TSUNAMI WATCH LIFTED FOR THAILAND: 7.8 Earthquake Hits Northern Sumatra, Indonesia

george

CNN: Pacific Tsunami Warning Center: A "destructive widespread tsunami" is not expected, but local tsunami could hit

REUTERS: POWER BLACKOUT AND PANIC IN INDONESIA'S SIMEULUE ISLAND OFF ACEH FOLLOWING QUAKE - REUTERS WITNESS 2010-04-06 22:56:26 GMT

Reuters bulletin for 3 aftershocks. They are only 5.0, 4.9 and 5.1 magnitudes.

BNO NEWS: JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) -- Indonesian seismological agency issues tsunami warning after 7.8-magnitude earthquake off northern Sumatra.

Update: Japan's Kyodo news agency reports blackouts in Banda Aceh on the Indonesian island of Sumatra following powerful earthquake -- AP

Update: Some Indonesians rush for higher ground following earthquake, tsunami watch -- Reuters

Thailand issues tsunami alert after major Indonesian quake

BANGKOK: -- Thailand issued a tsunami alert Wednesday after a major 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit Indonesia's northern Sumatra, warning people in coastal areas to evacuate to a safe place.

The National Disaster Warning Centre said there was a high risk of a tsunami on the Andaman Coast, which was battered by an Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 that killed an estimated 5,400 people in Thailand alone.

Since then, Thailand has installed a high-tech warning system designed to reassure tourists and businesses that the country's beaches are safe.

The latest alert covered six southern Andaman coastal provinces, including the popular tourist destinations of Phuket and Krabi, the centre said.

The 7.8-magnitude quake struck at a depth of 46 kilometres (29 miles), just off northern Sumatra, at 5:15 am (2215 GMT Tuesday), according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a watch for local tsunamis in Sumatra, saying sea levels indicated a tsunami was generated, but it said a widespread destructive tsunami was not expected.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-07

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Phuket Wan: TSUNAMI ALERT: Phuket Beaches Being Evacuated

PHUKET beaches were being evacuated today amid a tsunami alert, the local director of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, Sam Jantawong, told Phuketwan at 6.30am this morning. All the Andaman provinces were in the process of evacuation, Thai news reports said.

Really? Here in the Khao Lak beach area I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary

Edited by keestha

We confirm NDWC National Disaster Warning Centre in Bangkok announced lifting of tsunami watch (not warning) at 7.22am after analysis not detecting any tsunami wave.

The local Patong, Rawai & Chalong tsunami towers, where our news team went, did not issue any signals nor audio sounds.

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

Thailand cancels tsunami alert after Indonesian quake

BANGKOK: -- Thailand cancelled a tsunami alert issued after a major 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit the Indonesian island of Sumatra on Wednesday, saying only small waves were generated by the tremor.

"We lifted the alert at 7:20 am (0020 GMT) after we found out that no big tsunami occurred," said Sarun Dabbhasuta, director of the National Disaster Warning Centre.

Earlier the centre had warned there was a high risk of a tsunami on the Andaman Coast, which was battered by an Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 that killed an estimated 5,400 people in Thailand alone.

Wednesday's quake struck at a depth of 46 kilometres (29 miles), just off northern Sumatra, according to the US Geological Survey.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-07

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

We confirm NDWC National Disaster Warning Centre in Bangkok announced lifting of tsunami watch (not warning) at 7.22am after analysis not detecting any tsunami wave.

The local Patong, Rawai & Chalong tsunami towers, where our news team went, did not issue any signals nor audio sounds.

I live in Rawai and the first I heard of the warning was when I read this, this morning.

Good job it wasn't for real

Guests staying at ramada resort Khao Lak were evacuated this morning, returned again to their hotel around 07.15.

I myself was driving on the bike from Rawai to Patong this morning, arrived at Patong at 06.20, did not notice anything. On the way back, arrived at Rawai at 07.00, also did not notice anything.

Guests staying in Kata were about to be removed from their hotel (Kata Country House) around 07.25, I was informed about this by phone at that time. After I told them the alarm had been lifted they checked and were informed evacuation was not necessary.

Edited by stevenl

There has been a very (i'm trying not to say piss poor) lackadaisical reaction to the Tsunami warning here in Phuket this morning. Many towers did not sound, people confused, tourists awakened after the wave would have approached, the tourist police hot line unaware there was even a threat.

Phuket at this point, I'm sorry to say, is not prepared for another Tsunami.

There has been a very (i'm trying not to say piss poor) lackadaisical reaction to the Tsunami warning here in Phuket this morning. Many towers did not sound, people confused, tourists awakened after the wave would have approached, the tourist police hot line unaware there was even a threat.

I though the towers were automated? When a wave approaches, they automatically go of. Since there was no wave, there was no tower alarm.

I though the towers were automated? When a wave approaches, they automatically go of. Since there was no wave, there was no tower alarm.

I don't think so. Someone or some group has to decide to set them off, I believe.

Guests staying at ramada resort Khao Lak were evacuated this morning, returned again to their hotel around 07.15.

I myself was driving on the bike from Rawai to Patong this morning, arrived at Patong at 06.20, did not notice anything. On the way back, arrived at Rawai at 07.00, also did not notice anything.

Guests staying in Kata were about to be removed from their hotel (Kata Country House) around 07.25, I was informed about this by phone at that time. After I told them the alarm had been lifted they checked and were informed evacuation was not necessary.

Much of Bang Niang, especially the small resorts, including the one I am staying in were alerted by staff (NOT the aotomated waring system!) and guests/residents followed the Tsunami Evacuation Route up towards the Chong Fah Waterfall or other siide roads on the montain side of the highway.

According to our resort owner, the main waring pylon in our area had been disabled by the theft of cabling which has not been replaced. If true, disgraceful on the part of the thief and the authorities for neglecting to repair it. :)