Best Place To Get Beginner Lessons

moonboot

Hi Guys,

I haven't ever played golf, but have always wanted to learn, so now I've (just) moved to bangkok, its my mission to learn.

i want to get some lessons. Can anyone recommend a good course/club etc to get some lessons at? Doesn't have to be the best of the best, but I don't want to slum it... :)

I'm currently living just of sukumvit, in bangkok so anywhere around here.

Price estimates would also be appreciated.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Hi moonboot,

I'm a beginner in golf as well. I go to Tee off range at Sukhumvit42. There are 2 Thai instructors who speak very good English there and they are very nice (from a point of view of a student).

The fees isn't expensive at all (10 hours - 8,000 baht).

Actually there is widing range gold but it costs like... 85,000 baht for 50 hours. Branches in sukhumvit and silom.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi moonboot,

I'm a beginner in golf as well. I go to Tee off range at Sukhumvit42. There are 2 Thai instructors who speak very good English there and they are very nice (from a point of view of a student).

The fees isn't expensive at all (10 hours - 8,000 baht).

Actually there is widing range gold but it costs like... 85,000 baht for 50 hours. Branches in sukhumvit and silom.

'TEE OFF 42" driving range is absolutely the most convenient to practice or learn golf. Located between the Ekamai and Prakanong BTS's . One tray of balls is now 50 baht = good balls, matts and targets on the range.

The service is excellent and also the restaurant food. There are a number of good Thai pros as well as Japanese, Korean, and English speaking professionals. I think that Only 900 baht for 1 hour + is fair for a quality golf lesson.

I teach there myself, Gregory Hanrahan. I've played the PGA Pro Tours & taught for many years. All the golf knowledge and skill to seriously improve is available at Tee Off 42..

post-135000-0-22171000-1312273374_thumb.

post-135000-0-64033600-1312274076_thumb.

post-135000-0-15625200-1312274086_thumb.

Edited by GregHanrahan

moonboot,

First of all - let me tell you that you're already making the right move by asking the quesion rather than go ahead and start bashing 500 balls/day with hopes that it will come naturally. To some, it does, especially when they start at very young age. If I could go back in time and give myself an advice when I was a beginner, it'd be to see a PGA Teaching PRO. Period.

Now, here's a warning: DONT listen to hackers on the driving range claiming to know how to teach, because they don't. DONT listen to average golfers claiming to be able to teach for a small sum. One only have to read some of the threads on this forum to learn that there are average hackers here ready to put on clinics and God knows what.

I would take Gregory's offer and head down to Soi 42.

Good Luck!

moonboot,

First of all - let me tell you that you're already making the right move by asking the quesion rather than go ahead and start bashing 500 balls/day with hopes that it will come naturally. To some, it does, especially when they start at very young age. If I could go back in time and give myself an advice when I was a beginner, it'd be to see a PGA Teaching PRO. Period.

Now, here's a warning: DONT listen to hackers on the driving range claiming to know how to teach, because they don't. DONT listen to average golfers claiming to be able to teach for a small sum. One only have to read some of the threads on this forum to learn that there are average hackers here ready to put on clinics and God knows what.

I would take Gregory's offer and head down to Soi 42.

Good Luck!

Many people on the driving range do not claim to know how to teach, people on the driving range respond to the question, " hey mate what am I doing wrong" if you do not want help do not ask the question!!! there is nothing wrong in discussion between golfers it is up to the individual whether they listen to any given advice,as I have already stated in past posts a couple of golf lessons are okay for the beginner who has no natural ability and just intends to go onto the course and have fun, too many lessons for these people who do not posses this gift can be disastrous, people with natural ability and the time to practice many hours a week and have the ability to change faults in there swing then lessons are invaluable and a must.

Hackers you say, a lot of golfers enjoy the game even if they are a hacker!!

Feel free to tell us what your handicap is and how you view the teaching of people with no natural ability, will the teaching Pro say,"sorry mate you will never be a great golfer and you will never improve,I don't want to take any more of your money" yea right!!!

Edited by kenny999

Many people on the driving range do not claim to know how to teach, people on the driving range respond to the question, " hey mate what am I doing wrong" if you do not want help do not ask the question!!!

