Thai Flight Faces Technical Problem

george

THAI flight faces technical problem

BANGKOK: -- A Thai Airways Internationals (THAI) flight encountered a technical problem in Europe last night, but all passengers and crew were reportedly safe.

The THAI flight on the Zurich-Bangkok route faced the technical problem when it was flying over the southwest of Germany, at 38,000 fleet above the sea level, according to an aviation control centre in Zurich, Switzerland.

The plane had to release 45 tonnes of fuel from the air to ease its weight, said the control centre.

It then flew back to the Zurich International Airport safely

All the crew and passengers on board were also safe.

Aviation officials said that the massive fuel released from the aircraft would not affect people and environment in the area.

The flight number of the plane was not available.

--TNA 2005-06-02

.....Aviation officials said that the massive fuel released from the aircraft would not affect people and environment in the area.
What a bunch of #######. 17,000+ gallons of jet fuel dumped ANYWHERE, is a hazard for every living thing in the vicinity.

:o

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - A Bangkok-bound Thai Airways jet made an emergency landing at a Swiss airport because of a ventilation system problem, the airline said Thursday, its third such incident in two weeks......
Edited by waldwolf

45 tonnes = 99,208 pounds. Jet fuel (JET A1 or Avtur) has an SG of approximately 0.8 so one gallon weighs around 8 pounds. So 101,250 divided by 8 = 12,400 gallons approximately. still a lot to jettison into the atmosphere regardless of where the plane is but, bear in mind that no airline captain wants to literally throw away that much expensive fuel at a cost to the airline, never mind the environment. Clearly the captain decided that it was neccessary in order to control the plane and one hopes that passenger and crew safety was his first thought.

The 'emergency' may have been a faulty fuel transfer system which prevented fuel transfer between wing tanks to maintain the aircrfaft trim or the loss of one or more engines which meant that the plane was too heavy for remaining engine power.

These are not incidents exclusive to Thai inter. Other airlines have similar problems and will continue to do so as long as planes are not 100% reliable. When you car engine conks out on the freeway you can stop, get out and kick the ###### thing. When an aircraft engines(s) flame out in the air you better start praying.

Put your trust in the airline captain who is trained for emergencies. Either that or go by train!

.....Aviation officials said that the massive fuel released from the aircraft would not affect people and environment in the area.

What a bunch of #######. 17,000+ gallons of jet fuel dumped ANYWHERE, is a hazard for every living thing in the vicinity.

:o

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - A Bangkok-bound Thai Airways jet made an emergency landing at a Swiss airport because of a ventilation system problem, the airline said Thursday, its third such incident in two weeks......

It's all to do with maximum landing weight.

That early in the flight attempting a landing without dumping fuel would likely have caused a landing gear collapse with the attendant skid, roll, crash, burn and DEATH.

Sorry, but I rate all human life above any environmental issues. I suspect that all the passengers would agree.

Update:

Faulty ventilation system forces THAI plane to make emergency landing

BANGKOK: -- Thai International Airways aircraft had to make an emergency landing in Zurich by dumping fuel in mid-air over Germany after its ventilation system broke down Thursday, Wasin Kittikul, Thai Airways International's (THAI) deputy director said.

The aircraft had been fixed and had departed for Bangkok, Wasin added.

This is the third technical problem incident faced by THAI in the past two weeks.

On Monday, a Thai Airways flight from Beijing to Bangkok was forced to return to the Beijing due to engine problem.

On May 24, a Thai Airways Boeing 747-400 bound for Munich from Bangkok made an emergency landing in Calcutta, India, after pilots reported a crack in a window. Thai Airways has asked the Seattle-based Boeing firm to help determine what caused the crack, she said.

--The Nation 2005-06-02

It's all to do with maximum landing weight.

That early in the flight attempting a landing without dumping fuel would likely have caused a landing gear collapse with the attendant skid, roll, crash, burn and DEATH.

Sorry, but I rate all human life above any environmental issues. I suspect that all  the passengers would agree.

You are the only one amonst the "monday morning quarterbacks" who pegged it right. Yes, there is a max landing weight on most and all of heavy arcraft. Again, it was not anemergency landing, just a precautionary landing which whatever went amiss, seemed the prudent thing to do. Sure the Germans are pissed over the dumping above the Vaterland, but from 30 some thousand feet the stuff most likely evaporated before it ever hit the ground.

When you car engine conks out on the freeway you can stop, get out and kick the ###### thing. When an aircraft engines(s) flame out in the air you better start praying.

