Scottish Girl In Need Of Relocation Help!

eilsc

Hi All,

I have just accepted a job in Bangkok(wireless road) and will be relocating in 8 weeks time.

I need some advice on where to live....I am 28 and married but my husband will not be joining me in Thailand for 6 months. I need to find an apartment (at least one bed with pool and gym) in a safe area where i can meet other expats and get to the office using only public transport.

8 weeks is a bit tight on time and i plan to be out in a couple of weeks to have a look around for apartments, where should i be searching?

Help please!

Thanks

Eils

First off, accomodation finding forum here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Acc...g-Foru-f73.html

Mr roomfinder is supposed to be good as well.

I am afraid I can't help you as to recommendations for areas as I don't live in Bkk but there isn't a skytrain or mrt that goes to Wireless, so you will have to walk if you want to take those two. Its not far, but it is hot and the traffic on wireless can be horrendous (US embassy is on that road). Its also quite a high end area so don't expect to find anything nearby unless you have a really nice high paying expat job. I suspect your best bet will be to get something that is off one of the Skytrain stations, take the skytrain to work and then hoof it down to your job.

Regular condos with pools and/or gyms and maybe 2 bedrooms around that area are between 25-30k approx. It is a good area as it's near to Lumpini park, but it is a little soulless. BKK is a great place to find accommodation quickly and easily. Both the links sbk gave are good, as is the website bahtsold. There are pretty standard rates for rent across the city and availablity is never a problem. I'd recommend basing yourself in a hotel in the area for a couple of weeks and hitting the road. Good luck!

It depends where on Wirless Road you are BTS PleonJit is the closest next to the British Embassy, Sukumvit Road as far as Ekkamai/Thong Lor are decent expat areas as is the Riverside (stay near Saphan Dtaksin (Taksin Bridge)) for the BTS 35K should be plenty to get something decent with a pool and a Gym I pay no were near that, but I am in a part of town where tourists fear to tread, if you have that kind of budget just check into a decent hotel for a few days while you check out your short-list of places, as mentioned before Mr Roomfinder is a good site but Shanks pony once you're here is the best.

Chok Dee Na

Check out this place thenarathiwas.com you can get a stunning 5 star apartment fully serviced for less than 35k per month. I have a friend living at this condo and he is very happy with the service and quality of his accomodation. You could walk to pretty much anywhere on wireless road in 15-20 mins tops or get a taxi for around 50 baht - £1 or so. They also run shuttles every 15 mins to the chong nonsi BTS. Best option would prob be catch the shuttle to the BTS then walk straight up sathorn across the junction and up wireless road. Hope that helps.

Hi Elis,

Keep one thing in mind. When you rent a place, they want one or two months deposit and first months rent in advance. They almost never return the deposit. Take your time and look for a place that you will likley be staying at for a while. Aloha Dennis.

There is a Center Point service apartment on wireless road, 5 mins walk from BTS- great location, gym, pool, 1 br is about 55-60 $ per night (long term rate). I lived there for 6 months when i first arrived in bkk. For longer term when your husband arrives- i recommend sukhumvit area close to Emporium mall (next to bts phrong pong)- lots of expats living around there, handy shopping at emporium, nice park for jogging, 4 british pubs (Bulls Head is very farang woman friendly too).

I agree with the previous post regarding the Trendy comlex. The Trendy Condominiums are 50 meters off of Nana BTS. You can take the BTS in the morning and get off on Ploenchit then grab a cab up to your office. (I work on Wireless also)

Not sure the rules here but I happen to own a nice studio in the Trendy which might suit your needs for 6 months anyway. It is well below your budget.

I have had several expat renters and all really liked the unit, and yes I give deposits back.

My unit is advertised in the classifieds on this website - Trendy condo on Soi 13

Regardless, I would suggest the Trendy for convenience sake - it also has a great pool and gym.

Cheers