Gprs V. Broadband

madted

There was some discussion here about GPRS a few months ago. I was wonderingif anyone had any up-to-date experience.

I keep seeing adverts for Axen 7850i GPRS system, which say you can get unlimited internet for B999/month from DTAC, and can use worldwide, but how much does it cost if you use it in, say, England? What is speed and reliability like? I'm in Pattaya. Also they say you can make VOIP calls.

Also, Edge sell two other brands.

Would I be better off getting ADSL from TOT? Their engineer is coming to check my line to see if it is suitable. He's coming in two weeks. From the 29th April, that is. :o

ted

You don't need a card like the Axen, you can (cheaply) use any GPRS-capabable mobile phone to do the same thing (most mid range phones have it now, if you have a phone already you might want to check if its already got GPRS, if so you are already the proud owner of a wireless modem).

The DTAC deal is for postpaid subscribers, and they won't let you sign up without a work permit. Prepaid GPRS access is around 1 baht per minute from most providers. AIS have data plans for post paid, I don't know if you need a work permit or not these days, things are tightening up at the moment.

AIS has better network coverage in rural areas, but if you're hanging around cities and large towns you shouldn't have a problem with either AIS or DTAC.

Speed of GPRS is very slow (slightly slower than a dial up modem). Reliability is pretty crap, but in my opinion the DTAC GPRS service is better than AIS (which 'jams or drops out quite a lot).

You can't make VOIP calls over GPRS, its just too slow. You might be able to get away with it on EDGE (but that's only available in Bangkok, and only through the DTAC post paid plan).

The cost in England will depend on the service provider there, I have no idea other than to say cost varies wildly between countries, better check it out before you use it or you might get a nasty shock with the bill !

I can't get ADSL where I live and I often rely on GPRS when there are problems with dial-up connections. Works fine and hardly ever interrupts. The speed difference is noticeable only with lots of windows open and sending requests at the same time. Generally it's better for downloads but not for multiwindow surfing.

Edge works fine in downtown Bkk. The fastest download speed I've ever noticed was 375 kbps, normally it hovers between 100-200.

latency is too low with GPRS, forget VOIP...

gprs is gr8 if u r on the move....but if u need th net at one place adsl will be much much faster n cheaper...

EDGE might have a higher bandwidth, but i suppose the latency will still be too low...

I used GPRS up country through the IR phone connection. It was VERY slow. I finally bought a Solomon modem. It was better but still stinks. I can't get a land line so my only other option was a satellite dish. Expensive at about 3200 baht per month but if I wanted Internet I had no other option.

Thanks everyone, esp. Crushdepth for the detailed information.

It seems that the ad copy for Axen bears little relation to reality, so it looks like ADSL for me, if I can stir TOT into action.

ted