12 Mth Visa Or Retirement Visa?

hi guys,

my father is 70 years old and wants to live in thailand, he has just come back from 1 month in Pattaya.

what is the best option of visa for him as he wants to live there permanately.

he would probably make one trip per year back to Australia.

can he get a retirement visa, or should he apply for a 12 month visa from Australia, or alternately should he leave on a 90 day visa and apply in Bangkok for an extionsion of 12 mths on his 90 day visa???

any help from Aussies or other ex-pats living there would be kindly appreciated.

thanks

vaughn.

To retire here he has to have $800,000.00 bhat in a bank account for at least 2 months maybe three, before he gets the retirement visa. Later today more experienced members could answer the question what type of visa. He could put the money in an account now and then go home and apply for the retirement visa. Hope that this is of some help.

He can apply for a O-A-visa or a multiple non-O visa in Australia. The O-A visa is a lot more paperwork, but does give you 1 year and a multiple O-A even almost 2 years.

If he is going back only once a year, a non-O visa will do and just apply for a 1 year extension of stay, together with a re-entry permit. That will be the most straight forward thing to do. He can get a multiple non-O if he needs more time to season money.

Easy one. No question retirement is best option if he can show cash flow from any pension generating 800K or more annually. Or, a combination of cash in Thai bank to total the 800K. Best option, come in on a 90 day O, Go to Oz embassy , get affidavit of income, open BKK bank acccount, transfer some funds, and apply for Ret visa. It's easy, doesn't require an agent, just a buddy or gal to guide him through the process. No doubt, he fell in love with a friendly, short skirt. Be careful in that regard with his cash.

good luck.

year 5 for me on ret visa

Easy one. No question retirement is best option if he can show cash flow from any pension generating 800K or more annually. Or, a combination of cash in Thai bank to total the 800K. Best option, come in on a 90 day O, Go to Oz embassy , get affidavit of income, open BKK bank acccount, transfer some funds, and apply for Ret visa. It's easy, doesn't require an agent, just a buddy or gal to guide him through the process. No doubt, he fell in love with a friendly, short skirt. Be careful in that regard with his cash.

good luck.

Good advice that will be me in 2 years when I hit 50.

good luck.

Good advise - and in regards to being careful with his cash - tell your dad (when he arrives in Thailand) not to leave his brain at the Airport like many (now) peniless farangs who live here :)