repairers and took photographs.

My partner had a call from BKK, and their reason that the airbags failed to deploy, was that the car struck the post in the centre of the front, and therefore the sensors did not register an impact.

What a load of rubbish!!!!!

The front of the car is a wreak. The impact was such that the radiator is now 'V' shaped and almost touching the generator and engine.

I cannot for the life of me find a contact to email in Japan, their feedback form is in Japanese.

If the sensors failed to register an impact in the centre of the front, then they need to install and extra one.

Another Japanese car needs recalling??

Are all cars made this way, with fussy sensors? :)

Airbags deployment is pretty intelligent. My mother's 2 year old Kia was scrapped (costing more to repair than a replacement vehicle...) after a front - side impact just a month ago, just saying that to point out that impact was very considerable indeed, and the airbags did not release. My mother asked the technician (not Thai but a knowledgeable Swedish accident investigator) and he confirmed that the airbags did correctly so not deploy in that case.

I don't believe the explanation of course, I don't think the one who said it had enough knowledge and should have kept his mouth shut, but I am not screaming recall either. It takes a lot, and should take a lot for airbags to deploy. Was this a really hard frontal impact or was it rather that the force was concentrated on a rather small area?

this is why on my new car i selected option- no airbag,no antilock breaks.. dam_n thing lull you into a false sense of security and when my car has an airbag i'm always thinking, 'Should i wear the seatbelt? maybe it's give me whiplash and better off just using the airbag, but what if i slam into the side glass where there is no airbag??? this way it's simple, wear the seatbelt or spill ur brains on the dashboard ..

and in most countries theres a seatbelt law anyways, so why the airbags? i hope they don't pass some stupid law here mandating airbags like they probably already done in the us since everycar i see there has one of those stupid things..

Edited by pkspeaker

this is why on my new car i selected option- no airbag,no antilock breaks.. dam_n thing lull you into a false sense of security and when my car has an airbag i'm always thinking, 'Should i wear the seatbelt? maybe it's give me whiplash and better off just using the airbag, but what if i slam into the side glass where there is no airbag??? this way it's simple, wear the seatbelt or spill ur brains on the dashboard ..

and in most countries theres a seatbelt law anyways, so why the airbags? i hope they don't pass some stupid law here mandating airbags like they probably already done in the us since everycar i see there has one of those stupid things..

He He He, correct. i prefere more steel around my car, than a f.... air bag. You can't even change to a nice a sport steering wheel if there would be a airbag law.

Do check that

1) The airbags are actually there, and were not used to repair another car.

2) If they are, that they are connected to the deployment system (no loose wires)

Knowing that deployment of airbags in a minor accident usually leads to a total write off (as the cost of replacement of said bags are extremely high) I won't be surprised to find that your airbags gone mysteriously missing, or aren't enabled.

While I like the stolen airbag theory and the insurance company disconnecting the airbag to save money.

The real cause is probably that the front of the car absorbed the energy as is evident by the reported bent plastic bumper , front panel and radiator, and that the level of deceleration was either not severe enough or did not last long enough for the airbag(s) to deploy.

There used to be only one G sensor in the old days under the drivers seat so there maybe nothing on the front of the car to trigger anything.

If the OP does some surfing he will find myriad instances of same in many cars , in many countries.

I'm with the low spec option poster. K.I.S.S.

Edited by VocalNeal

there are no sensors in the front of the car. air bag deployment is based on an accelerometer, which along with a microprocessor will make the determination on if the airbag will be deployed and with what force for dual stage bags. The most likely explanation is that the forces where not enough to trigger deployment. Because airbags are expensive manufactures try to prevent deployment in situations where the seat belt is sufficient. Based on the object you hit and the small amount of damage you must have not been going that fast.

Apart from the fact that a couple of posters seem to have no idea of the function of seat-belts and air bags (more steel???? - good luck with that should you ever have a serious prang!) - I would re-check with Honda Thailand - who on previous form are very uncooperative.

