Gift For Thai Mother Inlaw

dazk

Buy her a nice hand mirror. All women (even ancient ones) like mirrors to check on how they look. The miserable old bat of a grandmother of the Thai family I help support had an old broken mirror she used when making herself up for church. I went to town and bought her a nice new one. It was very well received because she knew that I had seen what she needed and I bought it without being asked. Her weasel of a husband never would have thought of such a thing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could could give her a bottle of Beer from 7 - 11 or you could buy here a brand new Ferrari you still wont get a thank you , You might be lucky to get a little smile but dont bank on it.

The best present would be mixing two presents together. A Buffalo with a Big Gold Chain around it would go down a treat in Issan. :)

I would recommend you do not bring chocolate. It's gone 8pm as I write this and it's still 34 degrees C.

A bar of chocolate would be drinking chocolate by the time it got to your MIL

Not soap either, you're insinuating she smells! But perfume's OK. I bought my wife a box of half a dozen little perfume bottles in a lined box. From Boots I think.

Not UK gold, it's not pure enough.

I brought my MIL a Nottingham lace shawl which she still wears to special occasions.

How about when you get here you take the family to a photographer's shop and get a set of family photos taken, although I appreciate that's not so personal.

Thanks for all the input guys, seem's gold or money are favourite. forgive my ignorance but everyone refers to 1 baht's worth of gold dont seem much!!

Lamb to the slaughter!!!!!!

Explain

Thanks for all the input guys, seem's gold or money are favourite. forgive my ignorance but everyone refers to 1 baht's worth of gold dont seem much!!

Explain

Well no offense but you seem to know little or nothing about Thailand. You married you wife without meeting her mother (extremely rare in Thailand). Wouldnt it have been a good idea and meet her family first?

Where did you meet your wife? where did you get married?

With your lack of knowledge of Thailand and your wifes background/family it looks to me that you have rushed into this.

As you know F%$#ck all about Thailand here is the Mother in law happiness meter:

1 Baht gold she Happy Nidnoy (Little bit)

2 Baht gold she happy yous goos (you are good)

3 baht gold she happy same same monkey get banana (happy same as a monkey recieve a banana)

4 baht gold she like you very big (she likes you a lot)

5 or more she want you to make baby my daughter and yous is tchai di maak maak (very good hart)

You lucky that you change your mind and do not meet your mother in law the first time and give her chocolates or cookies form the UK.

Good luck with the meter :)

And if she's prepared to let you marry her daughter without meeting you then buy her anything!!! She wont care

she was not happy with her daughter but is looking forward to meeting me, not sure what she is looking forward to though!!!

All that support and most of all, THE MONEY!

Explain

Why would you want to set a precedent, once you go down that road there is no turning back.

The need for gold or money may well be an indication of the type of family some have married into.

1 baht's worth of gold, do you know the price of gold just now, in some cases more than 2 months salary to some.

As another poster mentioned, a decent health insurance policy for the buffalo may be a wiser choice.

the best gift a mil can receive is that their daughter will be treated with respect kindness, etc.

thai moms in law are no different than western mil's. its not as if thai ones are looking for a payday............ :):D:D

Edited by chester566

Explain

Well no offense but you seem to know little or nothing about Thailand. You married you wife without meeting her mother (extremely rare in Thailand). Wouldnt it have been a good idea and meet her family first?

Where did you meet your wife? where did you get married?

With your lack of knowledge of Thailand and your wifes background/family it looks to me that you have rushed into this.

Well whistle blower offence taken My lack of knowledge about Thailand comes because i have only be there for 5 10 day trips over a one year period. Maybe you know it all because you have lived or visited there for many years, i was hoping to learn a thing or two from this forum!! Married my wife because i love her and we get on very well. I meet her in Nong Khai whilst travelling. got married on last trip , official marriage in Bangkok. wife has own house and small restaurant. I know very little of thai tradition so have taken wifes lead so not aware of it beging rare to marry without meating mother. what gives you the right to say it looks like i have rushed into things you know nothing of me or my wife.

dazk, jai yen (take it easy, cool off)...

its just that about thee quarters of the posts start along the same lines and a majority of people here are a bit jaded:

yes its a bit strange that u didnt meet the family first; even my husband called his mom and sisters after i agreed to marry, and made me talk to them (we were over seas and i only met them half a year later.)but i would have liked to meet them first. gives u a good idea of who /what family u are marrying.

baht gold is teh measurement of gold in thailand , try googling thai baht gold for a good explanation

no, chocolate does not go over well. yes, perfumes, gold (thai gold, not european stuff that thais dont seem to consider gold, read other threads to understand why); depending on the financial situation of the parents and their expectations of their farang son in law, gifts of whiskey (either good quality or thai whiskey, equally appreciated), and /or name brand handbags etc depending on social status of mom and family.... a small amount of money (wife can tell u how much) given with a deep wei and presented nicely is also a good gift ; thats what we gave , we gave it ceremonially and not just handed it over... its all up to how much u can afford because u will set a precedent, and also, how and what your wife says u should give....

bina

israel

dazk, jai yen (take it easy, cool off)...

