need some quick information,

i have applied my first credit card in kasikorn bank,its been already 20 days now,i got a call from bank just to verify my office address(this was on 8th april).and after that no information,

is it advisable to call bank and check?because omone told me not to call to check status this will show my need for credit card and they might get suspicious.

i want to go europe next monday,any advice?

just called them,and they told me that they have not received my current account statement,which i was surprise to here,then i called my branch and now my branch staff will follow this and call me in don't know how many days time.

Just turned in my Bangkok Bank credit card today. It had a 50,000 baht limit and they held 100,000 baht of my bank account balance ransom for that. I've had the card for over a year and paid all bills in full on time, thought that they would see that I was good credit risk and release the funds.....not in LOS :)

Just turned in my Bangkok Bank credit card today. It had a 50,000 baht limit and they held 100,000 baht of my bank account balance ransom for that. I've had the card for over a year and paid all bills in full on time, thought that they would see that I was good credit risk and release the funds.....not in LOS :)

I would never do that,freeze 100k to use 50k?whats the point here,its better to use debit cards and ATM cards,atleast you can use your full amount.

Same with SCB, applied half March and got an sms on the 9th of April that I'll receive my card in the coming 2 weeks.

Same story though, 50K credit line yet 100K deposited in fixed account.

For some reasons you just need a credit card, debit won't do.

Example : Went to Oz last February and had a hard time getting a decent hotel coz of not having a credit card.

Same with SCB, applied half March and got an sms on the 9th of April that I'll receive my card in the coming 2 weeks.

Same story though, 50K credit line yet 100K deposited in fixed account.

For some reasons you just need a credit card, debit won't do.

Example : Went to Oz last February and had a hard time getting a decent hotel coz of not having a credit card.

yes thats true

This is somewhat off-topic and may not be possible for the OP.

Here is how I got my CC six years ago:

Tried many banks and was told my salary is not enough or I would have to have a certain amount locked up to cover the card.

Not an option for me.

My wife (Thai) had already a CC from SCB with a credit limit of 30K. She had to have an account with them but no minimum deposit required and as long as there were enough funds to deduct the monthly charges there was no problem, even if the funds are not sufficient they just charge their exorbitant interest rate for late payment (hasn't happened to us yet).

I applied for a family card based on my wife's account and got it on the spot. Documents required: Application, PP, Marriage cert. and house registration of wife.

Now we have a consolidated credit limit of 50K with my card having a limit of 30K.

This is just fine with us. My card is Visa and works well abroad but I use it mostly for on-line payments of bills.

So, what I'm saying here is: If you have a wife who has a CC try to get a card based on the same account.

opalhort

I would never do that,freeze 100k to use 50k?whats the point here,its better to use debit cards and ATM cards,atleast you can use your full amount.

Are you saying that KBank is not holding any funds to issue you a CC?

I have 2 cards already from Canada, so this was only to have a Thai based card for things like PayPal, etc that require a Thai address. Not really that important to me, so they can have it back.

I have 2 cards already from Canada, so this was only to have a Thai based card for things like PayPal, etc that require a Thai address. Not really that important to me, so they can have it back.

If you have a job and a WP a "real" credit card is possible with any Thai bank, without holding any funds, I got a gold card off SCB within two weeks of being in country with a THB 100k limit

If you have a job and a WP a "real" credit card is possible with any Thai bank, without holding any funds,

I have a (very good) job and a WP and I can tell you for a fact that Bangkok Bank will not. Can't answer for the other banks, but have been told that both KBank and Ayudhya Bank are more farang friendly that BB.

I found that KTC was quite friendly when issuing my CC, seemed very accommodating and willing to be flexible with some of the documents needed.

Took about 1.5 weeks from the time I turned in my application until I got a call to confirm my details and then the card arrived at the house by mail about two weeks later.

My plan is to go soon to my SCB branch and ask for a BEYOND PLATINUM mastercard, depositing in a fixed account 500/600.000 baht, I hope to get the same amount in credit limit as I was told this way from the accountant... She did not talk about a 80% or 50% (!) of the fixed deposit. She told me 'same same' you place in fixed deposit 'same same' you get in credit line... Hope so... I will keep you updated...

