Partition Of Thailand Now Necessary?

cavelight

Partitioning Thailand might solve some problems - especially Isaan. If Isaan had its own parliament with tax-raising powers (a bit like the Scottish parliament in the UK) the people might get a feeling that they were a bit more in control of their own destiny, rather than being dictated to by the rich elite in Bangkok.

LOL... 'a bit like the Scottish parliament'. Now there's a <deleted> entity for you where the purse strings are still firmly held by London.

Back to the OP, sure... go ahead and partition the country. Tried and tested in Israel & Palestine and the Koreas. Also worked fantastically well separating the two Germany's after WWII.

LOL... 'a bit like the Scottish parliament'. Now there's a <deleted> entity for you where the purse strings are still firmly held by London.

Yes, that's exactly my point - a fudged solution here is a good solution... it would give the Isaan people a feeling at least that they had some control. I'm not talking about partition into different nations, which as you suggest is often worse than doing nothing.

Who exactly is going to pay this tax. Your average Chai looks upon paying tax as a serious loss of face. :)

Well the Isaan parliament building will just have to be made from bamboo then... :D ...but seriously, I think it's not a bad idea. It would give Isaan people some pride in their own region, as well as removing many of their political squabbles from Bangkok to somewhere hundreds of km away.

And what part you would give to big white man ?

I suggest we take over the east side of Chonbury, Ocean Marine (former Sattahip) will be the capital.

Aussies and New Zealanders however will need special visa based on Thai visarules.

11041561.png

:)

Edited by ManilaLover

So glad you mentioned it, I had forgotten something.

Getting HER to discuss or answer anything about Thai politics has been like trying to move an elephant sideways.

However back around 2007, around the time of our previous visit Home, SHE made a definitive comment to me. 'Thailand is going to break up into separate countries'.

This was a few years ago, my friends, <McCain impersonation and helped shape my thinking on how serious the problem was, is; along with a LOT of other indicators, that was a few years ago, folks. [That was around the time I first began formulating The Joseph Solution.]

Now if I can only get HER to elaborate I could come back in here with profound details that will make me look like a genius.

Don't think that is going to happen, at least the getting HER to elaborate part, the other aspect is sort of, well, EZ. :)

Edited by eggomaniac

Interesting thought....but would add how long did it take in democratic country like the UK to give Scotland to get its own parliment..??....hundreds of years

More correctly, how long did it take Westminster to give Scotland BACK it's own parliament? The Holyrood legislature was a sop to the pseudo-Nationalists to keep them on Labours side for the 1997 elections.

I reckon this 'solution' where the reigns of power are still strictly in Bangkok wouldn't wash with the north-easterners in the current climate. But it could quite easily become part of Abhisit's 'Blair-speak' if he somehow manages to hang on or, more likely, come back for a second round when he is older, wiser and the Republic of Thailand has finally sorted itself out.

And what part you would give to big white man ?

I suggest we take over the east side of Chonbury, Ocean Marine (former Sattahip) will be the capital.

Aussies and New Zealanders however will need special visa based on Thai visarules.

:)

Then we could go TO Pattaya for visa runs! Woohoo!!!!!

LOL... 'a bit like the Scottish parliament'. Now there's a &lt;deleted&gt; entity for you where the purse strings are still firmly held by London.

Yes, that's exactly my point - a fudged solution here is a good solution... it would give the Isaan people a feeling at least that they had some control. I'm not talking about partition into different nations, which as you suggest is often worse than doing nothing.

sorry to go off topic, but dont the scottish public recieve far more benefits than the rest of the british isles. i.e free dental and health care, which the rest of the country pays for.

I was wondering about this a while ago, but then realized that neither side would give up Bangkok. Like it or hate it, Bangkok is the economic powerhouse of Thailand and whichever side didn't get it would basically be another Laos.

Laos is getting more and more attractive compared to Thailand. Away from the red-yellow division and away from the Buddhist-Muslim division!

ehehehe!

Someone suggested that Isan should be part again of Laos. But I think neither the Lao or Isan people would be interested in that.

If Isaan had its own parliament with tax-raising powers

Since there are no taxes for those making less then 20,000 Baht/month and the vast majority in Isaan probably is in that range, suspect you will will find some significant objections to that. :)

Where does Thailand get its gas and oil to power Bangkok and the 'midlands'

up here.

further up.

begins with 'B'

Who is the big daddy on the block?

further up north and east.

Begins with 'C'

partition?

NEVER.

Edited by whiterussian

Where does Thailand get its gas and oil to power Bangkok and the 'midlands'

up here.

further up.

begins with 'B'

Who is the big daddy on the block?

further up north and east.

Begins with 'C'

partition?

NEVER.

Not to mention the islands in the south....Bangkok alone is nothing much.

Interesting thought....but would add how long did it take in democratic country like the UK to give Scotland to get its own parliment..??....hundreds of years

...and we're still stuck with a jerk as pm who has strange accent.

i think devolution like the Uk's would be a real solution. see how peace came to northern ireland. i think those giving examples of isreal/ pallestine, koreas, east west germany etc must not be famillier with the uk model and those wich they reference. Could have the regional governmants of issaan, lanna, siam and pattani. Allow local taxes to be raised to a degree separate from those in place already, like a land tax proportionate to all above 5 rai for example. Still one thailand, one nation and the monarchy, but regional local governing bodies; just another step inbetween the provinces and cental gov. Give the people sum feeling of power over thier cultural roots area.

if thailand split in to republics like i've seen sum red sites i've seen advocate esaan would soon degenerate in to something resemblong cambodia, siam would get rich like korea, lanna be ok maybe and pattani would continue to be a nightmare. Such a senario will never happen i dont think.

i doubt devolution would even be considered any time soon either because of the implied separrateness of it.