Bangkok Residents Become Hostages To Red-Shirt Anarchy

webfact

"City residents become hostages to red-shirt anarchy"

don't forget, the same could be said about the "yellow-shirt anarchy" its mutual or reciprocal.

The problem with that analogy is that the ones suffering today were the ones supporting the Yellows, so it is felt so much more. :)

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

democracy in iraq but coups in thailand? that just wont work, and this fact is testament to bush's democracy revolution.

the ancien regime has brought this red state of affairs upon itself with its coup and its own demonstrations.

in the end, the reds will either get their elections, or thailand will once again get rule by generals with bloody hands.

abhasit and his party are not the point, as they are merely fronts for the glue that has held thailand together. that glue is coming undone as modernity is having its corrosive effect on the ancien regime. the latter can delay, and can make things very difficult.

but the fact of its end, if not the timing, is written.

sonkran may bring the largest demonstrations yet seen to bangkok. all may be well advised to secure food and water with immediate effect.

don't forget, the same could be said about the "yellow-shirt anarchy" its mutual or reciprocal.

I think the red shirts and yellow shirts are getting pretty even with their violence and economic damage.

The yellow shirts occupied the government house and the area and then moved out to the airport.

The reds shirts occupied the government house area and then moved to Ratchaprasong.

The yellow shirts may be slightly ahead with the economic damage with the shutdown of the airport, but I think the red shirts are ahead on the violence front with them forcing the abandonment of an international conference, and especially with threatening to blow up a gas tanker in a residential area.

You could go back a little bit further with Thaksin and the coup. The coup caused damage because, well, a coup is a coup. And Thaksin caused damage because of his moves to remove checks and balances and his corruption while he was PM.

People could argue forever about which group or event has been worse, but no one can argue that they all caused damage to Thailand.

One thing you can't argue with is ALL of it is caused by Thaksin. And it will continue on until Thaksin is out of the picture.

No. The country was running fine under Thaksin and the TRT. There were no problems at all, the people were happy apart from a few elite in Bangkok who were not getting their cut and wanted a return to the Democrats were they get their cut.

A bunch of elite sponsered Yellow shirts started causing problems. So this all goes back to the Yellows who started the problems first and would not accept the election results.

Then there was a coup.

Another election and the same Yellow shirts cause problems again.

The blame for all this mess goes down to the Elite and their Yellow sponsered shirts who will not accept Democracy and want to force their will on the people.

If there were no Yellow shirts and no coup - there would be no problems now and Thaksin would likely have been voted out now by the people under Deomcratic means.

The mess is caused not by Thaksin, the mess is caused by those that hate him, those that have broken the law of the 1997 consitition by holding a coup.

If you want a double standard lets start at the beginning.

A few people were paid lots of money to break the law and hold a coup, a crime punishable as treason under the 1997 constitution.

However, they ripped up the consititon and granted themselves "immunity"

Why are they allowed to do that ? Do you see where the double standards started ?

Pure Tripe! Hogwash! Not worthy of correction it is so far from the truth.

Another "totally unbiased" story from The Nation.

QUOTE(from article):"Business operators in the affected areas have truly experienced the horror of mob rule."

A loaded statement if there ever was. I was in Big C - opposite Central World Plaza - on Saturday - and yes there were Red-Shirts inside. Some were taking advantage of the air-conditioning and sheltering from the blistering heat on the ground floor - many others were up on the fourth floor eating - others were browsing and shopping on other floors. Business as usual. Everything was civil and orderly.

Yes folks - this truly was the "horror of mob rule."

At the weekend virtually all the big stores in the area were closed. Why?

I get a feeling that the closure of these stores isn't just about security - although they do - of course - have every right to close to the public whenever they want for whatever reason - BUT it also has the effect of being a deliberate - politically motivated move aimed to discredit the Red-Shirt movement in general.

Designed to reinforce the idea to the general public that these ordinary - decent citizens - are an out of control bunch of criminals intent upon criminal activity - which just isn't the case.

I rest my case.

Interesting points, just one extra issue to consider that is being faced with the choice of staying on at work or taking a holiday I know which option most of my friends (both Thai and Farrang)would take, especially the ones that work for the Government who need little to no encouragement to down tools as seen in the Government complex in Chang Wattana yesterday. I can't blame them I would do the same in the same situation. :)

Thaksin was a corrupt dictatorial thief, changing the laws to specifically benefit his own business, putting people HE controlled in all the important positions while he was Prime Minister. It stopped when he tried to put his people at the head of the army. That would have given HIM control over everything. That would have made him the dictator he wanted to be.

