Thailand: Preparation For Nuclear Power Plant Stepped Up

webfact

And there was I thinking about going back to Thailand, I guess I give this a miss

why, The ladies may grow 3 breasts although Im worried about what may happen if the plant is in isarn....

...much more sick buffalos..... :)

More time wit sick bruter :D

And who exactly will be responsible for security at this new nuclear power station? From what I've seen here, any mob/group can take over any building/area of their choice.

Good point. Mob rule is a factor in Thailand. A mob took over its largest airport just by showing up. They didn't even lock the doors as the mob was approaching. A mob took over the guarded hotel where the ASEAN leaders were about to meet. Security didn't raise a finger. A mob took over Thaicom even though armed security forces were standing guard. Half the soldiers walked off in to the rice field, the other half were greeted like old buddies by the mob that walked in with scant resistance. All that happened within the past 1.5 years. Also, it's likely at least one of the proposed nuclear plants will be located within commuting distance of Thailand's southernmost provinces, and the southern insurgents are tougher (and have bigger gripes) than either the Reds or Yellows. What a plum target. A big poorly guarded nuclear facility right in their back yard.

And who will insure the surrounding areas for worse case scenarios? The Thai government? The same government which won't lift a finger to compensate Elite Card purchasers for broken promises made in their name? The same gov't which welched on a contract with Austria? If a worse case scenario happens, it could also affect any one of several neighboring countries. Any Thai reactor will be on the coast, and just in regard to one of those countries; Burmese villages are within dozens of Km of about half of Thailand's sea coast.

<snip>

It's in Nakhon Nayok

How far away can I get from Nakhon Nayok, and still be in Thailand?

YOU can get physically distant, but there are still many Thais that will be near the proposed power plants. Malaysians, Cambodians, and Burmese and farang won't be far away either. My daughter taught me a nursery school song when she was 5 years old: 'Red, Yellow, Black and White, they are precious in his sight......"

Message to EGAT: Please get off being seized by the idea of having to have nuclear power plants. It's not too late to plan for large arrays of concentrated solar to generate power. You won't lose any face by adjusting your plans. Research what's happening at the vanguard of large scale solar . It's cheaper, cleaner, and safer than nuclear, and future generations of Thais will appreciate it. Nuclear is not the smart choice for Thailand''s power needs. Building nuclear power plants will bring big problems later on.

Thailand is not stable enough to have nuclear plants,the security forces can't even control the streets at the moment!...

If or when they are built its going to be a big target for political protesters with them knowing the whole world will listen if they were to take over a plant and i hope there will be very tight and strong security in place!

I don't under stand why they can't build several large solar plants...maybe cheaper and surely safer...its not like they don't have sunshine/light

Thailand is not stable enough to have nuclear plants,the security forces can't even control the streets at the moment!...

If or when they are built its going to be a big target for political protesters with them knowing the whole world will listen if they were to take over a plant and i hope there will be very tight and strong security in place!

I don't under stand why they can't build several large solar plants...maybe cheaper and surely safer...its not like they don't have sunshine/light

Had to chuckle at this post and many others. airport sit ins and mass protests cannot be compared to a take over of a nuclear plant. Can you be more specific on how a plant would be taken over? in what way? the containment buildings that shelter nuclear reactors are able to withstand severe events including hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes. If a bunch of up country hillbillies do achieve the unimaginable you can bet your life they will be deposed of within minutes by the army/commando units.

A nuclear reactor cannot explode like a fission bomb no matter what you do. A take over would be considered an act of terrorism. An airport sit in whilst peaceful is NOT the same thing

So lets get back to the real issue, is nuclear energy the right choice for Thailand. Recently conducted surveys now show public opinion world wide are in favour it. France derives over 75% of its electricity from nuclear energy safely and is the biggest exporter of electricity in uerope.

Obama has approved 8 billion $ towards nuclear development.

Recent survey

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NP-US_pu...gh-0104104.html

US public support for nuclear at record high

01 April 2010

Public support for nuclear energy in the USA has reached a record high, with 74% of people saying they are in favour of nuclear energy, according to the results of a new poll.

Nuclear energy is here to stay. I cant see in what way it would be bad for Thailand considering its high population and energy consumption

<snip>

It's in Nakhon Nayok

How far away can I get from Nakhon Nayok, and still be in Thailand?

YOU can get physically distant, but there are still many Thais that will be near the proposed power plants. Malaysians, Cambodians, and Burmese and farang won't be far away either. My daughter taught me a nursery school song when she was 5 years old: 'Red, Yellow, Black and White, they are precious in his sight......"

<snip>

What can I say? I'm not Jesus.