This is somewhat off-topic and may not be possible for the OP.

Here is how I got my CC six years ago:

Tried many banks and was told my salary is not enough or I would have to have a certain amount locked up to cover the card.

Not an option for me.

My wife (Thai) had already a CC from SCB with a credit limit of 30K. She had to have an account with them but no minimum deposit required and as long as there were enough funds to deduct the monthly charges there was no problem, even if the funds are not sufficient they just charge their exorbitant interest rate for late payment (hasn't happened to us yet).

I applied for a family card based on my wife's account and got it on the spot. Documents required: Application, PP, Marriage cert. and house registration of wife.

Now we have a consolidated credit limit of 50K with my card having a limit of 30K.

This is just fine with us. My card is Visa and works well abroad but I use it mostly for on-line payments of bills.

So, what I'm saying here is: If you have a wife who has a CC try to get a card based on the same account.

opalhort

Same here - Citybank Platinum B300 k limit / krungsri Platinum B350 k limit both as a second card with my wife as the main card holder. I earn significantly more than she does but there is no chance I can get a Thai CC as I don't work in Thailand.

I rarely use the cards as my SCB debit cards do the same job - Although the SCB savings account Mastercard Electronic looks funny with kiddies cartoons on it.

I'm also a little paranoid about the rumored lack of protection against fraud with Thai cards. I don't know the details or whether or not the rumors are true. But whenever overseas I use my UK CC which protects me from fraud.

Bangkok Bank is.......Well..........@#$%!!!! My wife has had their card for 12 years along with the same job and her limit is insultingly small. On occasion they have granted for a short length of time an overage of 5000b and she has only been late one time in those years and that was the month following a full payoff because she thought the bill that came in and had a 1000b balance had already been paid in the previous months payoff. She just applied for an increase in credit and they tell her because she's a foreigner they won't increase it, but yet they increase locals limits everyday and then get stiffed for the balance. It is some kind of hypocrisy for sure so as soon as possible this card is going to be sliced into tiny pieces and presented in the face of the bank branch manager that issued it and has denied the increase after being a good customer all of these years and still being treated like trash it's time to turn that treatment around on them and show them what it's like....

Krungthai on the other hand has been good to us with good service etc. and the limit she has with them is respectable and almost three times it is with Bangkok and that was upon issue a little over 2 years ago

Neither of my wife's cards are secured...

Get a Debit Card issued by Mastercard or Visa from your Thai Bank.

You then have the advantage of not having to deposit money with the bank for security.

It can be linked to your SAV or CHQ account and can be used overseas.

You have the protection of a CC as well. PIN or sign if used as a CC.

When used in a EFTPOS terminal select CC.

I'm also a little paranoid about the rumored lack of protection against fraud with Thai cards. I don't know the details or whether or not the rumors are true. But whenever overseas I use my UK CC which protects me from fraud.

The upside with the SCB credit card is that as soon as a transaction takes place you get an SMS from SCB with the time and amount and for larger amounts and overseas use, they call you to confirm, so any "funny" useage is picked up very quickly

The upside with the SCB credit card is that as soon as a transaction takes place you get an SMS from SCB with the time and amount and for larger amounts and overseas use, they call you to confirm, so any "funny" useage is picked up very quickly

Unfortunately that system won't work for me if I am overseas and the phone is turned off.

I'm happy using a UK card when overseas because of the protection it offers and has proven to offer. A few years ago I was in KL, my UK card issuer picked up on the fact that while I was in Malaysia it was impossible for my card to have been used in HK just 2 hours after using it in a hotel in KL (that was the last time I ever permitted a paper (embossed print machine) rather than an electronic transaction). Back in the UK 6 months later all I needed to do was sign an affidavit that it was not I who had used the card in HK and the money was reimbursed.

