Electricity Prices ? Confused? I Am

I'm slowly getting to grips here with the pricing of electricity here. This is the hot season and last month my electricity bill was 3000Baht for a large house.

It seems that the more you use the more per unit you pay. For example, I have a copy of a schedule ( which might be out of date). For the first 5 KwHr you pay 1.3576 Bt, for over 50 KwHr you pay 2.2734

Now I know I am Farang, but normally in the real world the more bulk you buy, the cheaper per unit it is. How come it's back to front here?

I'm told by my Thai teacher that it's to subsidise the poor people. Is that my job or is it the job of the government/ industry?. Just how much does large industry pay per unit?

Very confused, but I know TIT!

HELP!!!!!!!

This is an old one, they've always been a bit of a mystery to me as I speak no Thai. It might be helpful for many people if someone could explain it a bit more.

There appears to be three different rates - like I said it's an old invoice but it's the only one I could find so maybe the prices and bands have changed.

I used to leave my three quite old A/C units running 24/7 which explains the high bills here, I had two months on the run of high bills. I think older A/C equipment uses more electricity - does this sound about right ?

post-44895-1270736409_thumb.jpg

^^^^

If you look on the rh side by the barcode you will see the rates per unit.

0-150 at 1.8 baht per unit,

150-400 at 2.8 baht per unit,

401 and up at 3.0 baht per unit.

So basically you used 150 x 1.8 = 271

+ 250 x 2.8 = 694

+ 1878 x 3.0 = 5 593

total = 6 558

Your use is banded into 3 tiers, as mentioned before the more you use the more expensive it becomes per unit.

When was the last time you had your a/c serviced?

For the benefit of the good Herr Doctor, 1 unit equates to 1 kwh.

For the first 5 KwHr you pay 1.3576 Bt, for over 50 KwHr you pay 2.2734

You're on the normal residential rate.

The correct numbers are given here: http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/downloadable/e...ricityrates.pdf

The arithmetic works on your bill, except for the FT index, which has been 0.9255 for over a year, but your bill suggests it has dropped to 0.6285, saving you more than 700 baht.

Or maybe the FT charge is capped.

• 2 weeks later...
:) I think i'm being scammed by the apartment building i'm living in. I pay 9 Baht per unit, last month i used 433 units so my bill is almost 4000 baht! I only have 1 airconditioner (runs +/- 20 hours/day), 1 pc, 1TV (almost never turned on), 1 refrigerator and some small electric appliances. Edited by Songbkk2

:) I think i'm being scammed by the apartment building i'm living in. I pay 9 Baht per unit, last month i used 433 units so my bill is almost 4000 baht! I only have 1 airconditioner (runs +/- 20 hours/day), 1 pc, 1TV (almost never turned on), 1 refrigerator and some small electric appliances.

Unfortunately that is standard for rental apartments, they will charge what they can get away with. I've paid 7 Baht per unit in the past and also been asked for as much as 12B/unit. You are always much better off to rent a place where you have your own meters and pay the bills direct to the electricity company rather than the landlord.

^^^^

If you look on the rh side by the barcode you will see the rates per unit.

0-150 at 1.8 baht per unit,

150-400 at 2.8 baht per unit,

401 and up at 3.0 baht per unit.

So basically you used 150 x 1.8 = 271

+ 250 x 2.8 = 694

+ 1878 x 3.0 = 5 593

total = 6 558

Your use is banded into 3 tiers, as mentioned before the more you use the more expensive it becomes per unit.

When was the last time you had your a/c serviced?

For the benefit of the good Herr Doctor, 1 unit equates to 1 kwh.

It's an incentive for Thai's to use less electricity.

The several `stages` in price is something what is done in a lot of countries. Nothing `just Thai` about it.

Yes, it's the same here in Greece. Once you reach a certain level, you move into a higher price band. Only two tiers for private users, I think.

From the MEA web site. Most of us would come in under the residential rates in table 1.2

MEA Residential Tariffs

From the PEA web site. Again most of us would fit in to the residential rates in table 1.1.2

PEA Residential Tariffs

If you live in an residence that has one primary meter from the utility company and then distributes to all the units such as an apartment or condo. The owner pays the rates per his connection for the primary meter and then the owner is free to distribute the electric inside the place and charge whatever he can get. Typically in the 6 to 13 baht per kwh range for serviced apartments and condos.

When renting any place it is always a good practice to ask the owner/manager what the electric rates are and if you the renter will pay directly to the MEA/PEA or to the apartment/condo office. If they tell you the rates are more than a total of about 4 baht per kwh then you can be sure the rates are not the government rates

Edited by longball53098

I lost my chance to edit my last post so here is a modified .xls workbook that I pulled from the MEA website. It amounts to a calculator for the electrical use based on the most current rates for the kwh used and the fuel surcharge used currently. The Ft cell is already populated in the sheet. This actual workbook is found on the MEA site using the 4th dropdown from the left and the third one down the list. See the screen shot.

post-20917-1271647782_thumb.jpg

I modified the workbook to show only two sheets that pertain to most residential users. Easy to use by just entering the kwh in to the upper blue cell and tab out of it or click enter and the sheet will calculate the cost. Enter a new FT cost only if you know what he Ft chage is in you're area.

ERCalculate1.xls

I did this in a bit of a hurry so please let me know if all the uploads are working.

This is an old one, they've always been a bit of a mystery to me as I speak no Thai. It might be helpful for many people if someone could explain it a bit more.

