Fake Plates On Big Bike...?

ok guys, you might flame me for asking this but im going to ask anyways.

i have a vfr400, without plates. or registration. i do have all the import papers and bill of sale.

i got problems with the police in chiang mai one night when i was riding it. they stopped me and because i didnt have any plates on it or any proof of ownership they took my bike and i had to come back and pay a fine to get it back.

so, im wondering.... if i baught a cheap scooter, took the plate of it, and put it onto my vfr...would i get into big trouble with the cops if i get caught?

have any of you guys done this before? is it a really bad idea? can i get in seirous trouble doing this?

thanks

Yeah it's a really bad idea.

Running no plate. If you get in a crash & are unable to run away you are toast.

If you locate a book & plate from a written off CBR150 most likely it (your bike) won't pass inspection.

Leave the crazy stuff to the locals. They can skate on it. Either sell the bike or register it.

Agree with Puff,

You're already riding the bike illegally and if you throw a fake plate on it and get caught you'll be in even more trouble.

(That said I know a few people who do just that and have so far gotten away with it.)

Still, it's not something I'd recommend.

Guessing it will be impossible to register an old VFR400- no doubt the papers are long gone and besides it would never pass inspection.

My advice: Cut your losses, sell it and get a legal bike.

Ride On!

Tony

mygixxer100px.jpg

thanks for the replies... i guess it really is a bad idea.

but tony- how come it would be impossible to register the bike? i have the import papers. but regarding inspection, how come it wouldnt pass?

i mean, the bike it self is in great condition, and aren't there many other vfr400's that are registered in thailand?

but tony- how come it would be impossible to register the bike? i have the import papers. but regarding inspection, how come it wouldnt pass?

i mean, the bike it self is in great condition, and aren't there many other vfr400's that are registered in thailand?

But are they registered as vfr's or something else. long ago it was fairly easy to pay a bribe and get the reg from another bike changed to your bike eg the details in the book changed. but now not possible. some shops will 'ring' your bike and provide a 'grey' book for 15,000 - 40,000b. it works for now but who knows in the future. your frame and engine number HAVE to match the book. generally the frame number is changed to match the book then the book shows an engine change. I've seen it done.

When I first came to CM and knew Nothing, I bought a 650 Honda Bros and asked the dealer to get me a 'Legal' plate & Book.

B28,000 was what I paid him for Book and plate.

Some years later a Thai friend took bike down Nong Hoy to do yearly registration and big trouble.

I was told that if I had gone down as I had in previous years I would have been in Nick for frame registration Number had been changed.

I went round original dealer and he waffled, took bike down and came back with the new yearly tax disk.

I'll do same for you next year for B2,000.

I fummed but eventually swore I would never do business with him again.

I aquired a legal 650 with proper plates and book.

I am told it's B80,000 for Legal plate and Green book.

john

Cheers Dan,

Well, as you can see in my post I made the INCORRECT assumption that you didn't have the import papers. That would have been a deal breaker. As you DO have the papers that's one big obstacle out of the way. BUT the bike still has to pass inspection before a Green Book can be issued.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that ALL bikes that are being submitted for registration in Thailand now must pass the Thai emissions test, regardless of how old they are. My understanding, and again, I could be wrong about this, is that there is no "grandfather" clause like we have in most other countries where an older vehicle is subject only to the rules that were in effect at the time of production and is exempt for later more stringent rules. (Does that make any sense?)

Bottom line, a VFR400 will never pass the current Thai emissions test. There are still some provinces (Prachinburi is a popular one) where you can (could?) purchase a pass though, so that may be something to consider.

If the import papers are in order and the bike can pass inspection (or you can buy a pass) then you may be able to register your VFR400.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The VFR400, despite it's age remains a WICKED bike. Hope you can get yours sorted as it's definitely worth keeping. But if you can't then it would be a shame to lose it to the customs police the next time they do a crack down.

Ride On!

Tony

Cheers Dan,

Well, as you can see in my post I made the INCORRECT assumption that you didn't have the import papers. That would have been a deal breaker. As you DO have the papers that's one big obstacle out of the way. BUT the bike still has to pass inspection before a Green Book can be issued.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that ALL bikes that are being submitted for registration in Thailand now must pass the Thai emissions test, regardless of how old they are. My understanding, and again, I could be wrong about this, is that there is no "grandfather" clause like we have in most other countries where an older vehicle is subject only to the rules that were in effect at the time of production and is exempt for later more stringent rules. (Does that make any sense?)

Bottom line, a VFR400 will never pass the current Thai emissions test. There are still some provinces (Prachinburi is a popular one) where you can (could?) purchase a pass though, so that may be something to consider.

If the import papers are in order and the bike can pass inspection (or you can buy a pass) then you may be able to register your VFR400.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The VFR400, despite it's age remains a WICKED bike. Hope you can get yours sorted as it's definitely worth keeping. But if you can't then it would be a shame to lose it to the customs police the next time they do a crack down.

Ride On!

Tony

as i understand, if its imported as parts, and then registered as a thai bike (still Honda) made from parts, its considered a newish bike and must pass present emissiontests. Most stringent emisionrequirements in the wolrd. 80 k is going price for this test and reg, if anyone think they can manage this bike

Recycled books, IOW Honda wave/CBR150 or whatever, with replacing framenumber on your 400 is not to be reckomended even if it can be done for 20-30k baht with 400cc in the book. More and more frequent crackdowns, and major problems when need inspected or transfered

fake plate, from another bike or non existing number/reg can give you jailtime

Edited by katabeachbum

Just an idea, you might be able to lean out the fuel to a dangerous level, allowing the bike to run for the test and pass (it would overheat and burn out the valves or pistons if used for too long) or borrow a modern engine and then switch back afterwards.

A while back the Chiang Mai plod were fining riders 20k if caught on unregistered bikes!

Each year as I renewed the plate on my CB400 they never check emissions.

Car yes, motorcycle no.

He could register the VFR for 80,000 baht as stated above.

Not worth it IMHO.

puff, the emission tests are conducted solely in BKK. It is not the same as the little shops right around the corner from the Land Transportation Dept. and elsewhere. Right now the testing facility in BKK won't even look at the bike if it doesn't have a fuel injected engine. Even then it probably won't pass. Bikes that have had their engine and frame numbers changed to match a book will get caught when the bike is sold. All the Land Transportation Dept's have a loooong list of bike serial numbers and the models they apply to and will compare your doctored number to the list. Paying the tax every year isn't a problem but don't plan on ever selling it.

Each year as I renewed the plate on my CB400 they never check emissions.

Car yes, motorcycle no.

He could register the VFR for 80,000 baht as stated above.

Not worth it IMHO.

You're correct that Thailand does not test emissions (yet) for annual renewal for motorcycles, but the OP is looking to REGISTER the bike for the first time and get a Green Book issued so it most definitely WILL require inspection.