THe is a consumer protection phone number too in Thailand. - I think it's 1160 - you might try an wake them up!

many companies make it very difficult for consumers to get in contact with them - their customer service phone-lines are usually just a barrier between them and any serious complaint.

As above I doubt if a recall is really the requires action, however Honda really do owe you a detailed explanation which you might then want to take to some independent organisation for verification.

all this could take time - but you should also be thinking of how much compensation or gratuity Honda should offer you for all the hassle you've gone through.

Remember too that the last thing Honda want is for this to be all over the newspapers and media - especially the media where they are looking for customers.

sop I would embark on a campaign to make myself heard and a thorn in the side of Honda Thailand until I get a result - good luck.

Edited by Deeral

Apart from the fact that a couple of posters seem to have no idea of the function of seat-belts and air bags (more steel???? - good luck with that should you ever have a serious prang!) - I would re-check with Honda Thailand - who on previous form are very uncooperative.

THe is a consumer protection phone number too in Thailand. - I think it's 1160 - you might try an wake them up!

many companies make it very difficult for consumers to get in contact with them - their customer service phone-lines are usually just a barrier between them and any serious complaint.

As above I doubt if a recall is really the requires action, however Honda really do owe you a detailed explanation which you might then want to take to some independent organisation for verification.

all this could take time - but you should also be thinking of how much compensation or gratuity Honda should offer you for all the hassle you've gone through.

Remember too that the last thing Honda want is for this to be all over the newspapers and media - especially the media where they are looking for customers.

sop I would embark on a campaign to make myself heard and a thorn in the side of Honda Thailand until I get a result - good luck.

Compensation for what? Did u forget we living in Thailand (not in US) and who droves the car in a post? Not Honda Company. In US or in Europe for sure, the police would maybe even suspend your license for 3 months as they would say: You are not beaible to control your car. So not always think about suing. We living in Thailand. More steel??? Yes, why not. I have more steel around my cars, My father and my grandfather had also more steel on their cars. No air bags, no ABS at all, and both of them had several bad accidents. My Father had a Opel Senator (which he totalled in a mountain road on ice) and my Grandfather had a old Benz 250 from 1970 (which he had a frontal collision with another car). Both guys never saw a Hospital from inside (for car accident reasons). And i my self drive every year about 40'000 km since 30 year now and i never needed a air bag (og my lord, i still alive and i also cross the sukhumvit road may times per month). For small cars is maybe good to have a airbag, but better more steel around. In Spain and Italy there are airbag thefts who destroy the cars (windows, doorpanels, conosoles and dashboards). So after 3 times of "airbag theft" per year you wish you never bought a car with airbags).

Compensation for what? Did u forget we living in Thailand (not in US) and who droves the car in a post? Not Honda Company. In US or in Europe for sure, the police would maybe even suspend your license for 3 months as they would say: You are not beaible to control your car. So not always think about suing. We living in Thailand. More steel??? Yes, why not. I have more steel around my cars, My father and my grandfather had also more steel on their cars. No air bags, no ABS at all, and both of them had several bad accidents. My Father had a Opel Senator (which he totalled in a mountain road on ice) and my Grandfather had a old Benz 250 from 1970 (which he had a frontal collision with another car). Both guys never saw a Hospital from inside (for car accident reasons). And i my self drive every year about 40'000 km since 30 year now and i never needed a air bag (og my lord, i still alive and i also cross the sukhumvit road may times per month). For small cars is maybe good to have a airbag, but better more steel around. In Spain and Italy there are airbag thefts who destroy the cars (windows, doorpanels, conosoles and dashboards). So after 3 times of "airbag theft" per year you wish you never bought a car with airbags).

Am I correct in thinking you would prefer a car such as a Mercedes S class without airbags because you think it would be safer than a Mercedes S class with Air bags ?

There is certainly enough steel on one of these cars and they are significantly heavier than an S Class of yesteryear.

