Dial Up Internet Keeps Losing The Connection

Gladiator

I am using TOT online dial-up.

I have used this for several years and at my previous house -although slow and sometimes hard to connect at various times of the day to high number of users, the connection was maintained.

In the house that I now live - the telephone line from TOT is connected to the resort some 250 metres away from my house. An extension cable brings it to my house. The telephone works fine but the Internet dial-up loses the connection

MANY numoerous times over an hour.

I have checked the telephone cable and nothingm branches, bushes, trees etc seems to be interferring with it.

I have also tried CSLOXINFO and TRUE dial up and have the same problem.

If it is distance that it causing the connection problem - is there any such thing as a signal booster that I could use to enhamce the ocnnection?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

I had this problem many years ago.

Sometimes the connection would drop before the handshake had completed........

Costing me 3 baht a time.

It was eventually traced to the cable inside my house.

The electrician had used a thin, cheap cable from the TOT box to my computer room.

Replacing the cable with the one recommended by TOT cured the problem.

I had the same problems after a while when I used dial-up and I blamed my (great) ISP Ji-Net a lot. When I could not connect anymore at all I bought a new modem card. Problems gone. Sorry ISP for blaming you :):D There might be other reasons of course like a bad line. But it might not be the only one.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your replies.

I hooked up my wife's ACER Netbook to the telephone line for dial up and the connection was maintained for a lot longer than my desktop. I then hooked up a ISUS(?) Laptop and no problem - connection maintained.

Since then I have signed up with TOT for 4MB and router. Both the ACER netbook and ISUS laptop work fine but not the desktop. Go figure.

Thanks again