Which election results did the Yellows dispute? The 2006 election where Thaksin couldn't form a government. The one where their was no voter privacy, so others could see how people voted. The one where the Constitutional Court (not junta appointed) says was invalid. The one where Thaksin was trying to change the law so that he could still become PM even though it was an invalid election?

If you want double standards, then start at the beginning. Go back to the Thaksin case in 2001 where he was found not guilty of improper assets declaration.

A thief is someone who steals, Thaksin has not stolen anything, so you are wrong to start with.

The job of the government is, as elected by the people (when they are elected by the people and not put into place by "behind the scenes" wrangling after a court case, to change old laws and implement new ones. Another of its jobs is to replace key personnel at the designated time.

I am afraid you have read too much of the Yellow newspaper trash which, like the biased story today, likes to implant idea's into peoples brains.

The way the Yellow papers work is to manipulate you into thinking a suggestion or a question is in fact a fact.

If I say "In 2002 it was more than likely that the Democrats paid off voters"....... I have not said they did or did not, but writing that in the mass media would make more than 60% of people beleive they did, cause they read it in a paper.

And this is how the two YELLOW controlled English language papers have, since 2002, built up their campaign against Thaksin and the TRT/PPP/PTP.

They rely far too heavily now on "un-named sources" for the scandalous accusations. Its an easy cop out for the media.

But there we go, the elite control far too much but a good thing for now is they do not control parts of Bangkok where real democracy and real people power can be seen on the streets :)

And when you talk of elections being free and fair.

The last election, won by the PPP under massive stress and obstruction by the elite, it was the elite, the coup appointed government and coup appointed EC THAT REFUSED to allow international observers in in any meaningful way.

The PPP wanted them in, your "elite" friends refused as they did not want true democracy but wanted to limit how many seats the PPP could win, which would not have been possible under internation observation of the elections.

The PPP still won so the judiciary then dissolved them - such a sad state of affairs.

When can the country be handed over to some new youthful and not corrupt none elite ????? Only then can Thailand move forward, in the meantime the first step is to stop the elite manipulating things, as the Reds are trying to do now.

The fugitive himself has many ongoing battles of his own. He has not been welcomed by the civilised world due to his criminal status and notoriety as a crook with vast assets amassed through abuse of power and blatant corruption. He also has failing health, as shown whenever he turns up on a video link. His face has become less lively, and he has a quickly receding hairline.

The author is a class A idiot. Whether or not we like Mr. Thaksin, he has been able to fly around the world unfettered.No one has stopped him. The author has insulted Dubai and by extension the Gulf States. Considering that the ToT wants lots and lots of arab tourists, is it wise to call the desired market uncivilised?

However, I am sure the bald members of Thai Visa may wish to voice their protests. Since when has a receding hairline been a sign of poor health? There are a great many beloved figures in Thailand with receding hairlines, including PM Abhisit. And <deleted> is a face that has become less lively? PM Abhisit has droopy jowls now because of the current stress from this mess. So what?

I wonder does the Nation author actually speak English....... certainly parts read as a Google Translate..... remember babelfish?

Once Songran arrives in 1 week, they will all go home and that will be the end of it.

No way it is wishfull thinking.

They have tasted the honey and they like it. Unless the government stays firm they will go home for couple day and then everything will start over.

As long as the Thaksin side has money they will mass with this government and the Thai people’s life

Thaksin was a corrupt dictatorial thief, changing the laws to specifically benefit his own business, putting people HE controlled in all the important positions while he was Prime Minister. It stopped when he tried to put his people at the head of the army. That would have given HIM control over everything. That would have made him the dictator he wanted to be.

Which election results did the Yellows dispute? The 2006 election where Thaksin couldn't form a government. The one where their was no voter privacy, so others could see how people voted. The one where the Constitutional Court (not junta appointed) says was invalid. The one where Thaksin was trying to change the law so that he could still become PM even though it was an invalid election?

If you want double standards, then start at the beginning. Go back to the Thaksin case in 2001 where he was found not guilty of improper assets declaration.

A thief is someone who steals, Thaksin has not stolen anything, so you are wrong to start with.

The job of the government is, as elected by the people (when they are elected by the people and not put into place by "behind the scenes" wrangling after a court case, to change old laws and implement new ones. Another of its jobs is to replace key personnel at the designated time.

I am afraid you have read too much of the Yellow newspaper trash which, like the biased story today, likes to implant idea's into peoples brains.

The way the Yellow papers work is to manipulate you into thinking a suggestion or a question is in fact a fact.

