Goods To The Uk

Am putting together buisness plan to export goods from Thailand to the UK in the near future. My wife is Thai and will shortly be coming to the UK (once she gets her settlement visa). She has made contact and been to see the people who manufatcure the products we are considering.

Has anyone dealt with companies shipping via air/boat to the UK. If so can you recommend any trustworthy companies. I know you can go to people like DHL etc but was looking to see if there were better rates available.

The consignemnts may be small at first but grow as things progress.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PS Hope you guys in Thailand not sweating to much in the blistering heat. Great excitement in the UK around 13C and convertibles have their roofs down and people talking about barbeques :)

I don’t want to burst your bubble but “I know you can go to people like DHL etc” indicates that you really are not aware of the business world you are in!

Although DHL will also happily do big consignments, this is not what anybody who wants to import/export anything bigger than a small box will consider; and only if it is something like gold etc (due to their insurance) and even then for something like that you would probably want to be next to the package. DHL is not a cost effective container shipper.

Take my advice, go back to square one and reassess your happy love business. I have seen too many Westerners lose their shirt in love and due to their circumstances start dreaming about business etc (primarily to provide financial support for the relationship).

You might have seen things cheap in Thailand compared to the UK! Go back to any Tesco and you will see clothing and footwear sold at prices that beat a street vendor in Thailand. With your costs of shipping, VAT, import regulations etc. You will not beat that sector!

I could go on analyzing every other kind of product: the key problem here is your lack of knowledge and “The consignemnts may be small at first but grow as things progress.” which indicates you are not a big player.

I say the above with my best of intentions and do not wish to insult. Your story reminds me of a thousand other stories that end with the wife divorcing, made a lot of money out of the relationship (including a house and monthly payments that the Westerner sends the female). The common factor was a Westerner in love with lots of good intentions.

I don’t want to burst your bubble but “I know you can go to people like DHL etc” indicates that you really are not aware of the business world you are in!

Although DHL will also happily do big consignments, this is not what anybody who wants to import/export anything bigger than a small box will consider; and only if it is something like gold etc (due to their insurance) and even then for something like that you would probably want to be next to the package. DHL is not a cost effective container shipper.

Take my advice, go back to square one and reassess your happy love business. I have seen too many Westerners lose their shirt in love and due to their circumstances start dreaming about business etc (primarily to provide financial support for the relationship).

You might have seen things cheap in Thailand compared to the UK! Go back to any Tesco and you will see clothing and footwear sold at prices that beat a street vendor in Thailand. With your costs of shipping, VAT, import regulations etc. You will not beat that sector!

I could go on analyzing every other kind of product: the key problem here is your lack of knowledge and “The consignemnts may be small at first but grow as things progress.” which indicates you are not a big player.

I say the above with my best of intentions and do not wish to insult. Your story reminds me of a thousand other stories that end with the wife divorcing, made a lot of money out of the relationship (including a house and monthly payments that the Westerner sends the female). The common factor was a Westerner in love with lots of good intentions.

I echo this, if your exports where of any significance you'd be talking to freight companies like NYK Bulkship logistics http://www.nyklogistics.com/ or http://www.nyk.com/english/group/s_asia.htm not DHL shipping with them will destroy your profit margin & the other poster is correct, a street vendor will never be able to compete with the likes of Tesco. Also the weakness of Euro-American currencies over their Asian counterparts makes importing from Asia to the West very expensive at this time.

If you are genuinely serious about doing this then find a customer in the West for your product first then with an order in hand go to the factories out here in Asia & find the factory that can give you the best price. Then contact a shipping agent when you know when the orders will be ready make sure all the import export duty & VAT paperwork is done. Don't put the cart before the horse by sourcing Logistic companies before factories or wholesalers & don't even think about it unless you can shift serious quantities, small orders are just not worth it.

Check the forum sponsors first, what can be more trustworthy than raro's cargoshop and get your goods shipped by a real moderator? :)

We are doing freight forwarding and take on consignments big and small.

@Stjohnm: in order to talk to shipping lines directly you need enormous volumes, say 100s of containers a month, otherwise they would not be much interested in talking to you. Yes, a forwarder as shipping agent between the shipper and the liner cuts a profit but you get probably still a better rate than going to the liner directly.

Thanks to all for your advice and I know the scare mungeres mean well :)

The reason for doing a business plan is to assess the viability of dealing with the products we are looking at. These will not be cheapo clothes etc. I am well aware of profit margins etc. I have run my own business in the UK for 19 years so my head is not up with the fairies when it comes to "yes love lets do that"

i was recently quoted a price from chiang mai to uk, to either southampton or folkston, the 2 major ports, by boat, taking 1 month, cost was 9000bht for first cubed meter and 5000bht for each cubicmeter after that.

is that pretty standard? i'm yet to check around as not shipping till next month.