I'm not yet confident that a card issued in Thailand would reimburse any fraudulent activity (although I have no proof of this).

I try to be careful where I use the debit card. I noticed a double transaction a few years back and had the B40,000 reimbursed immediately, although that response was down to the shop itself, the staff after seeing proof of the mistake on my statement and matching it in with their records reimbursed my account.

Soutpeel - Does the SCB card you have offer you fraud protection. i.e. in the event that a sum of money has fraudulently spent on your SCB card, is it the money lost or recoverable?

Yes, what is the protection on cards, that is all cards not just CCs in Thailand?

On receiving a new or replacement card does it have to be initialised by the bank before it can be used?

Are PIN numbers sent in a sealed envelope separate from the card and on different days?

Can you easily change you PIN numbers?

In the case of loss or theft, provided one has notified the Bank of such an event happening

are you only liable for a limited amount, eg $50 or THB 1000?

What protection do you have against fraudalent use of the card by unauthorised third parties?

Does the bank put a watch on your account if requested and automatically flag unusual transactions?

Confidentiality, Privacy and Security are words that do not seem to be understood in Thailand.

If you have a job and a WP a "real" credit card is possible with any Thai bank, without holding any funds,

I have a (very good) job and a WP and I can tell you for a fact that Bangkok Bank will not. Can't answer for the other banks, but have been told that both KBank and Ayudhya Bank are more farang friendly that BB.

I have a BBL CC (Titanium Mastercard) with the Cash Back Rewards and have not been asked for any deposit. I am a customer with BBL since Sep 1997 but do not think that this is the reason. Only problem I have is the fact that my limit is 100 K only.

ok here is the update.

just got a call from kasikorn and they told me my current account is not update.(my current AC is in BBL)

i applied my card end of march so march statement din't arrived at that time,now they want my update statement to process my application.

i mean this is not my fault,i applied in march and if bank is taking too long should i update every now and then.

i won't be surprised if they ask my april statement also.

Edited by babuhavas

I make 50k/month and have been living in thailand for the past 24 years. Provided the banks with the following documents:

- Work permit copy with the same company for more than 3 years

-Passport copy

-Letter from my company stating my salary and number of years i have worked for the company

- Copy of my bank book(saving account)at TMB bank where my salary gets wired in.

- Pay slip for the past 2 months

I applied for a Credit Card at the following banks:

-TMB - Rejected

-SCB - Rejected (Received a SMS 3 days from the app submission date)

-Bank of Ayudhya - Waiting for the results

-AMEX - Waiting for the call(Applied last thursday 22/4/2010)

-KTC - A staff from the bank called me yesterday(27/4/2010) on my cell phone number to verify the information provided to the bank and said that I will know the results in 2 weeks time.

-Kasikorn - Still waiting for the call.

Been having high hopes with KTC, AMEX and Ayudhya.

I make 50k/month and have been living in thailand for the past 24 years. Provided the banks with the following documents:

- Work permit copy with the same company for more than 3 years

-Passport copy

-Letter from my company stating my salary and number of years i have worked for the company

- Copy of my bank book(saving account)at TMB bank where my salary gets wired in.

- Pay slip for the past 2 months

I applied for a Credit Card at the following banks:

-TMB - Rejected

-SCB - Rejected (Received a SMS 3 days from the app submission date)

-Bank of Ayudhya - Waiting for the results

-AMEX - Waiting for the call(Applied last thursday 22/4/2010)

-KTC - A staff from the bank called me yesterday(27/4/2010) on my cell phone number to verify the information provided to the bank and said that I will know the results in 2 weeks time.

-Kasikorn - Still waiting for the call.

Been having high hopes with KTC, AMEX and Ayudhya.

Got a call yesterday from AMEX(Thailand) around 1:00pm to verify the information in the application form and then again got a call around 4:00pm saying that they have approved AMEX Gold CC with 40,000 baht Credit limit. Will be getting the card on Tuesday (4 May 2010) !!!!

I would recommend everyone of you who has been having problems getting a CC to apply at AMEX(Thailand) !!!