If I say "In 2002 it was more than likely that the Democrats paid off voters"....... I have not said they did or did not, but writing that in the mass media would make more than 60% of people beleive they did, cause they read it in a paper.

And this is how the two YELLOW controlled English language papers have, since 2002, built up their campaign against Thaksin and the TRT/PPP/PTP.

They rely far too heavily now on "un-named sources" for the scandalous accusations. Its an easy cop out for the media.

But there we go, the elite control far too much but a good thing for now is they do not control parts of Bangkok where real democracy and real people power can be seen on the streets :)

A certain William L Monson would disagree with you on that, as would many others.

The article does come across as biased, not unusual for the Nation, but may be expressing the feelings of many BKKians. However, this statement

a fiery orator on the red-shirt stage, denouncing the existence of the monarchy

if accurate, is a grave mistake. IMO very few of the protesters other than the leaders, would hold any similar views, and may well not want to be associated with them. What is the alternative they proposing? President for life Thaksin?

a fiery orator on the red-shirt stage, denouncing the existence of the monarchy

Quite frankly I find this hard to believe. On stage this would be an absolute 'no-no'.

OzMick - I think if anything Thaksin is slowly being marginalised by the Red-Shirt movement and could well be side-lined very soon - seen as a liability.

As I've mentioned before - the protests are about the alleged double standards of this present Abhisit government - the behind the scenes power that Prem yields - an undemocratically elected government - a government for all intents and purposes controlled by the military - rampant corruption - and more equality - both social and economic for the ordinary decent citizens of this country - particularly for those living up-country and a shift in power away from the old ruling elite.

High ideals.

But that's what it's all about. And IMHO the sooner - the better.

Agree with you on many points . This article is very biased .

Where the author get the idea that the red shirts are denouncing the monarchy ?

As is well know upcountry folks love and respect HM who has done so much for them

This is typical yellow rethoric , use HM to advance their own agenda

It is indeed an inflamatory innacurate article .

Having say that rampant corruption has been a hallmark of thai politics long before

Abhisit came in power . I would believe that the Abhisit administration has done somewhat

better on this issue then his predecessors , probably not perfect but better .

Thaksin has flaws in his character and was very corrupt .

Why the red shirts leaders are not sitting down with Abhisit and listing practical demands

to improve life upcountry like better free education , better opportunities , free vocational

training , better healthcare and so on and so forth ? And put pressure on the governement

to define publicly a roadmap with deadlines to have those implemented .

Saying that Abhisit coming in power was not legitimate righ or wrong , is not promoting

the interest of the country folks by a tenth of an inch

Well it looks like things are set to go off today. The roads surrounding the protest area have been blocked by the military and police. Troops apparently awaiting to order to converge. UDD is ordering the protesters to fight the police and military, with Sae Daeng's boys tooling up. UDD threatening to invade Abhisit's private residence. This doesn't look good.

Once Songran arrives in 1 week, they will all go home and that will be the end of it.

They have tasted the honey and they like it. Unless the government stays firm they will go home for couple day and then everything will start over.

As long as the Thaksin side has money they will mass with this government and the Thai people’s life

I think the time has come for Abhisit to show some steel and deal with this. He is signing his own political death sentence if he doesn't sort this out and quick. His supporters are going to be enormously p****d off with this situation. The country is going to be held forever in a cycle of protest and collapsed governments if this continues. If anything they should change the constitution to limit the types of mass public protest that are permitted from ALL sides.

It should never have been tolerated for the yellows to protest in the way that they did, and now it is enough from the reds.

Interestingly, I wonder if Central will sue for loss of earnings, but various people here will claim that it wasn't the protesters that caused the closing of the shopping centre but the management.

As long as the Thaksin side has money they will mass with this government and the Thai people's life

I think the time has come for Abhisit to show some steel and deal with this. He is signing his own political death sentence if he doesn't sort this out and quick. His supporters are going to be enormously p****d off with this situation. The country is going to be held forever in a cycle of protest and collapsed governments if this continues. If anything they should change the constitution to limit the types of mass public protest that are permitted from ALL sides.

It should never have been tolerated for the yellows to protest in the way that they did, and now it is enough from the reds.

Interestingly, I wonder if Central will sue for loss of earnings, but various people here will claim that it wasn't the protesters that caused the closing of the shopping centre but the management.

Thats the whole issue ... Not only Abhisit but most previous civilian PMs in THailand are weak , it is institutional . And it is because the PM power is not directly derived from the people but from a loose and often divergent coalition of MPs with various interests . Toss in the corruption and Thailand is ungovernable

Had any PM been directly elected by the people am sure he would have had the authority to reestablish order in the streets using soft crowd control methods , while the coloured shirts leaders would have no alternative but to negociate down to earth practical demands .

