Good Routes To Chiang Mai?

Speedup

Have any recommendations for routes to Chiang Mai besides A1 and A2? I'd like to take a route thats less frequented by a lot of cars and those 10 wheeled trucks that drive like lunatics.

I'll be on a CBR 150. slightly modified with a cruising speed of around 120-140kph when the road is clear.

I' also need a good detailed map, the maps at 7-11 aren't detailed enough and leave out a lot of small roads, are the GT rider maps detailed in this aspect or are they just for dirt routes up north?

If i do end up taking either A1 or A2, which one is more scenic?

Haven't bought any for a while but go to Asia Books or S-Ed or whatever it is called. Michelin used to have an OK map. The big Thailand Atlas is OK but too big for carrying on a bike.

I only know two "detours" but they each go a different way.

One can take the 2089 north from just outside Saraburi and then the 2275 up to Phetchabun and Lom Sak but that is going north and is off the direct route.

Or there is the 1084 from north of Nakhon Sawan which follows the river to Kampang Phet and then 101 through Sukothai and Si Satchanalai and joins 11 south west of Lampang.

Crudely measured the second option bypasses about 15% more but you have to travel further on A2 to get to it. The first option can be got to by going through Kao Yai and turning left.

So it's either A2 to Nakon Sawan at the beginning of the ride or Hwy 12 and 11 to and around Phitsonaluk to Lampang at the end.

Edited by VocalNeal

Hi Speedup

Where are you based? When are you heading up to Chiang Mai?

I'm currently in Surat and will be leaving for Chiang Mai tomorrow (Friday 9th). I'm doing Surat to Chiang Mai and back on one of our Honda PCXs. I used microsoft virtual earth (Bing Maps) to plan my route, it' easier than google earth to find more diverse/alternative roads. I've had a few practice runs - Surat to Phuket, Surat to Nakhon, Surat to Hatyai and Surat to Bangkok. I've done all these trips in single hits - only stopping for gasohol, food, coffee and ciggys. The PCX has coped with it all quite admirably.

If you fancy company on the road just send me a PM

Edited by Scuddy

Hey Scuddy whats going on...I'm won't be leaving for Chiang Mai until the end of April, getting my last paycheck then I'm out of Bangkok. So unfortunately it doesn't look like our time frames will match up.

Let us know what routes you took! :)

Hey Scuddy whats going on...I'm won't be leaving for Chiang Mai until the end of April, getting my last paycheck then I'm out of Bangkok. So unfortunately it doesn't look like our time frames will match up.

The two maps I use extensively are both from Berndtson & Berndtson, "Thailand" and the other "Thailand North". The GT Rider map is more for a ride from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son and is excellent for bikes of all kinds. Are you looking for less traveled routes from BKK to CNX or routes to take once in CNX? Both I would imagine. I like highway 11 from Phitsanulok to Lampang. I've never taken 11 south of Phitsanulok. Anyway you look at it, the north-south routes are generally crowded. Once in Chiang Mai, if you travel in the direction of Phayao, Chiang Khong, or Nan traffic lightens dramatically and the roads are generally good. Also, check the Chiang Mai Bike Week website for suggested routes around our fair city.

The two maps I use extensively are both from Berndtson & Berndtson, "Thailand" and the other "Thailand North".

Cheers They look better than Michelin for smaller roads. On my Michelin there are no smaller roads shown in the Kampheang Saen triangle but the image on the Berndtson website has some.

Edited by VocalNeal

Hello Speedup,

Let us know what route you take, how you liked it, etc. Road conditions, restaurants, traffic. Thanks.

I'll be picking up my Ducati (I hope, it's been since December!) soon in Bangkok, and will be looking to ride it back if I don't use Thai Postal to ship it to Chiangmai. Much cheaper to ship than ride, but no fun in that!

I'd offer to ride with ya...but I will still be awaiting the paperwork. Just paid the Excise tax on it last week (ouch, bohica baby!), last stage awaiting paperwork from government before it finally is legal to ride.

I'm curious what is the best and safest route, which the most scenic, etc. I'm an old fart: I only go fast when I can see where I am going to stop and am sure I can do so. ;<)

Riding back in tourist van from visa run to Mae Sae yesterday, we were on a sweeping right hand turn, in slow lane, when from around blind corner comes two vehicles the other direction...with one of them completely in the passing lane in our direction, completely over the yellow line.

I took it as a timely reminder.

I'll probably be heading out around mid May, have a few loose ends to take care of, and want the weather to cool down just a bit first before i fry on the road upnorth.

But a Ducati and a CBR 150? Give me a head start ok?..anyway, if you want to get lost on the way to chiang mai, let me know!