Open Usa Bank Account

Hi,

I need to open a bank account in the USA (I am a British citizen) so I wondered if anyone has managed to do it from here.

I phoned HSBC bank (I assume they are the only option as they operate world wide) and they said if I go down with my passport and proof of address in the UK they will be able to do it. Of course over here you can be told one thing but get there and you can't.

I would just go and find out then, but I really need to know by tuesday if its possible, but I can't actually get down to the bank until wednesday.

Also, does anyone know if you do this do you have to deposite a minumim amount of cash into the account? It is just a standard current account I need (yo c0e4857a15a2a2ehave to deposit $15,000 plus 500,000bt a month to open an account with them here which will be out of the question if any similar rules apply for USA under these circumstances.l

Thanks

It is possible for a UK citizen to open a bank account in the US and in the case of HSBC, this can be done via another HSBC branch. I can't speak to the costs of the account except to say that if you have an HSBC Premier account somewhere in the world then the US account will be free.

Hi,

Thanks, I've emailed ingdirect to check if I opened it online with them if it would count as a valid USA account for my purposes.

Dragonquest, you don't have a link to where you say you can open one online do you? I found somewhere to open it online but it says you have to be a US resident.

https://quickaccount.us.hsbc.com/jsp/oao/re...homeid=99992084

Thanks

I could be wrong but to open an account in a bank in the US you have to be a US resident. (Addresses in the US). Just because the bank has an overseas branch does not entitle you to a US account. This subject was covered a while back on the Chiang Mai form.

Besides HSBC stands for HongKong Shanghai Banking Corporation not exactly an "American" originated corporation in spite of it having a long standing operational relationship in the States, surprisingly though there is a branch of Bank of America and Citi as well in downtown Bangkok but I can't advise you more then that other then to say I always thought as Gotlost has explained..

Edited by WarpSpeed

You don't have to be a US resident to open a US bank account, it's a popular myth spawned by the passing of the Patriot Act. As with most other countries, all that's required is that you can be positively identified and supply a home address that can be proven - once you've done those things you are given "exempt" status for tax and reporting purposes. I opened a USD account with HSBC in NY about two years ago on the back of my existing HSBC accounts in the UK, Hong Kong and Thailand and it was all very straight forward.

Edited by chiang mai

2 years ago I opened an account with Bank of America, I did it in person and had to show a US address, as far as I can recall there is no minimum requirement to open the account.

If you have money in Thailand which you want to deposit in US account I found that UOB will issue a $ money order/bank draft, with no real hassle.

I think I am right in saying that you should declare any money over $10k being taken into US.

Edited by ThailandTommy

The reasons I'm doubting it will work are similar to what golost has said. I'm dealing with a real estate agent in the US, and he checked for me with his bank, and they said its not possible to open a bank account there without being there (unless I guess you are a citizen) post 9/11.

Guess I'll just have to hope chiang mai is right and give it a go, though I don't currently have an HSBC bank in UK, so this is maybe why you could do it, and you were in NY at the time? HSBC BKK said I could do it when I phoned them, but like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by Flatlander

The reasons I'm doubting it will work are similar to what golost has said. I'm dealing with a real estate agent in the US, and he checked for me with his bank, and they said its not possible to open a bank account there without being there (unless I guess you are a citizen) post 9/11.

Guess I'll just have to hope chiang mai is right and give it a go, though I don't currently have an HSBC bank in UK, so this is maybe why you could do it, and you were in NY at the time? HSBC BKK said I could do it when I phoned them, but like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm a Brit although I do have a green card for the USA but I don't have a home in the US. If you are the least bit uncertain, go see HSBC in Bangkok and ask them although if you don't already have an HSBC account somewhere I'm uncertain as to what they might say - trying talking with Waree at HSBC..

I think it would be difficult or impossible even if you are a citizen and living abroad.  The last account I opened was at a credit union and I had to mail them a copy of my electric billing showing my US address to qualify.  They clearly want to distinguish bona fide residents from those with just a local mailing address.

However, I still maintain a valid USA mailing address.

I think this statement is the answer. "Big Brother" US government is tightening the noose around anyone trying to take money out of the US and they want to make sure the money is taxed.

I have banked with JP Morgan Chase for 15 years, 5 of them while living here in LOS. I just received a notice from them saying I must have a US street address on file or they will block any future wire transfers I try to make. They said this was necessary due to the compliance regulations. I have only used a military APO address since I have been here in LOS but now suddenly this is not good enough.

Edited by longball53098