its just that about thee quarters of the posts start along the same lines and a majority of people here are a bit jaded:

yes its a bit strange that u didnt meet the family first; even my husband called his mom and sisters after i agreed to marry, and made me talk to them (we were over seas and i only met them half a year later.)but i would have liked to meet them first. gives u a good idea of who /what family u are marrying.

baht gold is teh measurement of gold in thailand , try googling thai baht gold for a good explanation

no, chocolate does not go over well. yes, perfumes, gold (thai gold, not european stuff that thais dont seem to consider gold, read other threads to understand why); depending on the financial situation of the parents and their expectations of their farang son in law, gifts of whiskey (either good quality or thai whiskey, equally appreciated), and /or name brand handbags etc depending on social status of mom and family.... a small amount of money (wife can tell u how much) given with a deep wei and presented nicely is also a good gift ; thats what we gave , we gave it ceremonially and not just handed it over... its all up to how much u can afford because u will set a precedent, and also, how and what your wife says u should give....

bina

israel

Thank you bina i ask a simple question about the gold and you give me a simple answer.I don't find it strange not to meet the family as i have no family myself, no brothers or sisters and parents died may years ago, and it is my wife i have married and am going to spend the rest of my life with not her mother and sisters. My ex wife's family where lovely people !!!

Well whistle blower offence taken My lack of knowledge about Thailand comes because i have only be there for 5 10 day trips over a one year period. Maybe you know it all because you have lived or visited there for many years, i was hoping to learn a thing or two from this forum!! Married my wife because i love her and we get on very well.

50 day (maximum) relationship. fell in love on 10 day trips!

I meet her in Nong Khai whilst travelling. got married on last trip , official marriage in Bangkok. wife has own house and small restaurant. I know very little of thai tradition so have taken wifes lead so not aware of it beging rare to marry without meating mother. what gives you the right to say it looks like i have rushed into things you know nothing of me or my wife.

Nong Khai - traveling? - Visa run? Taken wifes lead - I have never met a Thai woman who would get married without meeting family first!

What gives you the right to say it looks like I have rushed into things? - The fact that you know diddly squat about Thai tradition?, The fact that you have never met your wifes family? (also rare in UK)

"and it is my wife i have married and am going to spend the rest of my life with not her mother and sisters." - again, pissing my pants laughing, you know nothing of Thai tradition/culture!

you know nothing of me or my wife. - I dont but maybe some on here do!!

Good luck to you, but i doubt luck is what you need. Common sense would be more appropriate,.

Maybe the OP can tell us what the reason was that the mother had a problem with her daughter.

And why the relationship between the two got now better again. That could let us understand the situation a bit more. Thank you.

Well whistle blower offence taken My lack of knowledge about Thailand comes because i have only be there for 5 10 day trips over a one year period. Maybe you know it all because you have lived or visited there for many years, i was hoping to learn a thing or two from this forum!! Married my wife because i love her and we get on very well.

I meet her in Nong Khai whilst travelling. got married on last trip , official marriage in Bangkok. wife has own house and small restaurant. I know very little of thai tradition so have taken wifes lead so not aware of it beging rare to marry without meating mother. what gives you the right to say it looks like i have rushed into things you know nothing of me or my wife.

Nong Khai - traveling? - Visa run? Taken wifes lead - I have never met a Thai woman who would get married without meeting family first!

What gives you the right to say it looks like I have rushed into things? - The fact that you know diddly squat about Thai tradition?, The fact that you have never met your wifes family? (also rare in UK)

"and it is my wife i have married and am going to spend the rest of my life with not her mother and sisters." - again, pissing my pants laughing, you know nothing of Thai tradition/culture!

Good luck to you, but i doubt luck is what you need. Common sense would be more appropriate,.

whatever mister know it all not going to waste any more time replying to you idiot

Maybe the OP can tell us what the reason was that the mother had a problem with her daughter.

And why the relationship between the two got now better again. That could let us understand the situation a bit more. Thank you.

no problem between them she just a bit pissed that daughter never told her we where getting wed

whatever mister know it all not going to waste any more time replying to you idiot

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump!!!!

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump!!!!

-dazk-

Ok, daughter did not tell her mother that she get married with a Falang, that still lets the question open, why not tell?

Anyway that is to far going and non topic.

If the OP want tell us his story, where he met her exactly, in what circumstances and from where she is and her family lives, we would understand all better.

And I can say I would be interested. But as I say off topic.

dazk, for your question, I would go for some Gold, at least 1 Baht.

boys, knock it off both of u or both of u will get a 'vacation' from the thread.... and 'u' both know who u are...

stop the personal attacks.

dazk: yes it is very strange because in thai culture, family, mostly the mother, is a very important person for daughters and yes it is wierd that mother in law wasnt told first. it does indeed make u wonder why...

secondly, although the folks here are jaded and have seen this been there done that in thailand , they mostly have a point: .... and if i were u i would do some major research in to thai cultures and sub cultures, specifically laos/issan (nongkhai) cultural expectations and customs. caveat emptor

now, back on subject or the thread gets knocked off.

bina

israel