Bold 9700 No True 3g?

penta

just got a tmobile 9700 from mbk, but i cant seem to be able to get 3g to work, while it works fine on my iphone i just get the edge icon on the bb.

does it actually not support the 3g band in bkk or am i doing something wrong?

Are you using it on TrueMove or DTAC? If so your mistake was buying a T-Mobile branded unit and not an AT&T branded unit. There are two hardware versions of the 9700 manufactured. The T-Mobile version supports 3G bands 1,4,8 and the AT&T version supports 3G bands 1,2,5,7. Right now TrueMove and DTAC are using the 850Mhz band for 3G, which requires the AT&T version. The T-Mobile version will only get 3G with AIS on the 900Mhz band. Once the companies all move to 2100Mhz for 3G both versions will work on all carriers here (3g on 2100Mhz is Band 1 - the only band the two hardware versions have in common). To check your 3G bands you go to Options, About and about 3 or 4 lines down it will show what 3G bands your phone supports. Even on the no-logo, non-branded ones you have to check the 3G bands before buying, as I have seen them with both hardware versions being sold at MBK.