Visa Question.

NamKangMan

Just a quick question about Thai visas and the visa exemption stamp on arrival.

The Mods can move this post if they see fit, but, as it involves landing at Phuket Airport, and because of TIT, and the fact other Thai Airports maybe different, I have posted it on the Phuket forum.

The question is this: If you are on a flight that lands at Phuket Airport around 11pm at night, if you get to the back of the immigration que and don't pass immigation until after 12am (midnight) - is your visa or stamp dated the following day?

Simply put, do the immigration officers change the date on their "stamps" at midnight, thus, giving a visa runner like myself, technically, another day.

Does anyone know at what time the immigration officers set their stamps?

OR, does it go by the Flight Number. Eg. Flight No. ABC123 landed at 11pm, so, that is the date you get and Flight No. XYX789 landed at 12:30am so that is the date you get.

I know it's only 1 day we are talking about, but it's handy to know when you have to book flights in advance, for cheap prices, to do visa runs.

yes it is by the day ....... are you serious ??? to go to all that trouble for 1 day.... easier to overstay a day and pay the fine or a week ........

I know it's only 1 day. After I got to thinking about it, I became curious, hence, my post. I have traveled to many countries and have never overstayed. Just a personal choice. I try to abide by all laws, whilst abroad. Sometimes I do a visa run and go to the Thai Embassy etc etc, but, sometimes I need to get back to Thailand ASAP, so, I fly out in the morning, and back in the evening. I have a choice of destinations and flight costs etc etc, but, if I can get a flight that lands near midnight, why not get the extra day? Thanks for your info.

I can guarantee that it's not by flight number, it's when you go through immigration. I always like to take the red eye out when leaving Phuket and it departs after midnight (ie the following day), but I'm stamped out for the date I pass through immigration (usually at about 11.30pm). If you think about it, it is really the only commonsense approach.