Exchange Rates

worriedgary

Hi folks,

excuse my ignorance, but why is the baht so strong??

I thought with all the problems here that my pension whould be leaving me laughing!

But alas, i have to find more work,{ which if any of you have i would be very gratefull and work my boll__'s off}.

Can someone please politely expian?

Its not that the baht is strong, its your base currency thats weak.

Dont know what your base currency is, lets assume its the £, I think at the moment the £ is about 48 or 50 to the baht.

If we take pre '97 crash, the £ was usually about 40, so at the moment the £ is actually up about 20 or 25 %.

If your base currency is US $, pre '97 it hovered around 25 to the baht, today its about 32 or 33, so still up about about 30%.

Its not that the baht is strong, its your base currency thats weak.

Dont know what your base currency is, lets assume its the £, I think at the moment the £ is about 48 or 50 to the baht.

If we take pre '97 crash, the £ was usually about 40, so at the moment the £ is actually up about 20 or 25 %.

If your base currency is US $, pre '97 it hovered around 25 to the baht, today its about 32 or 33, so still up about about 30%.

That makes sense, but the current problems in Thailand don't effect the GBP, wouldn't this level of unrest have a direct impact on a countries economy or has the trouble not been extreme enough to have had much of an effect on this kind of thing???

thanks in advance and apologies for being such a terrible economist.