Gprs Dongle On Netbook Using Ais Sim

jamesphangan

Hi there, I am returning to Thailand soon ( currently in UK )

I have an Asus eeepc901 running xp sp3.

I Want to occasionally check on my position on the "my location" button on googlemaps while cycle touring around Thailand. I was considering buying an unlocked GPRS Dongle ( on ebay.co.uk ) to plug into USB on Netbook. I already have AIS 12call PAYGsim, and I understand there is 5 hrs internet for 50b. Assuming it only needs a minute or two connection time to get "my location" I think this should be a low cost solution.

I really like googlemaps, 'cause it shows all the back roads, very clearly if displayed without the satellite layer.

Would this all work easily? Plug and Play?, as I am not very tech minded.

Cheers.

I seriously doubt what you want to do is at all possible with only a GPRS dongle.

My PDA (HTC Touch) gives a very approximate location through triangulating mobile phone cells using a special version of google maps for PDA's/mobile phones.

I do not think that Google maps can do this triangulating with netbook and a GPRS dongle!

Anyway, the location can be up to 2 miles out of whack at times, and sometimes it's within 500 meters.

If I want proper location them I need to activate the GPS in my phone.

In your situation, I'd think you need a GPS unit, they're both available in USB dongle type or as separate Bluetooth models. Using the GPS doesn't cost anything, and once your location is determined you can then connect to the internet so google maps can show your location. As you said, might take a few minutes as GPRS is not that fast.

The GPS dongle would be something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730F-Stic...s/dp/B001GG4D0A

Thanks Monty, You are right, I found out googlemaps "my location" is only accurate in a high density phone mast location. I want to use it in the Thai backwaters. USB GPS dongle would be small and cheap, but will it be easy to install in XP and will this be accurate to within about 100mtrs?

Anyone else with advice?

The op wrote:

>I really like googlemaps, 'cause it shows all the back roads, very clearly if displayed without the satellite layer.

I too like them and found Yahoo maps as good also. The higher contrast color schemes of Yahoo maps suited my eyes better than Googles pastel shades in outdoor areas. There are also a multitude of programs that enable you to save Yahoo and Google maps offline so there is not need to pay the phone company to download.

I wouldn't use a net book or notebook on the road esp cycling, when a Pocket phone or PC will run same maps easily. But if you want to use an XP net book, check if any GPS device comes with compatible install CD or down loadable drivers. I haven't used USB GPS devices myself preferring bluetooth that cost under 50USD and can connect to phone or PC.

Thanks Digitalbanana, Yahoo maps looks great. My netbook looks fairly tough and has Solid state HD, also I want to check emails, and do a bit of writing occasionally while on road.....So now I rekon, get a small bluetooth device very cheap on ebay that will get coordinates to tap into yahoo maps and then I will get instant location., I will need some free gps software to get results off of bluetooth device. Already have bluetooth on netbook.

Cheers.

I will need some free gps software to get results off of bluetooth device. Already have bluetooth on netbook.

Cheers.

Google Maps does GPS location and navigation. Perhaps try Gmapcatcher that's free and only works on notebooks with GoogleMaps, Yahoo Maps and GPS to allow offline use albiet without navigation. I would have liked a version for Windows Mobile. Instead I use WM ver of OziExplorer that can use save Yahoo and Google Maps without need for internet access on road and interact with GPS. That along with WM Garmin street navigation maps usually gets me where I want.

Edited by Digitalbanana