Wilding In The Streets

Danger

Thousands of people are whooping it up Songkran Issan style under the Gucci and Versace banners at Central World. As unimaginable an image here in the LOS a couple of months ago as an African American in the White House was a couple of years ago.

(Well, not full on, its still mostly political rants, but there is a lot of water and powder floating around also!)

I've been thinking the last couple of days about how a hundred or more soldiers stood with their backs to the fighting directly at the mouth of Khao San Road facing a few hundred tourists to make sure no tourists came too close. Just kids really, they really aren't much older than the backpackers and the soldiers stood bravely as guns and explosions filled the air behind them. I couldn't see it, but I'm guessing that behind them there was a row of soldiers facing the fighting and terrified by their position but ordered to make sure nobody entered Khao San Road. Pretty good work!

I've also been impressed that with no police and no soldiers around there has been no significant looting or rioting against property by the redshirts.

Edited by Danger