And my advice is to not ask the question.

there is nothing wrong in discussion between golfers it is up to the individual whether they listen to any given advice

That's was exactly what I warned about: DONT listen to these people.

as I have already stated in past posts a couple of golf lessons are okay for the beginner who has no natural ability and just intends to go onto the course and have fun, too many lessons for these people who do not posses this gift can be disastrous, people with natural ability and the time to practice many hours a week and have the ability to change faults in there swing then lessons are invaluable and a must.

I am taking my own advice on this one.

I would think so!

Feel free to tell us what your handicap is and how you view the teaching of people with no natural ability, will the teaching Pro say,"sorry mate you will never be a great golfer and you will never improve,I don't want to take any more of your money" yea right!!!

I am pretty sure my handicap is irrelevant. I always refer people who asks for advice to a PGA Teaching PRO.

I would think so!

I am pretty sure my handicap is irrelevant. I always refer people who asks for advice to a PGA Teaching PRO.

You are a very sensible guy!! I am absolutely sure if someone said to you, "excuse me mate could you just tell me if my shoulders are square" you would tell them and not say "sorry mate there is a PGA Pro here ask him" if you did say that I am sure the guy would think you are a right berk!!! in depth and technical instruction should be sought from a qualified teacher but not every one wants to take lessons, some people like to take advice from friends or anyone who is willing to help!! up to them!!

Irrelevant or not whats the problem with letting people know what your handicap is?

Edited by kenny999

You are a very sensible guy!! I am absolutely sure if someone said to you, "excuse me mate could you just tell me if my shoulders are square" you would tell them and not say "sorry mate there is a PGA Pro here ask him"

Well, this thread is not about what you are sure what I would tell someone.

Irrelevant or not whats the problem with letting people know what your handicap is?

Because it's irrelevant. And if you continue to insist that I reveal personal details about myself I am going to report you to the moderators.

You are a very sensible guy!! I am absolutely sure if someone said to you, "excuse me mate could you just tell me if my shoulders are square" you would tell them and not say "sorry mate there is a PGA Pro here ask him"

Because it's irrelevant. And if you continue to insist that I reveal personal details about myself I am going to report you to the moderators.

Lol Lol your handicap is personal information, you are funny mate, report away I am sure they will have a little giggle!! are you a child by any chance no grown man would react this way ha ha

Lol Lol your handicap is personal information, you are funny mate, report away I am sure they will have a little giggle!! are you a child by any chance no grown man would react this way ha ha

Yes, my handicap is personal information. In addition, whether I am a man or child is ALSO irrelevant AND personal. What IS relevant, is my opinion with regards to the OP, which was who to ask for help and why one should ask for help with their golf swing - something I have already clarified earlier in this thread. Considering that you have offered yourself to "give clinics" (information that I refer to simply because you have published this info on TV here), I hope that you do a better job of keeping to the topic.

To the rest of you, sorry for this slight diversion, but my advice is: go see a trained professional, and whatever you do, dont listen to anyone who offers himself to give clinics or help you with your swing unless he knows what he's doing, and if they're not instructors they dont. Period.

I do not give clinics as I am not qualified, and if you say I do again I will report you lol (joke) the clinic post you refer too is between friends who want a day at the range exchanging tips, then we have a game of golf, after the game we all might say or one of us might say, "what a load of boll*cks that tip was" (we all laugh) are you laughing if not you should be!!

I do not give clinics as I am not qualified

Good.

Yes I am good, thanks for the compliment mate, top guy!!! just about to ask a question, stop it!!!!! ha ha

bored now!!!

Still laughing at this post, well funny mate lol lol lol

Edited by kenny999

Yes I am good, thanks for the compliment mate, top guy!!!

If you want to, why not start a thread about how good you are? At least then you might be able to keep to the topic, right?

On a similar topic, if you want to, why not start a thread where people who want to can reveal details about, and discuss their handicap?

This thread is not about you. It's not about me. It's not about my handicap. It's about where to get lessons.

Keep to the topic. Where to get lessons. OK?

Thanks.

Yes I am good, thanks for the compliment mate, top guy!!!

If you want to, why not start a thread about how good you are? At least then you might be able to keep to the topic, right?

On a similar topic, if you want to, why not start a thread where people who want to can reveal details about, and discuss their handicap?

This thread is not about you. It's not about me. It's not about my handicap. It's about where to get lessons.

