Tips Restaurant Gone?

BugJackBaron

It would seem that one of the original Pattaya beach restaurants is gone.

Clean food at reasonable prices/.

Area probably bought up by greedy SOB developers.

Hopefully Baywatch won't go under too.

Pattaya continues to get less interesting as SOB developers buy it up.

No, it's not gone. Several years ago, it moved to the corner of 3rd Road and Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya Road). Diagonally across from the TOT office.

The restaurant is still very clean and has good food at very reasonable prices. Last time I was there, Khun Tip was still working there. i believe she still advertises it as being 'the first restaurant in Pattaya, serving Western Style Food'. The only problem, is trying to find a parking spot.

You're right: "Area probably bought up by greedy SOB developers". The old location (near Royal Garden) now has the 'new' Walking Street mall.

No, it's not gone. Several years ago, it moved to the corner of 3rd Road and Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya Road). Diagonally across from the TOT office.

The restaurant is still very clean and has good food at very reasonable prices. Last time I was there, Khun Tip was still working there. i believe she still advertises it as being 'the first restaurant in Pattaya, serving Western Style Food'. The only problem, is trying to find a parking spot.

You're right: "Area probably bought up by greedy SOB developers". The old location (near Royal Garden) now has the 'new' Walking Street mall.

I think the OP is reffering to a different one to the one you mentioned

Tips Restaurant(without the H) is between Soi 13/4 and Pattaya Tai, directly on Beach Road. Or he could mean Thip FASHION, which is next but one to the Baywatch Restaurant, near to Soi 13/3. Again, on Beach Road

Gets confusing, doesnt it? :)

Penkoprod

No, this was the restaurant between Baywatch and walking street and it was there as recently as

a couple of months ago. Now just rubble.

For the record Thips Sandwich on Beach Road was one of the first serving half decent furreners food way back in.... well, way back anyway.

After the relocation to Klang/Sai Sahm was done, only the name stayed at the Beach Road locale; but it was not associated in any way with Thip... and the food was <deleted> so no great loss really.

THIS is what i think the OP is referring to.

I was in there as late as last year. Are people saying its now "no longer there"?

(There IS a "Thips Fashion" not as far towards Walking Street as the above, but i think that place sold ......fashion, as the name suggests HERE)

Penkoprod

I was in there as late as last year. Are people saying its now "no longer there"?

(There IS a "Thips Fashion" not as far towards Walking Street as the above, but i think that place sold ......fashion, as the name suggests HERE)

Penkoprod

Penkoprod nice photo, and exactly what I meant.

Sure the food wasn't the greatest but it wasn't the worst either(tried royal garden food court lately?)

And by gawd the price was right. It was also a nice place to people watch.

Now, the best budget place for western grub on beach road is probably baywatch.

Penkoprod

Sure the food wasn't the greatest but it wasn't the worst either(tried royal garden food court lately?)

If you take a walk along Beach Road, you will see lots of those one storey shacks (for want of a better word) with a bit of scrubland behind them, just BEGGING for a developer to come along and buy them out. Even bigger plots further up Beach Road. As Mr Zimmerman said.....The Time's They Are A'Changing !!!!!

As you say....a lot of character going out of Pattaya at the moment. Whether people liked the restaurant or not.

One of the 1st places i ate as a matter of fact. Full breakfast @ 35 baht, and a BIG mug of tea !!!! :)

Penkoprod

Penkoprod

If you take a walk along Beach Road, you will see lots of those one storey shacks (for want of a better word) with a bit of scrubland behind them, just BEGGING for a developer to come along and buy them out. Even bigger plots further up Beach Road. As Mr Zimmerman said.....The Time's They Are A'Changing !!!!!

As you say....a lot of character going out of Pattaya at the moment. Whether people liked the restaurant or not.

One of the 1st places i ate as a matter of fact. Full breakfast @ 35 baht, and a BIG mug of tea !!!! :)

Penkoprod

Interesting. The question then is why it hasn't happened already. The answer I suspect can

be seen in the vacant 2nd floor of Avenue mall on 2nd road and the struggling Royal Garden.

Too many high prices. Not enough high spenders. This isn't Phuket and never will be.

If all the beach were to go high end Pattaya would lose too many customers - this place

would have a lot of white chang so to speak on the beach. It is also possible that Tips

may have closed for other reasons.

It might be a case of the owners knowing they are sat on a goldmine and can afford to wait until some developer makes them an offer they cant refuse.

Owners of the land dont care what developer comes in with an offer as long as its good enough. Developers dont care who comes in after their development is complete. They're big enough to sit it out and wait for an entrepreneur a mug punter with more money than sense to come along thinking they can succeed where others will fail. Don't matter if its high end. low end, table end or cigarette end, thats the way Pattaya has been run and developed for decades. Possibly, the only unwritten law with the beachfrontage is that there wont be any "establishments of horizontal refreshment" built there these days, whereas before now it was anything goes, as long as it generates an income.

In other words, keep all the seedier side of the town and the "nicer" parts seperated as much as possible.

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

Never go to Tip's or Thip's or whatever or Baywatch so don't give a dam_n about them...as to the developers...so glad they're changing Patts for the better. I mean, can anyone even remember what was at Central Beach before Central...oh yeah, a couple whole prime beach front blocks of randy beer-bars filled with drunken old ferengs feeling-up poor displaced farm-girls.

Never go to Tip's or Thip's or whatever or Baywatch so don't give a dam_n about them...as to the developers...so glad they're changing Patts for the better. I mean, can anyone even remember what was at Central Beach before Central...oh yeah, a couple whole prime beach front blocks of randy beer-bars filled with drunken old ferengs feeling-up poor displaced farm-girls.

But that is what Pattaya was and is and without it you would not be in Pattaya or have any interest in it. You could always go upmarket, if the budget allows.

But that is what Pattaya was and is and without it you would not be in Pattaya or have any interest in it. You could always go upmarket, if the budget allows.

pattaya was, and its changing, for the better. its going upmarket, slowly, but thats the direction its heading in. thank god!

pattaya was, and its changing, for the better. its going upmarket, slowly, but thats the direction its heading in. thank god!

What you are saying is either true but trivial - There has always been upmarket development, depending on where and how you define it - or it is nontrivial and clearly false as the "direction" is mostly talk(yep that mayor really cleared the beaches!).

Pattaya remains a fishing village and a party town and an upscale hotel stay place....it will never be just one thing. It neither can nor should, though it is true that some are trying

Lets face facts though. Most foreigners who live solely in Pattaya are on a budget which needs places which are cheap. They can wish for all the advancement they wish but they have to realise that they will be the ones most affected by the removal of cheap eateries and the like.

Lets face facts though. Most foreigners who live solely in Pattaya are on a budget which needs places which are cheap.

I've got nothing against anyone on a budget; and there are plenty of housing, eating, sporting, and entertainment options to suit any taste and budget. That's what makes Pattaya a good option for all classes of tourists and residents.

I just see it as an overall improvement when low-end businesses are replaced with a nice upscale shopping-eating-entertainment-(and someday hotel) complex. Even with the new development there is plenty of new and old budget food and accommodations around.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I walked by Tips numerous times. Prices seemed OK. But food never looked that good.

I prefer A/C rest.

It is a shame to see it go but most development near the beach is designed for the foreign tourists with money to spend.

Penkoprod

Penkoprod

It was the first "regular" place I ate at, too, but in the end, too cramped, and the food no better or cheaper than many other places, so I moved on.

Still, sorry to hear that it's gone.