Put your trust in the airline captain who is trained for emergencies.

gallery_624_101_12638.jpg

that state in South-Western Germany is my home state actually, but nobody needs to be worried there, because: any kerosene/Fuel released from an altitude more than 2000 Meters will be evaporated before reaching the ground. So there is no harm to the environment at all.... any air traffic expert will tell you this

thats one thing...the other thing is: its really SCARY to hear about so many incidents at THAI AIR within a short period.....but actually its no surprise to me.... its the MAY BPEN RAI - style to do technical checks probably.....

that state in South-Western Germany is my home state actually, but nobody needs to be worried there, because: any kerosene/Fuel released from an altitude more than 2000 Meters will be  evaporated  before reaching the ground. So there is no harm to the environment at all.... any air traffic expert will tell you this

That is nice to hear :D

I always wondered if people down on the ground get the shower of jet fuel.

Or will the evaporated fuel eventually reach the ground as rain? :o

A friend of mine experienced the same on JAL flight from Europe.

Heard it took almost an hour to drain the fuel and passengers were very uneasy while it was taking place, some of them in the state of panic seeing fuel jettisoned from the tip of the wing, my friend told me.

How does pilot know how much fuel should be left to fly back to the airport they took off from? Is it possible that they might jettison more fuel than it is necessary and end up not having enough fuel to fly back to the nearest airport if some miscalculation took place? Or is there a fail-safe mechanism to this system?

that state in South-Western Germany is my home state actually, but nobody needs to be worried there, because: any kerosene/Fuel released from an altitude more than 2000 Meters will be  evaporated  before reaching the ground. So there is no harm to the environment at all.... any air traffic expert will tell you this

That is nice to hear :D

I always wondered if people down on the ground get the shower of jet fuel.

Or will the evaporated fuel eventually reach the ground as rain? :D

A friend of mine experienced the same on JAL flight from Europe.

Heard it took almost an hour to drain the fuel and passengers were very uneasy while it was taking place, some of them in the state of panic seeing fuel jettisoned from the tip of the wing, my friend told me.

How does pilot know how much fuel should be left to fly back to the airport they took off from? Is it possible that they might jettison more fuel than it is necessary and end up not having enough fuel to fly back to the nearest airport if some miscalculation took place? Or is there a fail-safe mechanism to this system?

Hmm. That's why we have humans and not robots in charge.

The jetissoned fuel doesn't exit the aircraft like out of a firehose. 40 tons of that stuff takes quite a while. It is a fine spray which, during the day is somewhat disconcerting to the passengers looking at the mist exiting the wing. A pilot knows, (at least he is supposed to know) exactly how much fuel he has on board. Pilots are the only ones (at least in the USA) who have to prove to the FAA every six months that they are still competent to command an aircraft. Check rides, re-current training which takes 2 or more weeks) Unlike a doctor or lawyer. Pass the medical examn (or board examn for attorneys) you are now free to hang out your shingle, competent or not for as long as you live. Nobody ever checks up, if you are up to date. :o

Don't worry, we pilots aren't suicidal either. We expect to return to our families in one piece after the flight just like the folks in back. :D

Greeting the ol' Capt'n. (happy not to have to put up with all that crap any more) :D

Don't worry, we pilots aren't suicidal either. We expect to return to our families in one piece after the flight  just like the folks in  back. :D

But didn't US NTSB find the co-pilot of the Egypt air responsible for the suicide dive of Airbus (or B767?) down into the Atlantic ocean couple of years ago? And a schizophrenic JAL captain who brought down DC-8 on its approach to Haneda airport by activating the thrust reverser while the plane is still in the air? :D

So how much fuel should be jettisoned will be determined by pilots with calculator in their hands? And therefore leaving a room for error that they might miscalculate it, I suppose. :o

And how does pilot stop the jettison? Manually or does it shut automatically when the fuel gauge indicator lowers to preset level?

Edited by Nordlys

Don't worry, we pilots aren't suicidal either. We expect to return to our families in one piece after the flight  just like the folks in  back. :D

yes the pilots are up the pointy end that usually hits the ground first... :o ...but in charge of the aircraft?? ..if I was in charge of the aircraft I would have a bit more space and comfortable seating... :D:D

yes the pilots are up the pointy end that usually hits the ground first... :o ...but in charge of the aircraft?? ..if I was in charge of the aircraft I would have a bit more space and comfortable seating... :D:D

Then I suggest you buy a first class ticket from the folks in charge of the airline, because the cockpit is usually very comfortable :D

THAI’s air data control system acted up in Zurich

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Plc yesterday provided clarification on an incident involving a flight that was forced to dump fuel and return to the airport in Switzerland on Wednesday.

