Where To Shop For Wine?

thetravelbee

Hi there.. :) (that is me not too happy)

I'll make it very short. I really enjoy wine with my dinner.. and I really miss it.. Also don't enjoy spending USD 20 for a bottle of plunk that's worth max 3 euros in France. Does anyone have any good suggestion on where to buy wine at 'reasonnable cost'? My feeling is that there ain't any but I had to ask before giving up ...

Thank you

@OP: How can you compare Thailand with France?

In France, can you get a nice meal for under 1 euro? definitely not... so it is a useless comparison...

For cheap wine, goto Vietnam and drink there... wines n alcohol r dirt cheap there...

In France, can you get a nice meal for under 1 euro? definitely not... so it is a useless comparison...

For cheap wine, goto Vietnam and drink there... wines n alcohol r dirt cheap there...

Please tell me where in Thailand I can get a nice meal for under 1 euro.

Definitely not.

It's hard to get a bottle of wine here for under 300 baht. A reasonable bottle will set you back about 600+ baht.

A fairly unreasonable bottle for 600 Baht in Samui. Paying double that for anything half decent usually but occasionally finding a cheap and good wine so when I go back to buy a few more bottles they are all gone!...Happens every time too!! :)

Edited by smokie36

I make my own for personal consumption and it works out exceedingly very well, iv even made mango wine, lycée and before the die hoards jump in i know it is not co-cha to do so.

takes about 1-3 months have drunk wine 1-2 years old and I can compare to a very good Bordeaux.

plastic water bottles 25 litre make great fermentation buckets.

I make my own for personal consumption and it works out exceedingly very well, iv even made mango wine, lycée and before the die hoards jump in i know it is not co-cha to do so.

takes about 1-3 months have drunk wine 1-2 years old and I can compare to a very good Bordeaux.

Is the taste sweet??

Is the taste sweet??

it is entirely up to you how dry or sweet you make it.

HYDROMETER MEASUREMENT

Is the taste sweet??

it is entirely up to you how dry or sweet you make it.

HYDROMETER MEASUREMENT

Can i come to taste it ? :)

Please tell me where in Thailand I can get a nice meal for under 1 euro.

Definitely not.

Depends what you like i can get a good kao pad or pad pi keng here for under a euro. If you are talking European food then no you cant get it under a euro.

Five litre box of Cantine Ronco (Italian wine, both red and white available) for 950 baht.

Works out to the equivalent of 142.5 baht per bottle.

Aadequate plonk. Decent quality. I buy it from my local shop which stocks quite a number of bottles, as well as western food.

you can get quite drinkable plonk in foodland for around the 500 to 600 baht mark........... they have got offers on all the time and sometimes the 365 baht specials are alright :)

Foodland?? OK, I never got into this one. Less than 400 baht sounds really good. I'll check this out. :D

Cheers, Thetravelbee

Five litre box of Cantine Ronco (Italian wine, both red and white available) for 950 baht.

Aadequate plonk. Decent quality. I buy it from my local shop which stocks quite a number of bottles, as well as western food.

Which shop is it? I would like to try this five ltr box.

:)

Edited by thetravelbee

Me 2

post-95869-1271142574.gif

As I live in Ban Phe, Rayong Province, I go into Petra's, a small shop on the main street across from the pier.

Anywhere else, I guess you'd just have to try to find the brand. As I mentioned, it's the five litre box with the plastic bag inside. I drink it all the time - not fabulous, but a pretty decent plonk. Also persuaded my friend to switch, too.

Also - 5 lt box of Mont Clair (South African) red or white is 950bt in Tesco, BigC, Carrefoure, Makro.

To be fair they are a bit on the rough side and even the red needs to be chilled to be drinkable. I'd say they are equivalent to Italian or French table wines in quality. OK after the first couple of glasses.

Edited by chickenslegs

As I live in Ban Phe, Rayong Province, I go into Petra's, a small shop on the main street across from the pier.

Anywhere else, I guess you'd just have to try to find the brand. As I mentioned, it's the five litre box with the plastic bag inside. I drink it all the time - not fabulous, but a pretty decent plonk. Also persuaded my friend to switch, too.

Yeah, of course! I mean beer is fine but after a while... not so.. Anyway thanks a lot ; I am sure I will found it around BKK too. Take care..

Also - 5 lt box of Mont Clair (South African) red or white is 950bt in Tesco, BigC, Carrefoure, Makro.

To be fair they are a bit on the rough side and even the red needs to be chilled to be drinkable. I'd say they are equivalent to Italian or French table wines in quality. OK after the first couple of glasses.

Yep I know this one.. The Mont Clair is actually not too bad, both red and white. I guess it will always be the fall back if I can find anything better.. Sill I will try the Cantine Ronco (if I can find it) as suggested by JusMe, just for a little variety. Thank you, Thetravelbee

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried the 5 liter box of Mont Clair red. Not bad and reasonably priced at B950 box at Tescos. According the the info prinetd on one side of the box, 5 liters yields 6.5 bottles, so its works out to B146 per bottle. I felt ambitious, I removed the bladded and after draining it appears that no air remained inside. The wine was drinkable over the 12 or so days after the first pour.

I also plan on trying the Cantine Ronco as well

Yeah, I know, its a slow day, 555 :)

post-2362-1272011153_thumb.jpg

post-2362-1272011181_thumb.jpg

post-2362-1272011197_thumb.jpg

post-2362-1272011217_thumb.jpg

Well I tried the 5 liter box of Mont Clair red. Not bad and reasonably priced at B950 box at Tescos. According the the info prinetd on one side of the box, 5 liters yields 6.5 bottles, so its works out to B146 per bottle. I felt ambitious, I removed the bladded and after draining it appears that no air remained inside. The wine was drinkable over the 12 or so days after the first pour.

Mont Clair is terrific value at the equivalent of under 3GBP a bottle (even considering that it's just table quality) and it's available everywhere.

I'm waiting for someone to post the name of a supermarket where we can buy Cantine Ronco, so that I can compare the two.

If your looking for a good selection of wine, not cheap mind, try the market in the basement of siam paragon which is currently closed by reds. Not sure how helpful this is, but when it opens again there's a really big selection covering the whole price range from 800 baht up to bottles for 10000 baht

Please note after you've drunk the 6.5 bottles and your feeling a bit sleepy, you can blow into the bag to inflate it and use as pillow so you don't need to take the long walk to bed. :D

Mont Clair is terrific value at the equivalent of under 3GBP a bottle (even considering that it's just table quality) and it's available everywhere.

I'm waiting for someone to post the name of a supermarket where we can buy Cantine Ronco, so that I can compare the two.

Mont Clair is vile. And it's weak. But keep looking among those box wines at shops with a larger variety than Tesco and you'll probably find something drinkable.