How Long Are The Banks Closed For Songkran Holiday?

The following is the official government list of public and bank holidays in Thailand for 2010. Please note that where the actual date of the holiday falls on a weekend a Substitute Day has been granted on the Monday as a day’s holiday.

January

January 1 ( Friday) - New Year’s Day

March

March 1 (Monday) - Makha Bucha Day (Substitute Day)

April

April 6 (Tuesday) - Chakri Day

*April 13-15 (Tuesday-Thursday) - Songkran Festival

*Update:

Friday April 16 will be an additional day’s holiday

May

May 3 (Monday) - National Labour Day (Substitute Day)

May 5 (Wednesday) - Coronation Day

May 28 (Friday) - Visakha Bucha Day

July

July 1 (Thursday) - Banks’ Mid Year Day (some banks may close but not a public holiday)

July 26 (Monday) - Asahna Bucha Day

August

*August 12 (Thursday) - H.M. Queen’s Birthday

*Update:

Friday August 13 will be an additional day’s holiday

October

October 25 (Monday) - Chulalongkorn Day (Rama V Day) (Substitute Day)

December

December 6 (Monday) - H.M. King’s Birthday (Substitute Day)

December 10 (Friday) - Constitution Day

December 31 (Friday) - New Year’s Eve

Bank transfers are processed by the relevant head office of each bank, or in MANY cases pass Bangkok Bank first..

Your branch being open doesnt count, as some have been every day over Songkran..

(malls etc)

They ,banks, are open on Friday...but doubt many people will be working...Its Songkran you know (555!!!)

Friday is a Government holiday, not a bank holiday..

Just checked now, not cleared yet, will have a look tomorrow.

Same problem here. I transferred funds from my account in USA on the 7th of April and nothing yet. Wow! But my USA bank confirms transfer to Bangkok on April 9th.

Do you have a K Bank account (Kasikorn ?

If not then I suggest you open one.

US$ transfers from any where in the world arrive within 3-4 working hours -sometimes less, (ie: same day if you get timing right)

Still waiting as well see here Nothing this morning. What an idiotic way to run a country and banking system in the 21st century!

ALL countries have public holidays when the banks are closed, try getting money from your home bank on Christmas Day, you can do it in Thailand.

In UK some are actually called Bank Holiday Monday.

ALL countries have public holidays when the banks are closed, try getting money from your home bank on Christmas Day, you can do it in Thailand.

What sort of idiotic statement is that. Commerce DOES NOT stop in the UK or most of the western world on a bank holiday or after hours! The banks may be physically closed but the money still goes around. You ever tried an ATM on Xmas Day? Your trying to tell me you did not get your money! Bullshlt!

Still waiting as well see here Nothing this morning. What an idiotic way to run a country and banking system in the 21st century!

--------------------------------

Yeah, rather like the Christmas and New Year's week in Europe and the U.S.

Actually your money has been transferred, but no one has simply entered the data into the computers, because the ones that do enter it aren't working. There was something I saw in the airlines/travel forum about an airline office that hadn't updated their flight database for a week or so. When they were asked why, the response was. "Well, the person who does that isn't working during Songkhran".

And you're right, Bangkok Bank, is used to transfer funds for a lot of other banks in Thailand. They just aren't working in the head bank because of Songkhran.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Yeah, rather like the Christmas and New Year's week in Europe and the U.S.

Actually your money has been transferred, but no one has simply entered the data into the computers, because the ones that do enter it aren't working. There was something I saw in the airlines/travel forum about an airline office that hadn't updated their flight database for a week or so. When they were asked why, the response was. "Well, the person who does that isn't working during Songkhran".

And you're right, Bangkok Bank, is used to transfer funds for a lot of other banks in Thailand. They just aren't working in the head bank because of Songkhran.

Exactly

What sort of idiotic statement is that. Commerce DOES NOT stop in the UK or most of the western world on a bank holiday or after hours! The banks may be physically closed but the money still goes around. You ever tried an ATM on Xmas Day? Your trying to tell me you did not get your money! Bullshlt!

Is the OP having problems getting money from an ATM because it's closed during Songkran?

Thought not. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Just checked now, not cleared yet, will have a look tomorrow.

Same problem here. I transferred funds from my account in USA on the 7th of April and nothing yet. Wow! But my USA bank confirms transfer to Bangkok on April 9th.

Do you have a K Bank account (Kasikorn ?If not then I suggest you open one.US$ transfers from any where in the world arrive within 3-4 working hours -sometimes less, (ie: same day if you get timing right)

Good Advice. I opened an account at KKorn several years ago because Bkk Bank failed repeatedly over the years to credit my account in a timely fashion. My TT (tele transfers) to KKorn are credited normally within hours from N America, and at the latest the next working day.

Bkk Bank took a week and often two, and then only after I inquired: I suspect someone there places intl transfers into their own acct for a week or more and despite the low interest rates, they'd reap a lot of interest on the millions transferred from offshore ( suspicion only).

K Bank is a definite recommendation!