Western/thai Relationships

69690jay

I was reading post by hollywood3000, got closed right quick as expected but as i am bored and the wife is sleeping I started to write a response to his post prior to the post being closed, here is a quote from the original post followed by my two bits......

What is purpose of documentary? I am sure you have some sort of premise or objective to achieve?

It's to shed light on the differences between Western women and Asian women. It tells the stories of a wide variety of men who discovered Asian women and Asian culture and decided it was a better fit for them. It tells the stories of the Asian wives and GF's and why they chose a foreigner over a Asian man. It shatters the old myths about mixed marriages and "mail order brides" and explains the new connection of the east and west through the internet, (edited)Skype and webcams. But most of all it shows that Western/Asian relationships can and do work and in many ways are far better that western/western relationships.

:)

Interesting, though I don't agree that western/Thai relationships work any better than western/western.

In comparison there are but a few western/Thai relationships in Thailand consummated outside of go-go bars, which I believe is the reason so few work any better than western/western relationships.

I think that if met under 'normal' circumstances there is a better chance for the westerner to have a lasting relationship with an Asian woman.

Outside of Thailand and within the kingdom the stigma attached to the foreigners with Thai wife young or old is also part of the reason for marriage failure as well as the immense cultural differences.

There is stigma attached to the Thai lady within the kingdom as well, not so much now as twenty years ago.

When I first came to Thailand 1989 I had a Thai girlfriend, yes met her in nana plaza Bangkok traveled around and ended up in living in Phuket for 8 months, daily she was ridiculed for having Isaan features, they the local south Thai would say to her you Lao and cut their nose off with a sweeping motion of their hand!

She did not like this and said she would get a nose job as soon as she had the money. In my books certainly did not need a nose job as she was absolutely gorgeous.

I thought of spending more time with her, even taking her back to the west, but after 9 months of living together I knew she would be so home sick for somtam; the relationship would not last. If I stayed in Phuket the relationship would not have lasted as I was down to my last few thousand dollars….

Thai women are amazing to the average male new comer; they become handsome kings in a land of a million gorgeous princesses!

For the more seasoned visitor/expat of Thailand they are treated with or with out respect depending on the man. Respect for the fact that 'no money no honey' really does apply in most bargirl westerner 'relationships'.

Don't get me wrong there are many that have loving supportive relationships with Thai bargirls. But history shows that most fail miserably, that is for the kings who fall from their throne and return home with next to nothing.

There are those that know how to play the game; 'pay and play' I call it, whether for an hour, night or a few months, they expect nothing more and nothing less, generally they have a good time. But at the end of the day most of them tell me how they would like to have a long term relationship. I reply yup, and when I hear them tell me of the latest conquest I secretly envy their unattached lifestyle.

I have been married and living in Thailand almost 5 years with my Thai wife, 2 years more and we will be over the hump as they say……. Wow can we make it?

Do I think I have a better relationship with my Thai wife than I did or would with a western woman; no it's all hard work. Same Same but Different.. Just have to remember to smile and look both ways twice ways before crossing the road.

But at the end of the day I love her and that's nice.

I also love Thailand for many reasons that unfortunately here in Phuket are fading fast, too fast.

PS

After some thought while proofing this I come to think that with the growing number of retired western men settling in Thailand and having a much a younger 'wife' the success rate may be on the rise as these woman know that they will live longer and gain more by being good little housewives.

With time any relationship between two individuals grows strong in love and support regardless of cultural differences, so maybe yes, maybe your right that western/Asian is better…? Who would not be happier with a generally good looking Buddhist care-provider in the retirement years?

Edited by 69690jay