Thai Immigration To Waive Overstay Fee For Stranded Foreigners

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New website text below:

Thai immigration to waive overstay fee for stranded foreigners

Thai Immigration Bureau has instructed all immigration ports in Thailand to waive fee for visa overstay for foreigner stranded in Thailand with proof of the following;

* flight details shown they are due to fly on flights which are disrupted by the airspace closure (Volcano Ash)

* visa stamp in passport expired on and after 15 April 2010

* As of now, the waive will apply till the situation return to normal.

http://www.imm2.go.th/index.php

This is good news and makes sense.

I hope other countries apply the same common sense with this situation in regard to foreigners who are stranded. For example if you overstay in the UK or USA it has consequences regarding re-entry in the future. The UK and US are not known for applying common sense when it comes enforcing laws.

who cares man....... I mean really......... thanks for that Thailand!!

Have to wonder though.... what foreign advisor is on the payroll...

you wouldn't think the local government came up with that on their own..... who do I send the thank you note to??

Better yet, can i get the email of the English ambassador who put this in affect...

England doesn't have an ambassador however the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland do have an ambassador. A contact email address for him will almost certainly be on the FCO website.

Why would you assume that the idea came from a foreigner? I accept that most foreigners here only ever meet Thais working in the hospitality industry and are therefore, almost inevitably, going to meet the less intelligent members of Thai society but.............................

I have worked with many intelligent, forward thinking Thais for whom a decision like this is obvious.

I dont have proof of a canceled flight as i booked it on the internet.

I fly out today, wish me luck trying to explain it... although i am only on one day overstay.

The printout of your “electronic ticket and receipt” is proof of your flight booking.

--

Maestro

just checked the the immigration bureau there is a form in thai

:-Practice guidelines if air traffic control center announced today the closing of European airspace to cause volcanic eruption, Iceland.

i asked a friend to translate, she said it was not for sure just maybes and if's.

sucks for me as i am 3 days over already.

anyway here is the link. immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/20100423_imm.pdf

There is a notice in English on this immigration web page:

http://www.imm2.go.th/index.php

Thai Immigration Bureau has instructed all immigration ports in Thailand to waive fee for visa overstay for foreigner stranded in Thailand with proof of the following;

* flight details shown they are due to fly on flights which are disrupted by the airspace closure (Volcano Ash)

* visa stamp in passport expired on and after 15 April 2010

* As of now, the waive will apply till the situation return to normal.

--

Maestro

so could this overstay exemption possibly apply till say 15.May and given the current visa expiring is a 1 year extension (non o)?

I don't see why not?

Basically looking for experiences of anyone in recent/similar situation or ones have heard of when a possible 'cutoff date' for this exemption for europe bound canceled/delayed flights?

called imm HQ today & she indicated yes delayed travelers could still be waived overstay, but recommended to check with airport IMM @ 02-1340261 to verify exact details for your case, but at least confirmed booking made prior to 15apr is req. :)