Flight TG971, carrying 169 passengers, had departed Zurich for Bangkok, but while in flight the chief pilot found the central air data control system was malfunctioning. The system measures air pressure and height during the flight.

The malfunction required the aircraft to return to Zurich airport for repairs. To land safely it was necessary to dump a quantity of jet fuel (reportedly 45 tonnes), because the aircraft was too heavy to land.

Once back on terra firma, the CADC system was repaired and the aircraft departed at 8.40pm (local time) on June 1, and arrived in Bangkok at 12.42pm Thursday.

The airline also clarified another incident involving a Boeing 777-300 aircraft on May 29. Flight TG615 departed Beijing airport at 5.25pm (local time) and was scheduled to arrive in Bangkok at 9.10pm

Thirty minutes into the flight, the chief pilot observed oil-pressure problems and returned to Beijing airport.

There were 218 passengers and 22 crew on board who were accommodated overnight at a hotel. On May 30, THAI arranged for the passengers to travel to Bangkok on flight TG675, departing Beijing at 9.05am (local time) with and arriving in Bangkok at 12.50 (local time).

An inspection of the aircraft by company technicians confirmed that the oil pressure was low.

THAI shipped new equipment from Bangkok and fitted it to the aircraft. After technicians carried out a systems check, the aircraft was cleared to return to Bangkok on May 30 at 12.05am.

The company is conducting further investigations in cooperation with Rolls Royce to ascertain the cause of the malfunction.

The airline also referred to a case concerning the family of Flight Lieutenant Pinit Vetchsilp, a former pilot. His relatives have filed a lawsuit against THAI concerning the crash of flight TG261 in Surat Thani on December 11, 1998, based on information that the crash was due to company error over aircraft maintenance.

In an initial statement, the airline said it has not received a subpoena, a summons, or a copy of the lawsuit, contrary to news reports.

Whenever the documents are received, the company’s legal department will consider the details of the lawsuit and respond accordingly, THAI said.

--The Nation 2005-06-04

THAI’s air data control system acted up in Zurich

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Plc yesterday provided clarification on an incident involving a flight that was forced to dump fuel and return to the airport in Switzerland on Wednesday.

Flight TG971, carrying 169 passengers, had departed Zurich for Bangkok, but while in flight the chief pilot found the central air data control system was malfunctioning. The system measures air pressure and height during the flight.

The malfunction required the aircraft to return to Zurich airport for repairs. To land safely it was necessary to dump a quantity of jet fuel (reportedly 45 tonnes), because the aircraft was too heavy to land.

Once back on terra firma, the CADC system was repaired and the aircraft departed at 8.40pm (local time) on June 1, and arrived in Bangkok at 12.42pm Thursday.

The airline also clarified another incident involving a Boeing 777-300 aircraft on May 29. Flight TG615 departed Beijing airport at 5.25pm (local time) and was scheduled to arrive in Bangkok at 9.10pm

Thirty minutes into the flight, the chief pilot observed oil-pressure problems and returned to Beijing airport.

There were 218 passengers and 22 crew on board who were accommodated overnight at a hotel. On May 30, THAI arranged for the passengers to travel to Bangkok on flight TG675, departing Beijing at 9.05am (local time) with and arriving in Bangkok at 12.50 (local time).

An inspection of the aircraft by company technicians confirmed that the oil pressure was low.

THAI shipped new equipment from Bangkok and fitted it to the aircraft. After technicians carried out a systems check, the aircraft was cleared to return to Bangkok on May 30 at 12.05am.

The company is conducting further investigations in cooperation with Rolls Royce to ascertain the cause of the malfunction.

The airline also referred to a case concerning the family of Flight Lieutenant Pinit Vetchsilp, a former pilot. His relatives have filed a lawsuit against THAI concerning the crash of flight TG261 in Surat Thani on December 11, 1998, based on information that the crash was due to company error over aircraft maintenance.

In an initial statement, the airline said it has not received a subpoena, a summons, or a copy of the lawsuit, contrary to news reports.

Whenever the documents are received, the company’s legal department will consider the details of the lawsuit and respond accordingly, THAI said.

--The Nation 2005-06-04

Yes there are times when it gets interesting up thereeba00487802f00000036.jpg