Silence Is Golden

CMX

With GM’s and Admin’s putting X’s all over the place, I find myself considering the situation of T.V. itself in relation to current legalities . I was reminded of a barrister (obsessing drunkard who was named by his parents, apparently, for a city in Oz), who said something like,

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far poorer cell that I avoid, than I have ever known.”

And meanwhile, there's nothing new under the sun. Another dude, a gray fellow, said,

To each his sufferings: all are men,

Condemned alike to groan;

The tender for another's pain,

The unfeeling for his own.

Edited by CMX

Khun CMX spake thus :

With GM’s and Admin’s putting X’s all over the place, I find myself considering the situation of T.V. itself in relation to current legalities

Sawasdee Khrup Khun CMX,

Many extra bonus points for using "Tale of Two Cities" as a sub-text, as well as quoting from it. When my human's mind was age 12 (54 years ago), that book took him on a mind-bending voyage, literally "spell-bound" him. He got sent to "study hall" (after-school detention punitive practice) by his math teacher for reading the book in her math class.

There's a wonderful ambiguity in your connections with the novel (set in the French Revolution and its "terror") and whatever's going on with ThaiVisa CM, and "current legalities." That, in our two minds, could be interpreted many ways.

Of course we'd like to know more about, vis-a-vis TV CM, what the analogy is with the paradoxical self-sacrifice of Carton in the novel: we respect, of course, your choice of silence or further explication, or further mystery and ambiguity.

Particularly: what are you implying when you "meta-quote" the novel as saying "it is a far, far poorer cell that I avoid," rather than than quoting the original text : "it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

Those of you who may not be familiar with Dickens' great novel : please note that CMX is punning on the name of the English barrister Sydney Carton in the novel, and the Australian city Sydney.

But, Khun CMX, are you aware of the possibility that Carton might have actually been French, but at some point taken to England and raised there ? At one point in the novel Carton talks to a road-repair man, and says he is French. When Carton goes to "spy" in the bar on what Therese Defarge, the grande dame of violent retribution, is doing, he pretends he can't understand French, but it's clear he does.

Some scholars are claiming that Carton and Darnay were actually cousins, sons of twin fathers: others scholars dispute that, and say that Dickens put in some ambiguous background content just to "set up" the plausability of Carton being able to "substitute himself" for Darnay.

We can't resist ending this message with a further quote from Chapter 45 of the novel, of which the words you quoted are the ending, and the ending of the novel, but this quote is at the beginning of Chapter 45:

"Along the Paris streets, the death-carts rumble, hollow and harsh. Six tumbrils carry the day's wine to La Guillotine. All the devouring and insatiate Monsters imagined since imagination could record itself, are fused in the one realisation, Guillotine. And yet there is not in France, with its rich variety of soil and climate, a blade, a leaf, a root, a sprig, a peppercorn, which will grow to maturity under conditions more certain than those that have produced this horror. Crush humanity out of shape once more, under similar hammers, and it will twist itself into the same tortured forms. Sow the same seed of rapacious license and oppression over again, and it will surely yield the same fruit according to its kind.

Six tumbrils roll along the streets. Change these back again to what they were, thou powerful enchanter, Time, and they shall be seen to be the carriages of absolute monarchs, the equipages of feudal nobles, the toilettes of flaring Jezebels, the churches that are not my father's house but dens of thieves, the huts of millions of starving peasants! No; the great magician who majestically works out the appointed order of the Creator, never reverses his transformations. "If thou be changed into this shape by the will of God," say the seers to the enchanted, in the wise Arabian stories, "then remain so! But, if thou wear this form through mere passing conjuration, then resume thy former aspect!" Changeless and hopeless, the tumbrils roll along."

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

What you said. Has the extraordinary twin values of hitting nails on the head while keeping the X-rating GM's away, one hopes. I have yet to be X rated by ThVi - perhaps a bad sign.

Most folks don't remember all of the first line, which may apply in some part, and what brought Tale to mind.

'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.'

Of course, one can trot this out for many situations, but ThVi contributors sitting at extreme poles made me think of it. Reference to the clink was what might happen to ThVi's owners.

Edited by CMX