Best Mobile Operator In Thailand

mkstyle

Hi everybody

I'm going to work the next year in Bangkok, and I just wanted to hear which is the best mobile operator you can get. I heard that Dtac should be good and cheap. And should I pre pay with cards or postalpay where you get your bill send to you. Do they charge the same??

Best regards

Mkstyle

AIS beets Dtac hands down

AIS has definately got the better coverage thanks to an ex- Thai PM who installed all relay masts and extended his phone company's coverage whilst in office........................But ....................DTAC wins hands down for customer service from my experience.

AIS beets Dtac hands down

AIS has definately got the better coverage thanks to an ex- Thai PM who installed all relay masts and extended his phone company's coverage whilst in office........................But ....................DTAC wins hands down for customer service from my experience.

I think both are worthy of each other.

Customer service of AIS I always found to be excellent, with proper English speaking representatives. And pretty much the same from Dtac.

Both have comparable promotion packages, so with both you should find an offer which will closely fits your needs.

AIS has slightly better coverage, and upcountry more of it's cells are Edge capable (faster internet compared to regular GPRS, although if you come from the West and are used to 3G you'll be disappointed :) )

As the OP will stay in Bangkok, coverage likely will be no issue, if he uses internet on his phone, he might want to try a sim card from both operators and see which one has better speeds. One area Dtac will be fast and AIS slow, and another area it can be the other way around! Pre-paid sim cards are only 50 Baht or so, making it cheap just to try out!

And if he is in Bangkok, he might want to consider True, as large parts offer 3G internet now. True is however not so good over the rest of Thailand, with more spotty coverage and large area's, even close to cities, only having regular GPRS coverage...

And if he is in Bangkok, he might want to consider True, as large parts offer 3G internet now. True is however not so good over the rest of Thailand, with more spotty coverage and large area's, even close to cities, only having regular GPRS coverage...

If you decide on True then make sure you understand the Thai language before you ask for your balance as you will never understand the female [or is it a talking snake] who responds.

It depends. For an iPhone, get True; best price for unlimited internet, and 3G connection speeds in Bangkok and other areas.

Posting this over a tethered iPhone, speed test is at 1.5Mbit which really is surprisingly fast, you can't get that out of some DSL lines here...

I'd have to choose AIS over DTAC. I used to have AIS, the wife DTAC. AIS still has much better coverage, and more GPRS coverage too. DTAC often has a bad signal, and often no EDGE, only GPRS.

Edited by nikster

My preference is DTAC and had it for several years without any problems and service has been exemplary, no complaints from me. My wife has AIS probably because her friends tell her it's the best - she complains regularly about problems with it. So, from my point of view DTAC is the best. :)

I recommend DTAC, better service, less expensive and in my experience better coverage within Bangkok.

AIS has too mnay users in the past and sometimes around 5-7pm you cant even connect to the network.

with DTAC you can also pay your phone bill at most ATM machines easily, also at any amount -just incase you get low on funds and need to keep your phone on.

True requires full payment at a 7-11, without the option of partial payment.

• 2 weeks later...

One is not better than the other. It all depends where you are at. I have both AIS and Dtac. True has no signal here. Dtac EDGE is better than AIS where I am located even though both have a full signal. At one time AIS had better coverage but Dtac has pretty well caught up.

If you decide on True then make sure you understand the Thai language before you ask for your balance as you will never understand the female [or is it a talking snake] who responds.

*123#Send

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu