Expat Retiree Cost Of Living--higher And Higher

gguy

I have a number of expat retirees friends that have complained about the rising costs of Pattaya.

It does seem to be getting much more expensive in Pattaya in Baht terms. The cost of drinks has gone up significantly. Most go-go's now charge 120 B for a bottled beer. It seems like it was about 80 B a couple of years ago. Since one beer is my limit I have not really noticed or cared.

My last couple of weeks observations indicate that things related to bars are up and up and up higher, western rest food is up moderately, apartment rentals are flat, grocery stores prices for western food seem to be much higher. I don't own a car so fueling and other operating costs are unknown.

It does seem to be a lot more expensive to live here compared to 10 years ago.

Do you feel that the cost of living is rising faster in Thailand compared to the US or Europe?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with you there, due to lack of tourism and the baht going low. The people are putting prices up to cater for the losses.

It's actually cheaper to live in USA, Europe and Australaia at the minute compared to pattaya.

Not talking about bars or ladies. General everyday expences.

Even shopping in Bangkok is cheaper than shopping in Pattaya. I do a monthly shop at Tops Superstore in Rangsit every month.

Best supermarket charge 120 baht for heinz beans, Tops only 48 baht. See the difference. And all other foods are at least 50% cheaper than pattaya.

It's actually cheaper to live in USA, Europe and Australaia at the minute compared to pattaya.

Are you serious?

Obviously imported food is going to cost you more here than it its country of origin. Isn't that basic commonsense?

If you can survive on a limited amount of imported food, living in Pattaya is far cheaper than in Europe, USA and Australasia.

Do you feel that the cost of living is rising faster in Thailand compared to the US?

they're probably rising at about the same pace but thailand is starting from a MUCH lower base.

but i am (super) glad I started my early (at that time working) retirement here five+ years ago. the day is coming, more due to a strong baht, when thailand WON'T be affordable for retirees on a (low to moderate) fixed income.

this is just crazy talk

Just for starters, a decent place to rent in Australia would start at 40,000 baht per month (unfurnished)...and that's in a cheap city/town. To live in a decent area of Sydney you could almost double that.

In real dollar terms, it is far more expensive to retire in Pattaya-Jomtien than it was 10 years ago..........certainly 15-20 years ago...........and the quality of what you are purchasing is not much better than it was in the past.

Quality of services rendered is also not much better if at all.

It is not all about exchange rates...........it is about pure stupidity..........raising prices as the economy turns weak.

It is also about massive greed (those wonderful developers that are ruining Pattaya-Jomtien).

And it is about "a sucker being born every minute." Fortunately, I think increasing numbers of potential buyers are waking up to the reality of the real estate market and making a wise decision not to purchase anything.

They should also not pay an excessive price for rent. The market is crashing. Eventually this reality will surface.

I am not sure how long the developers (and government officials that think by encouraging prices increases and raising the visa income bar Pattaya-Jomtien will turn into Monaco) can live in their fantasy world.

I know several expats that left ten years ago.........saw the writing on the wall...........and most had $$$$$$$$$

A major problem is if there is a solution to a problem, Thais will do the precise opposite of what that solutions tells them to do. :)

It is for this reason that I see other countries in the region benefiting from the mistakes Thailand is making in its approach to real estate, expats/retirees, quality tourists, business rules, visa rules in general, etc.

Most go-go's now charge 120 B for a bottled beer.

Any comment would be superfluous. Tell them, if they really want to drink out, and no problem with that I rarely drink at home myself, a bottle of Singha at Wonderful bar (corner of soi Yamato and 2nd) is 45 Bahr daytime.

Prices are going up the world over, it's called inflation. No country is immune so why should the Thais put up with lower income just so foreign retirees can enjoy living the high life on the cheap?

General everyday expences.

Sorry bwalker, but thats absolute <deleted>. Living in Pattaya is certainly not more expensive than living in 'Australia' (assuming thats what you meant by Australaia).

General everyday expenses are much much higher in Australia than pattaya with the exception of a few imported products (which is only to be expected). It may have been a while since you were in Australia (30-40 years?) :D:)

It's actually cheaper to live in Australaia at the minute compared to pattaya.

Yeah nah, beginning of the month I was in OZ, the amount of coin I dumped on basic daily living expenses was scary, am glad to be back home.

I will join in with more crazy talk. although the baht will be under pressure now as the political showdown continues, we live in a world of big international money flows that make even the IMF puny. which money is moving into the Asean countries and Thailand is in the middle of that. that is unstoppable. the baht could return to it's pre-crisis levels in the next 5 or 10 years and go even farrther. it's not crazy talk to be ready for that.

Most go-go's now charge 120 B for a bottled beer.

Any comment would be superfluous. Tell them, if they really want to drink out, and no problem with that I rarely drink at home myself, a bottle of Singha at Wonderful bar (corner of soi Yamato and 2nd) is 45 Bahr daytime.