Each to their own, but I really can't see the logic in that. Because my relative didn't die in x crash and he didnt have airbags is not a sufficient argument to suggest they are not necessary.

In Spain and Italy, supplying cars without airbags is not the solution against these thefts - The same thieves would turn to something else and that logic would have us removing Satnav, Radios, Leather seats and any other form of luxury from our cars - In those countries the solution is to remove the thief not the object of their theft.

Am I correct in thinking you would prefer a car such as a Mercedes S class without airbags because you think it would be safer than a Mercedes S class with Air bags ?

There is certainly enough steel on one of these cars and they are significantly heavier than an S Class of yesteryear.

Each to their own, but I really can't see the logic in that. Because my relative didn't die in x crash and he didnt have airbags is not a sufficient argument to suggest they are not necessary.

In Spain and Italy, supplying cars without airbags is not the solution against these thefts - The same thieves would turn to something else and that logic would have us removing Satnav, Radios, Leather seats and any other form of luxury from our cars - In those countries the solution is to remove the thief not the object of their theft.

You missed the point. I mean more steel. Not new Benz against old ones, i mean: A 30 year old S or E Class (without air bags) would be saver than a new "Chinese Cherry" with air bags. Therefore i mean more steel. Just a normal 1980 Volvo 264 would be saver than a Yaris or a Jazz with airbags, for example. Back in Switzerland one of my best freinds get paralised in a Renault R 5 Turbo, after hitting a house wall with 60km/h (Of corse in LOS would be the housewall broken, not the car, laking the quality built houses). If my friend drove a Camaro or a Volvo instead he wouln't be paralized now. Therefoe i mean more steel (instead of plastic). BTW if someone is so paranoid and scare about anything should not even living in LOS. The house could collaps or you get hit by a car, when walking or bicycling on the road, etc. There are manythings much more risky in your ife, than driving a car without airbags.

Edited by stingray

In tests done recently in the UK it was proven that the old idea of "big steel" against new small technology saw death in the old big car and mere scratches in the new small car.

Not liking new motors is one thing but thinking that motors from yesteryear are safer is like saying the world is flat. It is, until you don't fall off.

Just a normal 1980 Volvo 264 would be saver than a Yaris or a Jazz with airbags, for example.

A Jazz or City is much safer then a 1980s Volvo. It's not as heavy as a 264 but much better engineered with regards to crash safety. A Camry or Accord would be even better. Heavier and much better engineering.

I do certainly not advocate not having airbags because they don't deploy easily. Airbags is a great invention and do increase the probability of getting through a bad accident with less injuries

Safety belt or not is up to the individual person but has absolutely nothing to do with airbags

In tests done recently in the UK it was proven that the old idea of "big steel" against new small technology saw death in the old big car and mere scratches in the new small car.

Not liking new motors is one thing but thinking that motors from yesteryear are safer is like saying the world is flat. It is, until you don't fall off.

Do you have a link to those test results?

Do you have a link to those test results?

Nicely written Torrenova, reminds me of 30 years ago when seat belts were still young and some people tried to argue that it was safer without them because they would be stuck in the car if it caught fire... :)

pj, I am not wasting my time but by all means, search the internet if you feel you have to

It's quite simple - if I buy a product that claims it will deploy air bags in a certain situation and it doesn't the manufacturer is to blame- any resulting damages are payable by the company. whether loss of earnings repairs or shock simple.

If however the airbag behaves correctly in the event - which I suspect may be the case - then he has no claim.

honda will certainly not want to have it publicised that their airbags do not work.

modern monocoque constructed cars are designed with "crumple zones" to absorb impact - this is why they are safer than "solid steel" - but this also means that even in a relatively mild incident they can sustain quite considerable damage to bodywork etc outside the passenger "cage" - this often is misinterpreted as "weakness" in the car - it is not, it is intentional absorption of the impact to protect the occupants form coming to a sudden and violent stop themselves and minimising their injuries.

as fot the rest of the post by stingray - well it's utter nonsense!

Edited by Deeral