Price For A Reasonable Quality Suit

corkman

I paid 8,000 Baht for a good quality custom tailored suit with high quality imported fabric. It took a few days and there were two or three fittings. You will see some tailors that are cheaper and faster than this but from what I have seen the quality is quite a bit lower. This was only for the jacket and pants.

3000 baht should get you a nice polyester suit, 4000 will get polywool, and 5000 pure wool or Italian cashmere may cost 6 000 .

Anything over 6000 is a total rip off.

What ever price they quote you-half it and you will be close to the actual price.

My advice would be first choose the material and make sure they do not swap it, after you agreed on the price. Ask them to cut it in front of your eyes.

I have heard too many stories about poorly made suits- even the expensive 8000 baht ones. I would recommend investing in a good quality ready made name brand - armani, boss- sure it will cost more (800 US$ + ) but i find they last for years.

Sorry to say, newbie, that the replies to your inquiry are all off the mark, save the first one. I can't say on his quote of 8K, unless I knew the tailor and the fabric in my hand. Bottom line. The tailor and his reputation are the only issues.The price is secondary. I have had several suits made here and have shopped the market extensively. 8K will get you a suit from an unknown tailor in a medium grade worsted wool, at best. The uninformed suggestion to buy a real Armani for $800 is a joke. Real money is 2-3000 US and up.

If you truly want a suit from Bangkok, buy only from the best and forget the price. That would be Mr R, on soi Nana 4. Start at about 12K to $15K for Brit wool/cashmere. None finer , anywhere on earth. He dresses the presidents of the USA, the prime minister and many many others, including a peasant like me. There , you will be treated royally, and measured properly and tailored to world class standards. My R, is , of course, Indian, his tailors are Thai.

Sorry to say, newbie, that the replies to your inquiry are all off the mark, save the first one. I can't say on his quote of 8K, unless I knew the tailor and the fabric in my hand. Bottom line. The tailor and his reputation are the only issues.The price is secondary. I have had several suits made here and have shopped the market extensively. 8K will get you a suit from an unknown tailor in a medium grade worsted wool, at best. The uninformed suggestion to buy a real Armani for $800 is a joke. Real money is 2-3000 US and up.

If you truly want a suit from Bangkok, buy only from the best and forget the price. That would be Mr R, on soi Nana 4. Start at about 12K to $15K for Brit wool/cashmere. None finer , anywhere on earth. He dresses the presidents of the USA, the prime minister and many many others, including a peasant like me. There , you will be treated royally, and measured properly and tailored to world class standards. My R, is , of course, Indian, his tailors are Thai.

I hope you joking!

Such a known tailor, who dresses the US Presidents and PM would have little more self respect and brain not to be located in Soi Nana, the red light street of BKK. I can just imagine PM or President arriving to Soi Nana!

I hope you joking!

Such a known tailor, who dresses the US Presidents and PM would have little more self respect and brain not to be located in Soi Nana, the red light street of BKK. I can just imagine PM or President arriving to Soi Nana!

Well he'd have a ready made ( or should that be tailor made) excuse if the Papparazzi snapped him near Nana Plaza :)

There was an article today in the Bangkok Post about Thailand Tailors in the Spectrum section. It talked about a web site that recomended tailor shops. What it did not say was weather or not the Webmaster received advertising or commision fee's from these shops. I did try one of the shops on this web site once and it was horrible. They tried every scam mentioned in the article.

I have been using Majestic Tailors on Sukhumvit just above Soi 4 for many many years and they are great. The material is top notch the fit is always great. They have been around for years and there is many good post on this forum about them.

I just had a suit made at Rajawongse (at Nana, close to Landmark Hotel) for 12 000 THB (standard price for all suits there). Took about two weeks including two fittings (a few days is not enough for a good suit). The suit is of very good quality, made of 100% Kashmere wool and I'm happy with it. The shop is usually very crowded (which is a good sign I guess), especially after 6 PM. Rajawongse is a very reputable tailor in Bangkok. Whatever you do, don't go for the "2 suits, 4 shirts, 2 pants and 4 ties" deals for 200 USD or a 3000 THB suit. There are plenty of bad tailors, sorry, scammers in Bangkok, so be careful.

Thank you for everyone's replies.

Whatever you do, don't go for the "2 suits, 4 shirts, 2 pants and 4 ties" deals for 200 USD or a 3000 THB suit. There are plenty of bad tailors, sorry, scammers in Bangkok, so be careful.

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid :)

So, if I budget somewhere between 8,000 and 12,000 baht for a reasonable suit, then I shouldn't be too far off?

I'm not the vice president of an multi-national ...... just your regualr expat, on yoru regualr expat package..... while I would like to think I could afford to dress like "American Presidents" and the like, the reality is that I am not quite in that league.... financially anyway :D

Many thanks - and any other recommendations on places to check out would be greatly received.

I paid 8,000 Baht for a good quality custom tailored suit with high quality imported fabric. It took a few days and there were two or three fittings. You will see some tailors that are cheaper and faster than this but from what I have seen the quality is quite a bit lower. This was only for the jacket and pants.

I paid around the same as well, but I did it differently

First I go to Phhurat wholesale market top on Yaorawt (china town) where I get the fabric i want.

Cashmere / linen, I have there more choice and better price that the tailor offers me.

Cost to cut a nice suit range from 3500 to 4500 Bht + fabric up to you !

http://www.bangkokpicture.com/shopping/pahurat.php

I hope you joking!

I agree with Bellagrego...probably the best in BKK IMHO and I've been to many. Ask for Bobby, son of original Rajah.

US Military, Marine, Consulate, Embassy among other countrie's counterparts use him. Rajah's will visit you if you are a president or PM of course.

So you are quite correct, PM's and Presidents do not visit Sukhumvit soi 4 (soi Nana Thai). They get their BJs, nookies and cookies in their hotels. They get their PJs from Jim Thompsons. They get new suits from Bobby...don't you know how rumpled a suit can get in ultra first-class? Tsk! BTW I was President of a tennis club, stayed in many fancy joints, but only the cookies are free! :)

Thairet