Keep to the topic. Where to get lessons. OK?

Thanks.

Take a chill pill mate it's all in good fun, after all what else are we too do!! seriously though of course you are right, I will try harder in the future...

Hi Golfers,

To help clarify golf coaching;

First of all - a GOOD teacher of any subject is not out for personal gain (fair remuneration is adequate).

- a GOOD teacher loves their subject - is very knowledgeable about it and works for the success of the student.

- a GOOD GOLF teacher does not limit them-self to one approach for the golf swing as in a "stack and tilt" or "natural golf" or "classic golf" or a "Leadbetter" system.

- a GOOD GOLF teacher has an eye based on experience and will know what is the very best way for each student to swing the club for their optimal performance based on their body type(physique) , physical ability, past ingrained habits & patterns, etc....

there is no one-way set approach to a good golf swing - there are basic sound fundamentals that are essential - yes.

- a GOOD GOLF pro will expedite consistent ball striking and accuracy to ensure the enjoyment of playing the game for the student.

post-135000-0-88147200-1312702010_thumb.

post-135000-0-28964600-1312702343_thumb.

Welcome to the forum, Greg.

It will be good to have some knowledgeable words offered to our golfing plights.

My best handicap was a four but, alas, I would be hard pressed to play to 18 now. Being nearly 74 years old and in bad physical condition doesn't help. The health is fine...I'm just lazy.

Anyway, glad to have your input.

It will be good to have some knowledgeable words offered to our golfing plights.

My best handicap was a four but, alas, I would be hard pressed to play to 18 now. Being nearly 74 years old and in bad physical condition doesn't help. The health is fine...I'm just lazy.

Having been a 4 handicap I am very surprised you are now in bad physical shape and too lazy to bother with golf. I hope I never get this attitude!! but I am 55 and not 74 so who knows how I will feel when and if I reach your age.. I hope I will still have the love and energy for this great game..

Hi Golfers,

To help clarify golf coaching;

First of all - a GOOD teacher of any subject is not out for personal gain (fair remuneration is adequate).

- a GOOD teacher loves their subject - is very knowledgeable about it and works for the success of the student.

- a GOOD GOLF teacher does not limit them-self to one approach for the golf swing as in a "stack and tilt" or "natural golf" or "classic golf" or a "Leadbetter" system.

- a GOOD GOLF teacher has an eye based on experience and will know what is the very best way for each student to swing the club for their optimal performance based on their body type(physique) , physical ability, past ingrained habits & patterns, etc....

there is no one-way set approach to a good golf swing - there are basic sound fundamentals that are essential - yes.

- a GOOD GOLF pro will expedite consistent ball striking and accuracy to ensure the enjoyment of playing the game for the student.

Sounds like an excerpt from an edition of the PGA Teaching Manual...?

Having been a 4 handicap I am very surprised you are now in bad physical shape and too lazy to bother with golf. I hope I never get this attitude!! but I am 55 and not 74 so who knows how I will feel when and if I reach your age.. I hope I will still have the love and energy for this great game..

If you do get my attitude, I trust you will handle it with as much grace as I have. The problem is when you are used to shooting in the 70s and 80s and then start creeping into the 90s as you age, it tends to take some luster off the game. Then when you can't break 100 regularly it does become disheartening. Rather than subject myself to that torment, I gave the game up about a year ago.

I am beginning to get the itch back and may try again in the near future. By the way, when I was 55 I was still playing off 8. It went downhill from there.

Report back in when you reach 74.

• Like 1

If you do get my attitude, I trust you will handle it with as much grace as I have. The problem is when you are used to shooting in the 70s and 80s and then start creeping into the 90s as you age, it tends to take some luster off the game. Then when you can't break 100 regularly it does become disheartening. Rather than subject myself to that torment, I gave the game up about a year ago.

I am beginning to get the itch back and may try again in the near future. By the way, when I was 55 I was still playing off 8. It went downhill from there.

Report back in when you reach 74.

Disheartening is a common word in golf, and being 74 and not being able to hit balls like you did all those years ago must be annoying, as you say I have got this to come, I love too hit the ball miles so when the time comes when I am unable to do this yes I will be very disheartened, try get back into it as being a past 4 handicap you will have lots of tips to pass on to others. I hope I will be here when I am 74 like you.

Edited by kenny999