Monitors

Crossy

No, this does not belong in the IT section :o

A couple of sizeable (2'6") monitor lizards have taken up residence at the bottom of our garden. They are doing no harm and are fascinating to watch (if I get up early enough).

We are owned by an old tom cat who moved in shortly after we did, the old feller has seen better days and obviously decided we were a soft touch.

Is he likely to be in any danger?? Obviously kittens would make a nice snack for our friends but a bigger wily old moggie?? I'd hate to see him harmed (and the wife would go wild).

Thoughts anyone

If you're talking about those big "doo-kaas" they tend to leave well enough alone. I used to have one in my house and he lived behind the fridge. Was more scared of us than we were of him.

I sorta like 'em around as they eat their weight in bugs... :o

As you say, they'll take kittens. My neighbour lost a couple and the monitor even came around looking again after mum had moved them. None of our full -grown local cats ever seem to fall victim. Maybe if they were hungry enough they'd try.

Not "doo-kaas" - he means "hia" (excuse me) or "tua ngoen tua tawng".

They will eat anything smaller than them that they can catch. If the old cat comes up missing you will know what happened to him. The lizards will get much larger than 2 and a half feet long.

Back in Oz a few years back we had cat that decided to have a go at a big goana.

After a few seconds the cat realised that he was lucky that he could run faster.

He never bothered it again.

And i thought you meant PC monitor - hence yes they are dangerous of you drop it on the cats head!!

As for the lizard variety dont know - try teasing them with the cat and see if they take the bait! :o:D:D

If you're talking about those big "doo-kaas" they tend to leave well enough alone.  I used to have one in my house and he lived behind the fridge.  Was more scared of us than we were of him.

I sorta like 'em around as they eat their weight in bugs... :o

Boon Mee

I do hope you were jesting here !

You let a 3 foot long monitor lizard live inside your house ??

The kitchen is an outdoor kitchen I take it, No ??

I live, I learn.

Cheers

Paul