Apple Ipad In Mbk

kevc

I am paying close to 20k shipping the 16GB from the USA, more if customs add taxes and VAT - so this isn't too bad a price.

Colleague did the same shipping it in from the US to BKK on fedex ended up paying 6800THB on customs import duty and vat when it was delivered. Ouch.

Might get away with it tho if you have sent it visa USPS Priority or International mail or indeed declared the ""Correct" value on the customs declaration.

So many people on here talk about the iPhones and iPads being fake at MBK. Total nonsense there are fake iPhones available but if you can't tell the difference within 2ms then you don't deserve to own a iphone in the first place. You can purchase SAFELY at MBK any iPhone or iPad and it will not be fake unless you ask for a fake one. They will not produce a fake iphone or fake ipad (which don't exist) unless you ask specifically for the fake one.

Price yesterday was offered 16GB 23500thb 32GB 26500thb and 64GB 32000thb

Also reference Mail forwarders and the apple store as of beginning of the month the online apple store has blocked shipping to known mail forwarder companies. Bugger however Best Buy and Amazon still works.

Edited by negreanu

Would any Apple enthusiasts like to guess the technical reasons

why Israel would be doing this ? :) I am intrigued . What hiiden feature does it

have that could threaten security ?

Israel's Latest Ridiculous Story About Why It Has Banned iPads: They "Violate Israeli Law"

So now Israel is clarifying. Here, courtesy of the WSJ, is the new story:

"This device's wireless strengths violate Israeli law and will overpower other wireless devices in Israel," ministry spokesman Yechiel Shavi said.

The new story doesn't explain why travelers have been able to bring US laptops and cellphones into Israel for years without any complaint at all.

And engineers who have examined the iPad's wireless strength say that its wireless strength is actually weaker than that of comparable devices. So that part of the story doesn't hold water, either.

So, Israel, what's the real reason? What do you have against the iPad?

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodg...aeli-law-2010-4

They arent clones... everyone in this thread is too dumb to see the other threads of us all talking about the ipads we bought at mbk? :) Cmon guys...
Ummm if apple isnt selling outside the usa market yet then how are these legit ? Maybe they are grey-market or copies ? I dont think apple is going to cover a warranty or support it being sold outside its distribution channels.

I'm sorry we are too dumb.

If there are threads saying that iPads were bought at "MBK", especially at "my usual place", they must be authentic, same as is all the electronics bought at MBK.

I think this dumb person has now seen the light.

Maybe they are grey-market or copies ? I dont think apple is going to cover a warranty or support it being sold outside its distribution channels

Support is fine called AppleCare on 2 occasions about the iPad. Full telephone support offered. I also asked him about the warranty he said it is worldwide but only serviceable in countries where the iPad is for sale through Apple. I told him I bought it but I moved to Thailand he said that to get the hardware serviced I would need to send it to USA fedex or dhl at my expense and they would return it at their expense. (Serial number is valid....dam_n those chinese copiers are good)

This is only until it is available for sale officially in Asia.

Of course they are grey-imports they are not for sale officially anywhere in the world apart from the USA for at least another 6 weeks probably more until they are officially available in Thailand.

If I am typing this on my MBK COPY iPad then F**ck me their copy is a perfect copy of the original. I shall be buying more copy ipads from MBK too go along with my Identical copy iPhones I have bought there and not to mention the copy playstation 3 game consoles I have bought there...... :)

Anyway gotta get back to my cheap non legit grey import copy MBK iPad. Totally brilliant device. I can't imagine how good the non copy version is :D

Just because something is sold in MBK doesn't automatically mean it's a copy. That's tourist thinking.....

Edited by negreanu

I'm sorry we are too dumb.

If there are threads saying that iPads were bought at "MBK", especially at "my usual place", they must be authentic, same as is all the electronics bought at MBK.

I think this dumb person has now seen the light.

No problem man! Glad I could clear that up for you.

lol NO IDEA what you are talking about, I buy most of my electronics at MBK and they are all legit. You probably freak out and send your drink back when it comes with ice in it at 5 star hotels right? Thinking the ice isnt safe and all the other "just got off the boat" myths you believe.

