Old Win2000 Laptop

h90

I reactivate my old 366 Mhz Celeron Siemens Laptop

Actually it works fine, but it has only 256 MB Ram and that is also the maximum you can put in.

so ram is the problem.

So I need to make the Win2K as slim as possible, What can I do? First I'll need a Registry cleaner, or? Which one is good?

I need to let it run with modem and sometimes on the nework. But nothing else, which services can I disable and how can I make sure that it does not load useless driver like the infrared (which is anyway broke), serial/parallel port which is not used, Disk drive, which is not working.

only I myself is working on it.

thanks for any help!

I've got a mobile celeron 366 laptop with 192 Mb ram and it runs win2K perfectly smooth without having to trim down the windows installation...

Remember Win2K came out when that kind of specifications was the norm. (even 192Mb was considered a heap back then :o )

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/win2k_services/print.shtml

that is good for services - but other than the security issue with some of the services (such as remote reg-edit) they will save you a knats pee in a lake worth of ram or cpu speed.

I ran W2K on a 128 MB ram for 5 years, and even now use W2K with 256 MB of ram and that is plenty, even when using Bit torrent and Photoshop.

Or are you still playing Quake etc....

Pandit for you the case is real different, you run Win3.11 only the salesguy told you it is win2K.....

you can not compare your case with my case.

these are two 640 KByte moduls in your PC not MB.....

But if I ever get some questions about the config.sys and the autoexec.bat, please allow me to ask you....

:o

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/win2k_services/print.shtml

that is good for services - but other than the security issue with some of the services (such as remote reg-edit) they will save you a knats pee in a lake worth of ram or cpu speed.

I ran W2K on a 128 MB ram for 5 years, and even now use W2K with 256 MB of ram and that is plenty, even when using Bit torrent and Photoshop.

Or are you still playing  Quake etc....

I reactivate my old 366 Mhz Celeron Siemens Laptop

Actually it works fine, but it has only 256 MB Ram and that is also the maximum you can put in.

so ram is the problem.

So I need to make the Win2K as slim as possible, What can I do? First I'll need a Registry cleaner, or? Which one is good?

I need to let it run with modem and sometimes on the nework. But nothing else, which services can I disable and how can I make sure that it does not load useless driver like the infrared (which is anyway broke), serial/parallel port which is not used, Disk drive, which is not working.

only I myself is working on it.

thanks for any help!

Get into the bios, and disable hardware that you will not be using. Also run msconfig, get into the startup folder, and uncheck programs that you don't need starting up when the system boots up.