Edited by moresomekl

To those frustrated by the red shirts disruptions (including me),a simple thought: we foreigners are privaleged to be witnessing a society in transition. Lots of societies have transitioned to modernity, but how many right under our own feet? Many of our own countries experienced something like this, but not in our generation.

Say what u will about Thaksin or his followers, nobody can deny that the ancien regime has brought this mess upon themselves: first by coup, then by using the same disruptive tactics that the red shirts now employ. You can conclude that Thailand is the loser from all this only if you dont believe that this is necessary process by which societies transition to modernity. And if that is true, then surely guests in the Kingdom can suffer the indignity of an even worse than normal traffic jam, or hundred.

Rapid economic advancement brings social change, and we shouldnt forget that Thailand was the world's leading growth story twenty years ago, a short period of time when it comes to societal change. Nor should we ignore that if democracy can by imposed, as appears to have successfully been the case, on an Iraq, then surely a more civilized society such as Thailand will not stand idly by to see the will of the people reversed by coup de etat.

Now either the ancien regime grants elections, or the kettle will boil. Its an old story in a world were the spread of democracy is not a tide, but a tsunami.

We may all do well to beware the Ides of April, for Sonkran may bring to Bangkok masses of disaffected hoping for a new deal. For those living comfortably behind high walls, the ground may soon tremble. For those in red sleeping in the streets outside those walls, hope is at hand. Life is full of unintended consequence: both may win big, and both may lose big.

To all Thais, whether now at the top, middle or bottom, we foreigners should all say: "Chock dee".

And we should be very careful.

Thats the whole issue ... Not only Abhisit but most previous civilian PMs in THailand are weak , it is institutional . And it is because the PM power is not directly derived from the people but from a loose and often divergent coalition of MPs with various interests . Toss in the corruption and Thailand is ungovernable

Had any PM been directly elected by the people am sure he would have had the authority to reestablish order in the streets using soft crowd control methods , while the coloured shirts leaders would have no alternative but to negociate down to earth practical demands .

Undoubtedly, TRT winning an absolute majority was not such a welcome thing in some people's eyes. The reality is that the PM

's are weak because they have always been able to be second guessed by a coup. The army does what it wants because it is above the law. The police do what they want, because they don't really recognise the government of the day as their boss.

Organisations that should be neutral are politicised in Thailand. That is a massive weakness.

Unfortunately having strong leaders requires that the institutions of the country are strong enough to stand alone. Thaksin subverted the institutions because they have never been set up to be strong enough to handle someone willing to subvert them all.

Well it looks like things are set to go off today. The roads surrounding the protest area have been blocked by the military and police. Troops apparently awaiting to order to converge. UDD is ordering the protesters to fight the police and military, with Sae Daeng's boys tooling up. UDD threatening to invade Abhisit's private residence. This doesn't look good.

Yup sounds like it . Whether now or later this has become unavoidable .

And what have the red shirts leaders secured so far politicaly ?

Answer : Zip , zero , nothing .

What a bunch or morons those leaders

As is well know upcountry folks love and respect HM who has done so much for them

Having say that rampant corruption has been a hallmark of thai politics long before

Abhisit came in power . I would believe that the Abhisit administration has done somewhat

Why the red shirts leaders are not sitting down with Abhisit and listing practical demands

to improve life upcountry like better free education , better opportunities , free vocational

training , better healthcare and so on and so forth ? And put pressure on the governement

Saying that Abhisit coming in power was not legitimate righ or wrong , is not promoting

"Why the red shirts leaders are not sitting down with Abhisit and listing practical demands

training , better healthcare and so on and so forth ?"

They are not interested in any of this. They are interested in Thaksin. They are using these issues as a smoke screen. They are using all their issues as a smoke screen.

If they WERE interested in these things, then they WOULD have sat down with the government to make sure they were being delivered. In some cases these things ARE being delivered.

If they were interested in democracy, they would have waited until the next election pointing out where things were being abused, making sure the next election was democratic, and that everyone was able to campaign in all areas.

This is not about the poor. This is not about democracy. This is all about Thaksin, his money, and his power.

Statement:Thaksin has not stolen anything.

OK then he has cheated, defrauded, diverted, embezzled, looted, pilfered, plundered,

purloined, ripped off, swindled, and perhaps spirited away vast amounts of money from the Kingdom of Thailand.

