The Cost Of Inaction

losworld

I think Ab is an intelligent man but perhaps not savvy enough. The time to have dealt with this crisis is before the demonstrations began. I for one on this board have recommended some time ago that the Gov't set up a special Cabinet position or post to deal strictly with the issues of Northern Thailand and those who feel they have been excluded by the democratic process. The time to put forward a debt moratorium is months behind us and not in the present. If anything announcing at this time will only feed the fire that the Red Shirt demonstrators are successful and maybe by pushing the envelope they can go farther. Proactive policies sooner would not have stopped the demonstrations but would have drastically reduced their numbers and impact.

He also now risks the possibility of looking weak having attempted negotiations with the Reds. Bottom line is the Reds are firstly a front for Thaksin and secondly a loose band of protestors looking for democracy. The only way to deal with this type of movement is to act swiftly and forcefully or you cannot hold the government.

Not sure if Ab is getting bad political advise from others or simply is unable to read the situation and act according!

I'd just like to say I hope this all ends peacefully but I am not totally confident of this outcome.

Edited by losworld