Teaching Russian

Hello friends!

I have a question regarding teaching work in Thailand. I know there are a good bunch of people who teach English. But how about other languages? What are the most popular foreign languages that Thai people learn?

For example I speak fluently German, English and Russian. Will it be even reasonable to search for a job, say, as a Russian teacher? Anyone know any info about that? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Not many Thai people what to learn English, so i doubt they would want to learn Russian.

Also before learning Russian, they would need to learn English first.

Try contacting schools like Wallen, Pro Language, and few other large known schools

is there some kind of poll showing thais dont want to learn englishh?

Not that i am aware of. just the common sense. If they did, then more Thai people would speak English, especially Doctors and lawyers and all other university educated people.

Not many Thai people what to learn English, so i doubt they would want to learn Russian.

Try contacting schools like Wallen, Pro Language, and few other large known schools

???????????????

not many what to learn .....means not many want ...........i dont know.........you wrot e it.

???????????????

not many what to learn .....means not many want ...........i dont know.........you wrot e it.

its called spelling mistake, did not know i was applying for a job or doing an English test.

???????????????

its called spelling mistake, did not know i was applying for a job or doing an English test.

no offense, but spelling i couldve figgured out. saying not many thai people want to learn english means not many want to learn english. you couldnt have been more klear.

im just havin fun.............you from kanada?

A French friend of mine (who is also fluent in English & Thai) taught his lingo on a freelance basis for a couple of years but in the end gave it up as he found customers hard to come by especially when the Credit crunch started to bite. I would have though there would be far more interest in languages like Spanish & French before Russian, check out the Russian Embassy or Chamber of Commerce they may have a project or school that can find you a job.

There is a high demand for learning English and some demand for learning Chinese. Others like to learn French or Japanese as a third language. A smaller minority also choose to study German, Spanish and a variety of other languages, which would include Russian. The number is so small to make it nigh on impossible to find work teaching Russian unless you are working in a university or dealing with Thais who must speak Russian with Russian tourists, at work in an embassy or have business dealing with Russians.

If you speak English fluently and do not have a strong Russian accent, then it is highly possible that you will be able to find work teaching English.

Thanks Stjohnm and Sunderland for your answers!

I don't have Russian accent when I speak English (because Russian is not my mother tongue anyways). Was just curious if there is a place under the sun of Thailand for those who can teach less popular language :)

But you have answered on my question, thanks a lot!

Regards

I would say that your skills as a Russian teacher would be in high demand! Take a visit to Pattaya or Jomtien. What is the language that you hear being spoken all around you in the tourist areas? It is Russian. When I go to my local Thai restaurant in Jomtien, they already employ a Russian-speaking waitress, (because many of the Russian tourists speak little English).

Russian may not be in demand in Chiang Mai or Khon Kaen, or even in Bangkok - But in Pattaya I am sure you could partner up with an existing language school to teach Russian.

Simon