Possible To Get Hi-speed Internet

i am considering going back down to live on ko phangan, since i now have contracts from the US that i can do from anywhere as long as i have an internet connection... but i have heard i can not move my True service to the island. if i rented a place in ban kai or thereabouts, what is the likelihood of my being able to get a hi-speed connection set up- anyone know?

i am considering going back down to live on ko phangan, since i now have contracts from the US that i can do from anywhere as long as i have an internet connection... but i have heard i can not move my True service to the island. if i rented a place in ban kai or thereabouts, what is the likelihood of my being able to get a hi-speed connection set up- anyone know?

first of all i would say post on the samui forum. i think you can get ADSL outside of tongsala but don't know how far outside. i also think it's about 2500/m and you need to talked to TT&T, not ToT.

i don't have it, i use GPRS which is a pain and slow but costs about 1500/month and at least i can use it whereever i travel in Thailand..

steve

You can get IPStar installed anywhere in Thailand (though you will have to pay the install / boat costs for the engineers to vist)...

Not as competative as ADSL but it works and does do 2 way sat broadband.. Has higher latency (ping times) so online gaming or VoIP becomes either impossible or flaky depending..

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I stayed there for 6 weeks in 1992, just before moving here full time.

People were asking about getting electricity, now it's not just internet but Hi-speed.

I don't think I'll go back there again :o

ha :o i don't think you have to worry... i happen to need internet for my work though, which i do from home, and would love to do from home on ko phangan.

Anyone here been in IT long enough to remember "Aloha net"

hehe..:o

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar need for IPStar, but a little further afield in Luang Prabang, Laos. Now I've heard that some Thai companies are willing to perform the installation there, but I don't know which ones! Can anyone recommend Thai companies willing to travel to Laos?

cheers,

Stephen