Nationwide Cash Card

Just got a letter from nationwide regards the cash card account and they are changing it to a cash card + the only BIG problem you wont be able to withdraw cash abroad the only reason i use nationwide is my girl friend has my card and i can put money in without paying charges for international payment with my main bank lloyds to thailand its coming in between june 2010 and september 2010 the women said down the phone it was security issues.

what are my options when this happens for transfering money without using my main bank or western union

cheers

mick

I have been in touch with NW and You are ok if you have the Visa Debit Card, these will not be affected. The Cirrus or cash cards are the ones which will be no good. If you dont have a Visa card try upgrading to one at your branch or if here in LOS online or by post.

Have you tried using your card to make online transfers to a Thai bank? I do this with my NW card, very easy online though you do have to have your card reader with you and of course a Thai bank to transfer to. I can transfer any amount over at a cost of £20 per transaction so worth it for large amounts. It is very efficient and takes about 3 working days. You get a tracking code and e-mail notification when the transaction is processed. I can thoroughly recommend this service, it is very user friendly and up to now, (touch wood), it has worked well for me.

• 5 weeks later...
Have you tried using your card to make online transfers to a Thai bank? I do this with my NW card, very easy online though you do have to have your card reader with you and of course a Thai bank to transfer to. I can transfer any amount over at a cost of £20 per transaction so worth it for large amounts. It is very efficient and takes about 3 working days. You get a tracking code and e-mail notification when the transaction is processed. I can thoroughly recommend this service, it is very user friendly and up to now, (touch wood), it has worked well for me.

but at what rate? i see xe.com (trade rate, not midrates) are about 2% lower than the visa wholesale rate you get at the ATM using Nationwide Flex visa debit.

At this moment xe.com trade rate = 1 GBP = 47.9616 THB

Yesterday at Ayutthaya ATM (no 150 baht charge) 48.789 THB

That amounts to a fair bit on large transfers, and you pay an extra £20