Work Permits !

You can definitely add a second job to an existing work permit. But - you cannot have a job for a BOI company on the same work permit as a job with a non-BOI company - so - in this case for sure - you may have two work permits.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Well I wasnt actually looking to "add" a 2nd job to an existing work permit, firstly I didnt know you could do this, secondly I dont have one that I can add to !!

What I was planning on doing is applying for 2 work permits for 2 seperate companies, one in Phuket & one in Bangkok to be more precise.

So what your saying is I can have 2 jobs on one work permit ? Does this mean I simply apply for the 1st one and then simply "add on" the other job ? :o

Work Permits are issued by a local work permit office - you must apply within the jurisdiction wherethe job is based.

Since you are talking aout operating from two far-removed cities, you will probably need to have two work permit booklets.

Here's what I suggest - proceed to obtain a first work permit booklet. Then, when applying for second work permit, attach to the application a photocopy of your first work permit booklet. Then - let them decide how they want to handle your second job - whether they want to issue you a second booklet, or whether they simply add second job to your existing work permit booklet.

Normally, you cannot get a work permit, if you have failed to close out a previous job/work permit. But they probably have an exception procedure for someone with multiple jobs.

All previous work we have done in this area involved two jobs in the ame jurisdiction - and they simply added second job to existing booklet. In the one case of someone with a BOI work permit, the second job was documented with a separate work permit booklet - so that is definitely a possibility.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Logically (if there is logic in Thailand :-) ), I'd think you'd need two work permits if you plan to do work in two separate provinces/jurisdictions. What would happen, say, if you stopped working in Phuket but continued working in Bangkok? The Phuket office would expect the work permit book to be returned to them to be cancelled, but you'd need the book back to continue your Bangkok work.

As long as you have one you will be ok.

I bet no-one has ever heard of anyone getting done for having only one WP but working two jobs, I certainly haven not.

What a lot of expense and hassle having two would be. I would keep that money aside and if, in the very very unlikely situation of getting hassled, bribe them.

Well, I can tell you for certain that we have had a client who was fined for working at a second location of his company (IT company) - company and work permit said Bangkok, but he was working for months at a time in Phuket. He came to us to get a second work location (for same employer) added to work permit - which was a routine transaction.

In Bangkok, it is very unlikely that anyone will have problems with Labor Ministry - they effectively have no enforcement arm. And Bangkok Immigration does not tend to get involved enforcing work permit rules.

But - I understand that things are different in Pattaya, and much different in Phukhet and Samui - in those locations, in a tourism environment, you are much more likely to be challenged to show your work permit - and your circumstances need to match what is stated in the work permit.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Well, I can tell you for certain that we have had a client who was fined for working at a second location of his company (IT company) - company and work permit said Bangkok, but he was working for months at a time in Phuket.

How much was the fine?

I would, and do tell all my friends not to bother, as the Thais don't really care.

Edited by Neeranam

Well, I can tell you for certain that we have had a client who was fined for working at a second location of his company (IT company) - company and work permit said Bangkok, but he was working for months at a time in Phuket.

How much was the fine?

I would, and do tell all my friends not to bother, as the Thais don't really care.

Thanks guys. My guess is that I will need 2 work permits. The only thing that concerns me is that I have only one Non immigrant B visa, now im assuming that you wouldnt be required to have 2 visas but doesn’t my B visa only qualify for me to apply for a work permit for the company that was on the initial application ?

In other words can a B visa be used for any company and not necessarily the company it was intended for ?