Prices are going up the world over, it's called inflation. No country is immune so why should the Thais put up with lower income just so foreign retirees can enjoy living the high life on the cheap?

I spent the better part of the past 6 years looking for a place to retire. When I met people in, say, Costa Rica...Panama...Argentina...USA...etc...they all said "you shoulda been here 15 years ago!". I can't tell you how many times I have heard that. Inflation is killing everybody. Prices are up world wide. And mostly due to higher energy and commodity prices (thanks, China!!!!). And people are traveling more...especially those from the developing countries (Eastern Europe, India, Brazil, China, etc). This drives up prices for sure...

Check out these sites for cost of living comparisons:

http://www.numbeo.com/common/

http://www.prosperity.com/default.aspx

Thailand is still among the cheaper places to live. And IMHO, much better than anywhere else in Asia....

Been coming to Patts for 20+ years - of course prices rise & I avoid being there for Songkran. (Hate Sewage waste disguised as water)

But just been to Penang for the 2nd time in 6 months & going back there in July, seriously considering it instead of Patts.

On the Gold Coast / Surfers Paradise at the moment , Australia cheaper than Paataya , ARE YOU KIDDIN'.

This place is ridiculous

:)

Hi,

Expat Retiree Cost Of Living--higher And Higher :

The cost of drinks has gone up significantly. Most go-go's now charge 120 B for a bottled beer.

Please tell me which country include the "price of a beer in a gogo" in the estimation of "Cost of living" ? :D

It's absolutely has no significance and only concern a few old sexpat.

I bet not even 1% of the population of Pattaya go sometimes drink a beer in a gogo...

So many people living well in Pattaya with small pensions at about 30.000 baht/month

and they could not even get an apartment in Europe or USA for this amount...

In real dollar terms, it is far more expensive to retire in Pattaya-Jomtien than it was 10 years ago.....

In real dollar it is more expensive everywhere in the World because of the actual weakness of the dollar.

But it's not a big problem for most as it concern only American guys... :)

>The cost of drinks has gone up significantly. Most go-go's now charge 120 B for a bottled beer. It seems like it was about 80 B a couple of years ago.

Many go-gos have draft for about 55 baht and also happy hours. In the old days, they didn't have this kind of special.

Anyway, you have to compare prices for visiting a strip club in the developed world. In the USA, you might pay $10 for parking, $10 for cover charge, $8-10 for a drink plus $2 tip, and $10 for a tip to a lady for showing. No touching; if you want a lap dance, that'll cost you another $20. So, roughly B1320 for starters, absurdly more expensive. On this point, you don't have a case.

Right...the Pound is doing so well...what currency is actually up vs. the Baht?

The USD has been floating between 35 and 32 for 3 years. No big deal really.

The AUD is higher than it has been for most of the last 5 years.

Fortunately we don't all live in Europe. This is something the Brits on here often forget. Even there you're probably whinging about a correction because the GBP was overvalued for many years.

People often say "You should have been here ten years ago. Everything was much cheaper then." In 2020 do you think people will be saying "2010, yeah everything's got a lot cheaper since then..." or will they be saying "You should have been here ten years ago...." ?

I also notice more middle class Thais around every year. Driving saloon cars instead of pickups. Shopping in malls instead of markets. With a growing middle class market prices are only going to go one way.

It would make sense that at a time when most major Western currencies are very weak vis-a-vis the baht that things would be more expensive in BAHT terms...even if the price in baht was the same as 3-4 years ago!

In general, I don't find things more expensive in REAL terms...and things that are more expensive really aren't as they are higher-end goods and services that were not available at any price in prior years. As you correctly note, rents (and housing prices) are flat and that is most peoples (except the bar-flies) main expense so price levels overall are still very reasonable.

The price of gas is whatever the world price is and is more or less the same the world over (with add-on costs for local excise taxes which vary greatly from country to country). I have not noticed any appreciable cost increase for electricity or restaurant meals (in fact, we're back in the low-season promotional pricing at many places) so for me, Pattaya is still cheap as chips and a wonderful place to live.

As to prices for bar libations (and "entertainment") I rarely go to these places (unless visiting friends are in town and want to go).

The OP complained about 120 baht beers in GoGo bars but in every country there are places that charge tourists ridiculous prices for products and services. Most true expats (not 2 - 4 week visitors) limit the time and money they spend in these clip joints. I still find the Pattaya area inexpensive compared to my home country, Canada. Western food you are going to pay more for because of shipping, import fees and lets face it - it's farang food, often Thai equalivents are very reasonable.

Some realistic comparrisions

-1 hour legit oil massage here 200 baht - my country 1,800 baht

-Western restaurant meal 140 B - my country double that at least

-Thai food here cheap - back home expensive and terrible

-Cheap beer in bar 45 B - my country 120 B

-Ocean view studio condo rental here about 1/3 the price back home.

