Getting Settled Down In Koh Samui

I am living near the Big Budha north of Chaweng at Muay Thai Jungle Gym.

I have the following questions:

I want high speed internet connection. Is there a wireless/USB one I can use all over the country of Thailand? Or, is it based only in Koh Samui?

If I needed a package mailed to me quickly, what address should I use?

DO YOU KNOW ANYONE IN ANY OF THE BELOW CATEGORIES?

I would like to say I am pretty cool, but I am still looking for expats to hangout with me

*Guys on an exericise and diet regimen

*Guys that do Muay Thai, because I want to do that.

*English speaking bachelors ages 21-37 that like to do their fair share of picking up women.

*Young Americans 21-37. (I am from San Francisco)

*Expats that don't drink much.

Where is the best workout facility (aka exercise gym) or muay thai training facility near the Big Budha, Chaweng, Bangrat?

Where is the best place to learn Thai in my area?

Are there any American bars in my area? Are there any places where Americans might hang out?

Thanks,

Pinballwizard

Mobile internet is quite good, I have a vodafone mobile dongle & paid 1600 baht in pantip plaza, Bangkok. It takes a one 2 call sim card & unlimited internet is 1k baht a month or 699 if you have the blackberry package. My friend bought a dongle at one of the mobile phone shops in the Tesco Lamai complex, she paid 3k baht but got 50hrs a month included for 6 months. My vodafone dongle was 2,400 baht at the same shop in Samui. I use mine all over Thailand & even in the car whilst travelling.

Can't help with the rest, not American, nor male. :)

I have another question:

I am going to get fat really fast unless I make some dietary changes:

At home I was eating:

Oatmeal, whey protein shakes, chicken, fish, salads, vegetables.

Here it is more:

white rice, curries, pork, beef, fruit shakes, bread, etc. These will fatten me.

I have discovered:

Papaya salad which seems to be filling.

I think I may be able to swich from fruit shakes to fruit.

The soups seem to lack fat.

There are lot of healthy Japanese restaurants around here.

Any other healthy suggestions?

I think I have seen poridge...where is that at?

Do any of you guys know of some healthy restaurants (breakfast, lunch, dinner) in Chaweng or Bangrat?

What about health stores?

Restaurants suck in general. Perhaps I can find something at the store that is healthy to eat (lean protein, high fiber, nutritious)?

Edited by pinballwizard

Tesco & Big C sell quaker oats & local brand porridge. The Spa, Lamai have one of the best health food restaurants on the island so I am told. Most places offer a healthier choice of breakfast, yogurt, fruit & toast or rice soup. Papaya salad (som tum) is a good lunch option, get Kanom jin (white noodles) instead of sticky rice & some grilled bbq chicken. Very low fat & tasty option.

Order curries but ask them to leave out the coconut milk/cream then only take half the rice, noodle soup minus the processed meat balls, glass noodle salad, clear soup with tofu & minced pork, steamed fish.. All healthier food options that most thai food restaurants will offer.

But unless you are prepared to cook for yourself then it will just take you going around to a few places & checking out the different options on the menu.

Regarding American bars you could try the Catcantoo in Bangrak run by Jay who is from California. His place has an excellent kitchen so I'm sure you will find something healthy hiding away amongst the ribs and steaks. :)

I am starting a detox at the Spa Resort Lamai this week. I am also from the States. Come on down and check it out. Seems to be full of interesting characters. I am sure you will find many other Americans on Koh Samui. Certainly seem to be much more here now then when I was here a few years ago. Especially around the Maenam area.

T.I.T.! enjoy and discover this life!

agreed, go explore and please share what you discover. the island has changed greatly over the lat 10 years with many new gyms, and eateries. new arrivals that explore find the places that old timers dont bother looking for.

I have another question:

I am going to get fat really fast unless I make some dietary changes:

At home I was eating:

Oatmeal, whey protein shakes, chicken, fish, salads, vegetables.

Here it is more:

white rice, curries, pork, beef, fruit shakes, bread, etc. These will fatten me.

I have discovered:

Papaya salad which seems to be filling.

I think I may be able to swich from fruit shakes to fruit.

The soups seem to lack fat.

There are lot of healthy Japanese restaurants around here.

Any other healthy suggestions?

I think I have seen poridge...where is that at?

Do any of you guys know of some healthy restaurants (breakfast, lunch, dinner) in Chaweng or Bangrat?

What about health stores?

Restaurants suck in general. Perhaps I can find something at the store that is healthy to eat (lean protein, high fiber, nutritious)?

As already mentioned, oat is for sale at all the malls.

Porridge is sold each morning from very early till about 8 or 8.30am (pending on when they run out) at a small stall not too far away from you, go direction Big Buddha and opposite the second 7-11 (same side of the road) is a small porridge stall, open almost every morning. It's a small area where various Thai breakfast thingies are sold.

There's a vegetarian restaurant at the end of Bang Rak towards Bophud in a small resort at the oceanside, Yara or something.

Chicken and fish are widely available, opposite the dive shop near the Seatran pier in Bang Rak is a chicken BBQ stall that sells a full BBQ chicken for just 120,-THB.

Best Japanese restaurant is Sakana in my opinion, on the hill leading up to Makro, other side of the road followed by Yamato in Soi Colibri in Chaweng. Easiest and most convenient (and cheapest) option will be Fuji at Tesco Lotus.