Just because someone views such purchases with skepticism, doesn't make them stupid. If, when making any purchase in Bangkok, let alone MBK, one doesn't use a bit of scrutiny, than one shouldn't criticize others.

I have been dealing with Apple products, in Bangkok, since the "OS 8" days, when MacMart, Pantip Plaza, was about the only shop that could spell Macintosh.

A mere 20% mark up, for grey market, is quite surprising. Apple machines will usually sell at a similar or higher markup, from authorized resellers, who buy at wholesale pricing.

I do believe that a bit of skepticism wasn't unfounded....

-----

Just for smart-ass, to put my Bangkok footprint into perspective, I have been visiting Bangkok, at least twice a year, averaging about 3 months a year, since the 90s. I have lived here, continuously, since 2007. My average meal, including drink, usually runs under 50 baht.

You just might garner a bit more credibility if you didn't try so hard to put others down.

They arent clones... everyone in this thread is too dumb to see the other threads of us all talking about the ipads we bought at mbk? :) Cmon guys...

Sorry I was to dumb to see the other threads, I made a search and found non before posting, but at least we all get the benefit of your very informative and helpful reply.

I have lived here, continuously, since 2007. My average meal, including drink, usually runs under 50 baht.

I doubt this gives you much credibility as to people paying large premiums to get hold of the latest tech stuff.

Chances are we won't be bumping into each other.

I have lived here, continuously, since 2007. My average meal, including drink, usually runs under 50 baht.

I doubt this gives you much credibility as to people paying large premiums to get hold of the latest tech stuff.

Chances are we won't be bumping into each other.

lol no shit.

Sorry I was to dumb to see the other threads, I made a search and found non before posting, but at least we all get the benefit of your very informative and helpful reply.

I was just ragging on the guys that think everything in Thailand is a cheap copy.

My point was simple. It was strange to think that a 20% markup on these goods would be credible. Why the does everyone always have to try to come off as being so flaming smart, or superior?

I let you make your points.

Move on ladies .....

My point was simple. It was strange to think that a 20% markup on these goods would be credible. Why the does everyone always have to try to come off as being so flaming smart, or superior?

I let you make your points.

Move on ladies .....

Actually the markup on the grey imports on the iPads in Mongkok Hong Kong is exactly the same. Not sure where u get 20% from US price for 16gb is around 16000thb. MBK price is 23500thb - more like 40%+ markup.

Edited by negreanu

Actually the markup on the grey imports on the iPads in Mongkok Hong Kong is exactly the same. Not sure where u get 20% from US price for 16gb is around 16000thb. MBK price is 23500thb - more like 40%+ markup.

Let's be fair and include tax, I had to pay 9.5% tax in the USA which converts to 17,649 Thai baht. On top of that, I have to get it here, so I have to pay shipping. Maybe another 2000 baht or so. So I am close to 20k getting it from the USA via a friend.

The markup really isn't all that bad, I think. I might have bought it here had I known they arrive here so quickly and with a reasonable markup... and if I have to pay customs duties, I will be paying way more than at MBK - knock on wood.

Edited by nikster

I just got back from the US and I have a spare ipad (16gb wifi) for sale.

It's brand new, plastic shrink wrap is still on the box.

Send me a private message for details if you're interested.

Edited by Hit

3G version not out yet. Anyway imported 3G versions will not work here in Thailand:

1. Micro-sim

2. Carrier locked to AT&T, no unlock or jailbreak currently released for iPad.

It's not carrier locked. It will work as soon as the operators here offer micro SIM cards. I can't imagine this to take very long, really, I'd think they will offer micro SIMs as soon as the iPad officially launches in Thailand, which is "later this year".

From a random google search on the topic: "Steve Jobs bragged onstage that Apple's new iPad isn't locked to a specific carrier"

And yes, it's not out yet - it will come soon in the USA.

EU price the usual rip-off. Presumably includes 20% VAT though.

Edited by nikster