But OK, he's not a thief? :D

Undoubtedly, TRT winning an absolute majority was not such a welcome thing in some people's eyes. The reality is that the PM

's are weak because they have always been able to be second guessed by a coup. The army does what it wants because it is above the law. The police do what they want, because they don't really recognise the government of the day as their boss.

Organisations that should be neutral are politicised in Thailand. That is a massive weakness.

Unfortunately having strong leaders requires that the institutions of the country are strong enough to stand alone. Thaksin subverted the institutions because they have never been set up to be strong enough to handle someone willing to subvert them all.

Very rarely , see K Anand , a PM stood up to the army . But its extremely rare .

If elected by the whole nation a PM would be in a much better position to impose his will on the army

and the police . But of course they dont want that

From The Nation:

“Thaksin Shinawatra's sister Yaowapa Wongsawat paid a visit to red-shirt leaders at Rajprasong yesterday to support them with snacks”.

Well she is clearly a lot braver than big brother, at least she was there but how very Thai – supported them with snacks !!!  What about putting her fat arse on the line and supporting them with that ???

Comic  opera – you write the script and I will hum the tunes and we can turn it into a soap and make millions:

The Pirates of Patpong.

An opinion piece indeed, with a very correct opinion. Bravo. It is time to put an end to this Thaksin group's reign of terror keeping Thailand hostage and in a place where it is not possible to move forward in peace.

One of their violent leaders today said

THE NATION: Jatuporn announced as seen on PTV: "If we can't live in peace in this country, let be it."

Time for justice for the mob inciters and time for the gullible mercenary farmers to GO HOME!

"Why the red shirts leaders are not sitting down with Abhisit and listing practical demands

training , better healthcare and so on and so forth ?"

They are not interested in any of this. They are interested in Thaksin. They are using these issues as a smoke screen. They are using all their issues as a smoke screen.

If they WERE interested in these things, then they WOULD have sat down with the government to make sure they were being delivered. In some cases these things ARE being delivered.

If they were interested in democracy, they would have waited until the next election pointing out where things were being abused, making sure the next election was democratic, and that everyone was able to campaign in all areas.

This is not about the poor. This is not about democracy. This is all about Thaksin, his money, and his power.

Yes looking at the facts , by now i believe what you say .

But in my view , honestly , i think Thaksin is finished politicaly speaking

in Thailand .

Even in the event that the PT came to power , i am not sure they would

want him back , a) he is more of a liability :) And am sure some PT leaders

have their own ambition , they dont want an Al Capone to tell them what to do

Edited by moresomekl

From The Nation:

“Thaksin Shinawatra's sister Yaowapa Wongsawat paid a visit to red-shirt leaders at Rajprasong yesterday to support them with snacks”.

Well she is clearly a lot braver than big brother, at least she was there but how very Thai – supported them with snacks !!!  What about putting her fat arse on the line and supporting them with that ???

Comic  opera – you write the script and I will hum the tunes and we can turn it into a soap and make millions:

The Pirates of Patpong.

And the key word there is "LEADERS". Don't think she would dirty herself by circulating among the masses. How many nights has she or the heads of the movement spent camping in tents or on the sidewalks? "Representing the poor" - yeah, right.

You have to start coming something other than

"yellow shirts did the same" "True democracy" and "double standards"

Your arguements have been proven baseless over and over on this forum

The red leaders are cowards ... staying in sweet hotels while the mass sleep in the street

Your leaders are inciting violence ..... on and on and on .....

While you sleep in the streets, Taksin is sitting by the pool relaxing ...

You reap what you sow ... the end is near (I hope)

That's exactly the point....you reap what you saw. By rewarding the actions of the yellow-shirt, Thailand set a very dangerous precedent that mob rule works.

You have to start coming something other than

"yellow shirts did the same" "True democracy" and "double standards"

Your arguements have been proven baseless over and over on this forum

The red leaders are cowards ... staying in sweet hotels while the mass sleep in the street

Your leaders are inciting violence ..... on and on and on .....

While you sleep in the streets, Taksin is sitting by the pool relaxing ...

You reap what you sow ... the end is near (I hope)

That's exactly the point....you reap what you saw. By rewarding the actions of the yellow-shirt, Thailand set a very dangerous precedent that mob rule works.

Couldn't agree more with this statement.

The country was running fine under Thaksin and the TRT. There were no problems at all, the people were happy apart from a few elite in Bangkok who were not getting their cut and wanted a return to the Democrats were they get their cut.

Wow... you've certainly lost all credibility with that assertion. No problems under Taksin and the country was running fine?! What fairy tale land do you live in? The list of problems under his rule are too long to list and have been well documented. Wake up!