@Boo, maybe time for a sex change OP and a blue passport from Kao San Road :)

Edited by limbos

Near where I live, Lamai central, there is a Muay Thai gym. The Thai's seem to like training with falangs and I often seem them pair off. Going for a run together. One Thai with one falang. Then I see Thai teaching falang how to kick etc and then they have a fight. Thai always wins.

The main point is they seem to be geared up to introducing and teaching Muay Thai to falangs. Girls as well. Although it's not my thing I cant help but notice that it seems to be propery organised with everybody enjoying.

I would like to say I am pretty cool, but I am still looking for expats to hangout with me

so modest

*English speaking bachelors ages 21-37 that like to do their fair share of picking up women.

shouldn't be a problem on samui

erm..... :D

....and he doesn't mean 'this is thailand'. :)

Where is the best workout facility (aka exercise gym) or muay thai training facility near the Big Budha, Chaweng, Bangrat?

Hmm.. aren't you living at a "workout facility" with a boxing ring etc..???

That's what i couldn't work out..

And that is why I rent my apartment there. But, It gets pretty hot...I am also looking for other options... It would be very cool to find sort of miyagi karate kid type teacher to take me under his wing and do Muay Thai... something that will give more purpose than what I am seeing on the island.

And I have a lot of physical pain so its important that I take care of it.

No offense to those that are enjoying themselves with the usual booze, tobacco, soccer games and thai hookers. Its getting old...its just not me.

I feel like I am getting the piss taking out of me here.

Maybe it's a late april fools.

I mean travel half around the world from SF in hope of meeting fellow americans in a bar that dont drink much. Live at training facility but not actually notice it.

You dont need to drink to go to a bar. What does that say about you? No, dont answer that. Flame someone else's thread.

I live at a training facility, and the people are nice, but I am looking for the best training that meets my particular needs. Not just any.

I met up with MacaroniMan this evening. He told me about Centara... its air conditioned. He also swims at a pool for 500 baht a month. I like the Bikram yoga... much more expensive than SF. He was telling about a good trainer.

I moved to tropics for warm air because I constantly felt sick in colder climates. Health is a priority. Why do I feel like I have to justify this or the fact that I want to meet up with my own nationality?

I have been to 40 countries and spent 6 years out of the country. But, I still like having a few guys around that I really relate with. Are you assumming, I am some sort of cultural illiterate and that I stick to my own? Please dont respond. Its rhetorical. Your not welcome on my thread.

wish you all the best and good luck. After being here for 4 years I've long given up looking for friends or people to talk with. I find most people here are usually into similiar groups but not always like

1. drinking at the bars every night

2. busy with working all the time

3. running around with the thai bar girls

4. The retired folks

5. Those with kids to raise

6. etc

I find life to be easier since all I do is go to work, then when the day ends read my newspaper or play around with linux distro's. or watch a movie.

so modest

shouldn't be a problem on samui

erm..... :D

....and he doesn't mean 'this is thailand'. :)

Know what you mean. From what i've read from the OP's posts i shall avoid him like the plague :D

Know what you mean. From what i've read from the OP's posts i shall avoid him like the plague :)

Wow, but I love you and want to be with you! I want to spend my time with someone who spends half their day talking about football and the other half consists of quickly judging people and saying negative things and tries to pass it off as good fun, and "taking the piss out of someone". Sounds like you found your purpose in life!

Let me be judgmental now. Do you have snaggle teeth, do you smoke and drink heavily too? You are the cartoon I have been looking for!

----

On another note, I met up with a good guy from Manchester last night...the best fit since I arrived. Law of averages Carmine...some people are cool and some suck.

Edited by pinballwizard

Maybe it's a late april fools.

I mean travel half around the world from SF in hope of meeting fellow americans in a bar that dont drink much. Live at training facility but not actually notice it.

You dont need to drink to go to a bar. What does that say about you? No, dont answer that. Flame someone else's thread.

I live at a training facility, and the people are nice, but I am looking for the best training that meets my particular needs. Not just any.

I met up with MacaroniMan this evening. He told me about Centara... its air conditioned. He also swims at a pool for 500 baht a month. I like the Bikram yoga... much more expensive than SF. He was telling about a good trainer.

I moved to tropics for warm air because I constantly felt sick in colder climates. Health is a priority. Why do I feel like I have to justify this or the fact that I want to meet up with my own nationality?

I have been to 40 countries and spent 6 years out of the country. But, I still like having a few guys around that I really relate with. Are you assumming, I am some sort of cultural illiterate and that I stick to my own? Please dont respond. Its rhetorical. Your not welcome on my thread.

Erh...it's actually not your thread mate :)

Know what you mean. From what i've read from the OP's posts i shall avoid him like the plague :)

Wow, but I love you and want to be with you! I want to spend my time with someone who spends half their day talking about football and the other half consists of quickly judging people and saying negative things and tries to pass it off as good fun, and "taking the piss out of someone". Sounds like you found your purpose in life!

Let me be judgmental now. Do you have snaggle teeth, do you smoke and drink heavily too? You are the cartoon I have been looking for!

----

On another note, I met up with a good guy from Manchester last night...the best fit since I arrived. Law of averages Carmine...some people are cool and some suck.

Yes indeed

To the OP IT IS NOT YOUR THREAD.Once you post , it is open to all & sundry. May I also point out, it is within a hair's breadth of a troll.So I would be very cautious.

You are rapidly gaining a reputation here a a rude self opinionated #####. And you are well wide of the mark as well. :D

Try listening rather than jumping in with both feet mate. :)