-Electricity much cheaper here.

-Very few taxes and surcharges here also.

-Traffic fines here 400B - back home 10 times that then an increase on insurance.

Medical proceedures are cheap and fast even in the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital or Bumrungrad compared to western countries. Dental services here are a fraction of the prices in Canada. Gas prices about the same so I drive a motorcycle locally. New motorcycle here about one third of the price back home.

Besides the financial pluses this area is far more fun and you don't freeze off your body parts!

It would make sense that at a time when most major Western currencies are very weak vis-a-vis the baht that things would be more expensive in BAHT terms...even if the price in baht was the same as 3-4 years ago!

In general, I don't find things more expensive in REAL terms...)

................................................................................

Eh? Please elucidate.

Surely a strong baht should lead to cheaper imports, unless thats what you mean!

REAL terms means what?

I personally find many things much more expensive than previously ( or UK)

Medical costs are on par with UK ( private) and dont forget mainly free in UK esp for a pensioner.

I cannot live like a local so many Western items are not luxury but essential!

If you want a verycheap lifestyle it can be done, but surely the quality of life IS important to a retiree?

Finally Pattaya is MUCH more expensive than BKK where I lived for 14 years!

The OP complained about 120 baht beers in GoGo bars but in every country there are places that charge tourists ridiculous prices for products and services. Most true expats (not 2 - 4 week visitors) limit the time and money they spend in these clip joints. I still find the Pattaya area inexpensive compared to my home country, Canada. Western food you are going to pay more for because of shipping, import fees and lets face it - it's farang food, often Thai equalivents are very reasonable.

Some realistic comparrisions

-1 hour legit oil massage here 200 baht - my country 1,800 baht

-Western restaurant meal 140 B - my country double that at least

-Thai food here cheap - back home expensive and terrible

-Cheap beer in bar 45 B - my country 120 B

-Ocean view studio condo rental here about 1/3 the price back home.

-Electricity much cheaper here.

-Very few taxes and surcharges here also.

-Traffic fines here 400B - back home 10 times that then an increase on insurance.

Medical proceedures are cheap and fast even in the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital or Bumrungrad compared to western countries. Dental services here are a fraction of the prices in Canada. Gas prices about the same so I drive a motorcycle locally. New motorcycle here about one third of the price back home.

Besides the financial pluses this area is far more fun and you don't freeze off your body parts!

All you say is so true and I agree 100% but you're wasting your time pointing it out on this forum. As the OP demonstrated, 90% of the lurkers and posters here don't live in LOS and when they are here on their annual 2 week holiday, all they care about it the price of beer in a go-go and the price of...

People often say "You should have been here ten years ago. Everything was much cheaper then." In 2020 do you think people will be saying "2010, yeah everything's got a lot cheaper since then..." or will they be saying "You should have been here ten years ago...." ?

I also notice more middle class Thais around every year. Driving saloon cars instead of pickups. Shopping in malls instead of markets. With a growing middle class market prices are only going to go one way.

I have also noticed a lot of cars with red plates...and the malls are pretty full with Thais shopping...actually carrying bags. I do agree that one reason Thailand seems more expensive is there are more options to spend your money now! 8 years ago there were only a few places to get foreign goods...now you have Carrefour, Tesco, Central, etc...all carrying imported food stuffs...which are way more expensive.

As another poster mentioned, Western amenities are, to some degree, a necessity. But, cutting down on cheese, packaged ham, frozen dinners, etc. is not that big a deal...and is actually healthy to avoid this stuff anyway. My big complaint is WINE! It is so dam_n expensive! My friends, near the wine country in central California, laugh at what I drink here...they don't know how good they got it!

As far as medical...us Americans...with NO coverage...have it way better over here. My (wine) friends pay $800/month for coverage...after a 3k or 5k yearly deduction. Crazy. Even dental is crazy expensive in the US. I just self insure here....

I cannot live like a local so many Western items are not luxury but essential!

If you want a very cheap lifestyle it can be done, but surely the quality of life IS important to a retiree?

Please explain. Ok you need water, electricity and air-con, but what else is essential ??

Finally Pattaya is MUCH more expensive than BKK where I lived for 14 years!

I found prices to be very similar, except accommodation less expensive in Pattaya.

Can you give us examples ?

Are you serious?

Obviously imported food is going to cost you more here than it its country of origin. Isn't that basic commonsense?

If you can survive on a limited amount of imported food, living in Pattaya is far cheaper than in Europe, USA and Australasia.

Tropo i agree with you,what a crazy statement from op.

does he think health care in usa is cheaper,gas,electric,rates,housing etec etc.Maybe the kfc or mcdonalds are cheaper though.Plenty of bars at 35 baht,plenty of women at 500 baht,plenty of everything cheaper than WS.The only reason the cost of living is more expensive is the strong baht,but many of us have been living for a few years on 74.9 and 70.9 baht to the gbp.