Where To Buy Plants?

martijn12345

Hi, can anybody recommend me a shop where I could buy some plants. Normally you see these kinda big shops on the side of the road on the outskirts of any city selling wide variety of plants. Now just outside of the city, on the way to Hangdong, between Airport Plaza and Tesco Lotus. Anybody know a shop like that in this area?

If someone told you by Lotus,,,,,, they may mean the lotus-tesco on super highway [north]

Behind this lotus is a market..... Kamthien..... acres and acres of plants, shrubs and the wherewithall to do all type of gardening.

It is just a beautiful area to even just drive through..... many little sois.... its truly a plant paradise

Give it a try anyhow.....

gonzo

sorry for the belated post.... but asmeron also agrees ..... its the placeb alright..... almost a tourist attraction in itself...

Edited by Gonzo the Face

kamtieng is best, but for that area, some planta are for sale at the exit of the Tesco Lotus parking lot. Another good shop is on the Ratchapruek Road (the stretch in between the Hang Dong road and the Canal Road), just next to an excellent noodle & grilled chicken shop on the right hand side about half way down that stretch of road.

As mentioned though, nothing comes close to Kamthieng though I've bought some nice plants and small trees at the place mentioned above.

Is Kamthieng Plant Market too far away? Surely not. Behind Tesco- the one on the Superhighway.

This is where I've always got my big plants from. 4 years old now and 3 homes later yet all are still in fine fettle and a fair bit larger :) That said, the hefty plants in big pots can be a sod to move, and whenever you go away for more than a few days, there's all that arranging for someone to pop in and do the watering.

The reason i mention the negative side of potted plant life is because i was in the Index store the other week and could not believe how lifelike (and lightweight), the modern artificial plants are. A plastic plant used to look............, well, 'plastic!' Today's leafy imitations don't though! Heck, i had to go up and touch the buggers just to confirm they were actually fakes.

So i think when my little indoor jungle eventually shows sings of dying off, i shall go the extra expense and replace them with the above. They're cleaner, they'll never die. they look like the real McCoy, don't attract insects, save on water, and are easy to move without risking a slipped disk or having the tops broken off by clumsy removal men.

Hey, if the lifelike 3 hole inflatable dolls have kept many a lonely divorcee happy over the years, then why not bring a little bit more synthetic joy into the home!

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Best off pouring concrete into shuttering (one on top of the other to make that) with a dash of colouring and ensuring the shuttering is rough with knots and deep graining (on the outside)... some rebar would also help. :)

But Khamtiang, yes, although if you're in the Mae Jo area, check out the huge nursery roughly two miles northeast of the uni (very good for wax palms, conifers, shrubs and house plants), or perhaps the smaller market just before the main junction beyond Mae Jo on the way to Phrao.

Best off pouring concrete into shuttering (one on top of the other to make that) with a dash of colouring and ensuring the shuttering is rough with knots and deep graining (on the outside)... some rebar would also help. :)

Thanks jackr... i think the wife might turn her nose up at permanent fixtures... especially considering that the likely outcome of my veggie patch is to turn into one giant kitty litter tray...

how about this?

http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/bambooraisedbed.htm

bambooraisedouble.jpg

I reckon that should cost, about 1000 baht?

How to stop the water leaking out.... hmm... maybe some of that woven matting they use here.. i guess i could use plastic..

What does anyone reckon? Any cheaper options? Raised beds are the way to go i reckon...

edit, just found great website all about water conservation... http://www.idexstudio.org/water/

post-50139-1270486037_thumb.jpg

Waheeyy! I have something to do tomorrow!

A great way to increase water conservation at the farm is byconstructing raised beds. In this diagram we see a raised bed made from bamboo,however, they can be built using several different materials or even nomaterial at all. If material is used, it can easily come from recycled matterfound on the farm (e.g. from the structure).

Benefits of raised beds is not limited to water conservationand includes an increase in SOM (soil organic matter), a decrease in soilcompaction, easy accessibility to crops, improved soil conditions, greateryields, and a decrease in runoff. Water conservation is accomplished in thisdesign by concentrating the water to one area. The best irrigation system touse with raised beds is drip tape, a practice already implemented at thesmartfarm.

Another way in which water is conserved is by the increasein water holding capacity. First, SOM is increased as a result of lesscompaction and an increase in topsoil. SOM is directly linked to water andnutrient uptake. When there is more SOM, plants are able to take up theseessentials. Think of SOM like a sponge...

The confinement of raised beds will also aide in keeping theorganic matter (crop residues, compost, etc) where it needs to be, near thecrops! Organic matter increased SOC (soil organic carbon), which then improvesbeneficial bacteria.

The benefits of raised beds are endless and could serve as agreat tool in conserving water at the smartfarm.

Edited by whiterussian

Neither vermiculite or perlite are good choices for "improving" the soil of a garden. They never break down and they don't add nutrients to the soil. They're fine for improving the drainage of soil in a pot, but not in a garden, especially one that might be abandoned in the future. You'll always have the inorganic vermiculite or perlite in the soil that remains.

Organic materials (i.e. formerly living materials) are better choices to improve soil structure. I've not done enough "in the ground" gardening here to know what local choices make sense, but people on the farming in Thailand subforum would. Right now we have room just for potted plants, but I was into gardening in a big way in my former life and would never recommend that anyone add vermiculite or perlite to garden soil.

