An Open Appeal

mca

This is an open appeal from the SFPCIQ ( The Society for the Protection of Correct Insertion of Quotes).

At the moment there seems to be a proliferation of incorrectly inserted quotes in posts which makes them indiscernible from the actual post. It's making things bloody difficult to read!

A step by step guide

1) [

2) quote

3) ]

4) insert desired text

5) [

6) /quote

7) ]

Thank you for your valuable time

mca

President.

:)

Edited by mca

At the moment there seems to be a proliferation of incorrectly inserted quotes in posts which makes them indiscernible from the actual post. It's making things bloody difficult to read!

You lost me with all that tech stuff. If only there was a ' Wrap in Quote tags' button I could use that would add them automatically.

You lost me with all that tech stuff. If only there was a ' Wrap in Quote tags' button I could use that would add them automatically.

In Firefox, there is a "Paste Quote" function that does just that:

If only there was a ' Wrap in Quote tags' button

This forum software already checks for too many nested quotes and too many smileys. You would have thought it wouldn't be so hard to check for matching quotes.

In case you missed it. Here. :)

post-41194-1271054352_thumb.jpg

In case you missed it. Here. :D

Its not that fekkin hard people :)

In case you missed it. Here. :)

Never noticed that before. But I often notice this:

You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text

In case you missed it. Here. :D

Its not that fekkin hard people :)

AGREED! :D

^^ Which is a god send when punters decide to daisy-chain their witty ripostes, dazzling repartee, bitches and whines to the whole <deleted>' enchilada by abusing the Full Reply button when a 'Fast Reply' with a simple ^ (if it's to the last mesage), ^^ (to the second last message), etc. is so much easier. Nobody is going to read through a whole slew of messages just to get the relevance or point of the last post.

Edited by NanLaew

^^ Which is a god send when punters decide to daisy-chain their witty ripostes, dazzling repartee, bitches and whines to the whole <deleted>' enchilada by abusing the Full Reply button when a 'Fast Reply' with a simple ^ (if it's to the last mesage), ^^ (to the second last message), etc. is so much easier. Nobody is going to read through a whole slew of messages just to get the relevance or point of the last post.

I don't expect anybody to read all the quoted posts, but it does put the last reply in context, i.e. you can quickly review the history of what is being discussed without having to scroll up to whichever post is being replied to.

Most threads on TV generate several diverging discussions, so being able to review all the relevant posts saves time. The alternative is to scroll back and ignore the posts that are not on the specific topic that you want to reply to.

The biggest problem occurs when people delete the top of a quoted post, removing the initial "[quote" line, causing all subsequent quotes to fail, leaving a right mess. I would have thought the forum software should take care of that - i.e refuse to accept the post - but it doesn't.