A Nice Cold Beer By The River

JimShortz

I am constantly amazed by the way Chiang Mai manages to almost completely ignore the fact that there is a rather nice river flowing straight through it. Now, I know there is the Good View, Riverside, Brasserie group of eateries alongside the river but they are not really what I'm looking for. What other options do we have?

Here's two very different options that I know of - please add more:

1. A couple of shacks that sell beer right down next to the water - with some rickety old wooden benches to sit on. Very rustic, but a nice place to have an afternoon beer or two. Get to this by walking across the footbridge from the Warorot flower market; as you walk across the bridge look down to your left, you can't miss it.

2. The "See River" (terrible, but descriptive name!) restaurant. Okay food, but more importantly great beer promotions at the moment (cheap deals on sets of 3 beers). I went their last night and really enjoyed sitting next to the river, and we almost had the place to ourselves. We got great service and the Thai singing/guitar playing duo were very good too. Find this place by going south on Chang Klan Road until it turns sharply to the right (just past the Siri Lanna hotel) and you will see it on your left.

3. Over to you! Don't be shy... :)

You could try the old Bears Den now reincarnated as PizzaMania located just a little way up stream from the Rimping Condo.

Quiet with ice cold beers; the food is ok and for somewhere to sit almost in the centre of town it works for me (sometimes).

Rather nice river it may be, but get down wind of it some evenings and I think you will be describing it in somewhat different terms e.g. noxious, putrescent, stinking and offensive! Choose the night of your riverside meal with care! :)

Cheers

YOS

You could try the old Bears Den now reincarnated as PizzaMania located just a little way up stream from the Rimping Condo.

Quiet with ice cold beers; the food is ok and for somewhere to sit almost in the centre of town it works for me (sometimes).

I loved the Bear's Den. It was just a pity that few customers led to its closure. The Montri is one I've seen and heard about and will try soon.

I loved the Bear's Den. It was just a pity that few customers led to its closure. The Montri is one I've seen and heard about and will try soon.

Is that the place with the huge billboards blocking the view of the river?  That's my memory of walking by one Loy Kratong festival a few years back.  If so, hardly has a riverside atmosphere.

When out for a diner, just keep in mind Montri is the kind of place where they are not able to serve 4 plates at once, and for some reason the Thai food comes always first while the rest will have to wait for another 20, 30 minutes, this can be very annoying or embarrasing when in company of guests.

Montri is best for some drinks and a talk with friends or just on your own with a book. Very relaxing open air lounge with great seats.

Tip: when in the evening bring mosquito lotion.