There appears to be three different rates - like I said it's an old invoice but it's the only one I could find so maybe the prices and bands have changed.

I used to leave my three quite old A/C units running 24/7 which explains the high bills here, I had two months on the run of high bills. I think older A/C equipment uses more electricity - does this sound about right ?

In effect this can be true because as mechanical devices age they get worn and perform less efficient. The main reason though can be given to the SEER rating of your unit. The building codes in many countries are requiring higher and higher seer ratings. The higher the rating, more capital you will spend but reduce your electrical useage for the same tonnage of cold air produced. (simplified to the consumer)

The basis for the West and some other parts of the world to offer a lesser price for the bulk users: Electric producers offer this because they want to be able reduce the peak and valley of the electrical useage. The flatter the electrical demand curve the cheaper to produce electricity. A power company can not store power waiting on the peaks and valleys of demand. A power company wants to run as few turbines as possible. I am not making sense I know. Basically the company wants to make the demand for power as constant with the fewest swings in demands. Buld users flatten this line. The residential users are the worst. No such thing as load sharing in Thailand probably. If you can get a country to buy into load sharing you can redistribute power and control the waste but everyone needs to participate. In the hottest months no one leave the house with the ac running.

Here is solution to the higher rates of those for progressive billing. The HVAC system draws the most power. A chilled water system draws the most power, package units the second most and window and split units next. For you buiness owners to save money you can add more meters to your building. This is hard some times because of local restrictions. Use the split units more which look ugly on the outside of builing. But you can use package units tied to one meter each and if you do not live in too tall of a builing this works cost wise. BUT if you want fresh air supply then you spend as much on power. So to save money on electricity you have to go without fresh air supply. Then you have a problem or risk having negative pressure on your apartment or businesss. The system will suck air through every crack in the building. Once the bldg settles you will get large cracks and in the extreme hot you will get condensation at the cracks of the walls and it will look like it is raining inside you apartment. This can go on and on. I deal with this because where I live we have prgressive electrical rates and my clients are always trying to get around this problem in building low to high rise buildings. What is best for the tenants goes out the window to save a baht.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone clarify what something means in the above bill.

In the totals at the bottom left side of the invoice there is a number of 1,431.72 Bt that is added to the invoice.

It appears that 1431.72 is added to the electric price of 6,598.81 making a total of 8,030.53 to which tax is then added.

As this bill is a few years old I can't remember what it was - is it a previous balance carried forward ?

I had a similar bill recently (with higher amounts) and could really do with finding out what it means.

Thanks !

Has never made any sense to me either. But when you think of it this way:

If someone doesn't think or seem to worry about how much electricity they use then they must have lots of money so charge them more TIT

Just waiting for the same to happen to beer 1st three 80baht next 2 150baht and so on.

The several `stages` in price is something what is done in a lot of countries. Nothing `just Thai` about it.

Still a silly thing. Everyone should pay what the cost is to produce their units. What is next, you pay more per bite if you order more food?

if anybody thinks his electricity bill is high the might get a small consolation by looking at my last bill (april/may) :D

Holy Moly Naam: What are you doing? No need for hydroponics in the tropics mate.

i have a rather big home James, outside it is hotter than usual, i don't like to sweat, one third of my aircons are running during day time. as simple as that. for last month i estimated 13,000 Baht but was really off the mark :) same period last year was ~11,900 Baht.

i have a rather big home James, outside it is hotter than usual, i don't like to sweat, one third of my aircons are running during day time. as simple as that. for last month i estimated 13,000 Baht but was really off the mark :) same period last year was ~11,900 Baht.

I just had my bill for May which is for about 13,000 Bt and I wasn't there for the last 11 days of the month, I am highly suspicious and have been recording meter readings. I'm now wondering if some appliance is malfunctioning.

I just had my bill for May which is for about 13,000 Bt and I wasn't there for the last 11 days of the month, I am highly suspicious and have been recording meter readings. I'm now wondering if some appliance is malfunctioning.

that seems quite high. it all depends what area you are cooling down to what temperature. i maintain ~80% of my living area at an average temperature of 26-27ºC. if the desired temperature of all the area was 22ºC my electricity bill would exceed 50,000 Baht. but even with my installed total capacity (273,000 btu/h) i doubt i could achieve 22º at ambient temperatures that vary presently between min 29 and max 34ºC.

that seems quite high. it all depends what area you are cooling down to what temperature. i maintain ~80% of my living area at an average temperature of 26-27ºC. if the desired temperature of all the area was 22ºC my electricity bill would exceed 50,000 Baht. but even with my installed total capacity (273,000 btu/h) i doubt i could achieve 22º at ambient temperatures that vary presently between min 29 and max 34ºC.

If only you had bought 'advance & modern' inverter airconditioning systems :):D

If only you had bought 'advance & modern' inverter airconditioning systems :D:D

which wouldn't have saved me a single Satang. the simple reason is that nearly all my units are placed "strategically" and meant to run continously in cooling mode at low fan speed in order to achieve the highest possible dehumidification (anybody who complains in Thailand about ACs drying out air too much and cause sinus problems is in my [not so] humble view a hypochonder) :D

the only area i can think of where an inverter unit might make sense is the master bedroom. the latter has a big unit to cool down the room to an arctic :) 18ºC which i prefer when i go to bed and a small unit which only kicks in at 25ºC when the room has warmed up :D

Or a bunch of penguins broke in and had a massive party. :)