Incidentally, those bamboo raised beds look wonderful. Great use of local materials and raised beds are an excellent way to garden. In addition to giving good drainage, it's easier to play with the plants in a raised beds.

Edited by NancyL

I live just by Global House, so there is a wood 'factory' with bamboo just here..

The vermiculite was to get my seedlings going in pots, but I will just try and use papper tissue for the germination, and then fine compost...

:)

Back in the UK I used to have to use heated propogating tray, i dont think I have to here...

Thank you!

I found this pic on a neighbouring thread:

Impromptu_party_2.sized.jpg

Get rid of the moo kaa taa, and the women, turn the table top 90 degress... et voila... a cheaper wall for raised bed...

I will post back when i get a quote from the bamboo builders :D

Edited by whiterussian

Kamthieng is where we go for small plants and shrubs,

for large trees, palms etc there are places dotted on/around the ring rds

I'll be looking for mango trees soon. And suggestions please on where to locate them?

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard

Just back from the bamboo yard...

Bamboo table above 2 metres long costs 150 baht. (excluding moo kaa taa and dining companions :) )

remove the table top...

flip two tables upside down...

close the 'walls' from leg to leg with the split bamboo...

think it will cost about 500 baht!!!

might rot and bend after a while... but i shall see!!

Bamboo Raised Bed co. ltd ....here I come :D

re: big trees.. if you take a drive out towards 'flight of the gibbon' there is a HUGE area of trees and shrubs ( I think they cater for hotels, resorts etc)

go past the hot springs, and over the lip of the first 'mountain'... an on that long straight road either side for about 1 km are trees trees trees

might have mango.. not sure.

Edited by whiterussian

I'll be looking for mango trees soon. And suggestions please on where to locate them?

Thanks.

Kamthieng market stocks saplings for most fruit trees grown here.

Thanks.

Kamthieng market stocks saplings for most fruit trees grown here.

Thanks, appreciated.

many locals will tell me that Kamthieng is the most expensive place to buy too. Excellent products and selection, i agree... but also high prices. I bought fish tanks and water fixtures and priced them at KT and then at other locales and found them MUCH cheaper....

if KT is the only place that carries what you want, then that is that... otherwise, if you have the time... shop around on the ring roads.... there are also places on the side of BigC on superhighway that are cheaper.

many locals will tell me that Kamthieng is the most expensive place to buy too. Excellent products and selection, i agree... but also high prices. I bought fish tanks and water fixtures and priced them at KT and then at other locales and found them MUCH cheaper....

if KT is the only place that carries what you want, then that is that... otherwise, if you have the time... shop around on the ring roads.... there are also places on the side of BigC on superhighway that are cheaper.

Every seller that I know of there is negotiable on their prices. You might try making a lower offer if you feel something is priced too high. Many will deliver free of charge. I honestly don't know about fish tanks - I've never bought a fish tank there. But plants, flowers and shrubs, always negotiable...

For bigger, more mature items, KT is pricey, but for saplings, small shrubs etc, the savings wont be much elsewhere, unless you're buying a forest.  Mature trees - head out past hot springs, past Mae On as mentioned earlier.  Fruit trees don't transplant easily, as the tap root needs to be protected.  Got some mature coconut trees & other large palms (crane needed) for about 1000bt each, past Mae On.  Other very large trees upto 10,000.  They have more expensive ones but out of my price range.  Great day for the kids when the big trucks with crane arrive to deliver  :)

Got some mature coconut trees & other large palms (crane needed) for about 1000bt each, past Mae On.

Other very large trees upto 10,000.  They have more expensive ones but out of my price range.  Great day for the kids when the big trucks with crane arrive to deliver  :)

Might I ask if they plant these mature trees or only deliver?

many locals will tell me that Kamthieng is the most expensive place to buy too. Excellent products and selection, i agree... but also high prices.

there are also places on the side of BigC on superhighway that are cheaper.

Strange. I was told by a local bamboo nurseryman that he sells most of his plants to places like Ko Samui, as Kamthieng is so cheap they couldn't make a living selling there.

Got some mature coconut trees & other large palms (crane needed) for about 1000bt each, past Mae On.

Other very large trees upto 10,000.  They have more expensive ones but out of my price range.  Great day for the kids when the big trucks with crane arrive to deliver  :)

Might I ask if they plant these mature trees or only deliver?

They plant them.  You need a crane to lift them.  The palms, a few guys could probably manhandle into position, but the bigger trees would be impossible.  Their trucks have a crane mounted behind the cab.  So make sure for the bigger trees, the truck can get close enough.

Sounds like you've gone down the bamboo route already! However if you do want railway sleepers you can get them from......The railway station! Isn't that uncanny :)

There's a little paperwork involved and to be honest they weren't that cheap but they are there if needed. PM me if you want further details..

Anyone seen any vermiculite on sale here, or alternatives?

About to build a small veggie patch...

If i could source some railway sleepers I'd make a raised bed... but i doubt I can... maybe i will think of something else..

sleeper%20bed.jpg

However if you do want railway sleepers you can get them from......The railway station! Isn't that uncanny :)

There's a little paperwork involved and to be honest they weren't that cheap but they are there if needed. PM me if you want further details..

Thanks ChiangMai2! That's funny, I keep forgetting things work differently here!