Bangkok: Another Crackdown, More Bloodshed Expected

webfact

Yet another sad piece of garbage.

Thanks for posting it though, it's good to see the depths this 'newspaper' has fallen to.

If the NATION just prints garbage, why do you have over 3,000 posts here? It seems you have a lot of spare time on your hands and you love to read garbage? Explain that to us please...

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is quite the most hysterical piece I have read especially as it mentions elements normally best left unspoken.

Whilst the frustration & fears the writer expresses may be felt by many not of the Red persuasion,

he has overlooked the most salient fact that has demonstratively been demonstrated here on the streets of the capital.

That is, the only coherent organization able to carry out specific operations in Bangkok are the Red Shirts.

They have successfully closed the main HiSo retail area of the city, taken over bridges and other Key Points of the capital as they wish.

Indeed they have shown a resolve and determination to achieve their aims that have put the government and its forces of law and order to shame.

Neither the police nor the military have shown such discipline, planning or cunning in carrying out their hapless attempts to regain control of the capital.

IMO the time for vacillating and meaningless talks are over, if the fears of this Opinion writer are not to be made manifest.

The problem is that the government does not have competent generals nor the soldiers or the police they can rely upon,

who are capable of or wanting to retake control without bloodshed and further bungling humiliation.

Thailand needs national unity

April 20, 2010 12:00AM

The alternative is street fighting among political proxies

THE army was back on the streets of Bangkok yesterday, sending a signal to the Red Shirt protest movement that they should lift their siege of the city and a message to the world that everything was under control. Neither is believable, Thailand's problems run much deeper than the damage done by a large and very well organised protest movement. The Red Shirts support former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, deposed in a military coup in 2006. They want an election, which the exiled Thaksin's side would be likely to win. Despite widespread claims of corruption against him, his policies, including free healthcare for all, make him the darling of the rural poor. But no matter how decisive an election outcome, a vote would solve nothing unless it was accepted by Thaksin's opponents, who despise his populism, sneer at his supporters and can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets. These Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months at the end of 2008, and there is talk of their taking on Thaksin's supporter.

The stand-off in the streets places Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in an impossible position. He was appointed, rather than elected, and has no credibility with Thaksin's camp. And the stand-off in the streets is a problem for the army, the usual arbiter of who governs. It seems the generals are loath to either shore up Mr Abhisit or, as they have often done before, take control themselves. The Red Shirts have too much popular support to be easily suppressed and there are suggestions there is sympathy for Thaksin's cause among rank and file soldiers. This was once the sort of situation solved by advice from King Bhumibol Adulyadej. But he is old and ill and shows no sign of intending to intervene.

And so it is up to the politicians. Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll. Given his tenuous position, the Prime Minister has little choice but to agree. Yet unless the political warlords agree to respect the popular vote and unless the winning side undertakes not to wreak revenge on the loser, the results will not matter much.

Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang.

I would expect better from The Australian. At least get some of the facts right.

"including free healthcare for all" - not quite. It was Abhisit who made it free (only because it cost more than 30-baht to collect the 30-baht).

"Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months" - 9 days.

"He was appointed, rather than elected" - since when was he appointed?

"can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets" - what's he talking about?

"Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll." - failing to mention that the end of the year is 12 months early.

"Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang."

There is very little chance of a national unity government. Unless the reds are in control, they won't accept it.

Article aside, has anybody else noticed a significant drop in red shirt presence on the streets?

The motorbike taxis are (mostly) back to wearing regular clothes and seem to have removed the red flags from their stations. Spotted one pick up on the way to work with two people on the back dressed in red. The truck had the two staple red flags but they had been tied up for some reason...?

Certainly not counting chickens here - the actions of the reds today will be the real indicator.

I agree... from what I can observe, there seems to be less fervent support, fewer red shirts visible. Yet, post Songkran who knows? They can travel to Bangkok from upcountry in a matter of hours.... They have a way of suddenly coming out from the woodwork.

Interesting how the protest is not only polarizing the Thai people, but also ThaiVisa posters, most of whom are farang and reside in Thailand.

I'm on the side who favors of stern measures to counter the rallies. I'm amazed at how much reluctance there is by the PM and military to taking strong measures. However, I understand it, as much of public opinion will point fingers at the government if more blood is spilled.

If a person has a bad internal staph infection, then serious remedial action would be needed. It won't be enough to rub some peroxide on the skin. Red apologists are saying there should be no strong measures taken to eliminate the protesters. Reds are essentially asking for confrontation, and they're setting the stage for it with their alarmist/treasonous rhetoric and embedded fighters with automatic weapons and grenades. Give them what they want. End it.

Hysterical, heavily biased nonsense - just another day at the office for the Nation writers. This is not journalism.

I guess the truth hurts!!!

Good for the journo!!

Only saying what most people think and know!!

He is spot on!!

Most people dont think and know this. The Nation reporter should do what I did,I walked around the red shirt area in Chit lom last night, there are so many of them and they are so well organised that I couldnt help but think that have already won. I just wish Abhisit would have elections and let the country move on. Using force against the red shirts will only strengthen their resolve and will inevitably lead to loss of life and probably to a return of Thaksin.

"Operation Payback"
: What kind of rhetoric is that. I presume self titled. I am sure it has no factual evidence to back it up, and I would hope that Anupong gets on the phone to get them to retract it.

Having a supposedly "respected" :) newspaper regurgitating nonsense like this is idiotic.

The upcoming mission is inevitable now that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has given the go-ahead order by appointing the Army chief to handle the task - despite the PM's extreme reluctance to command a military crackdown on the red shirts.
: A little bit of factual evidence would be nice. Maybe they are all sitting around a table somewhere and the reds pack up and go home tonight. Since when has the army not reserved the right to carry out the government's orders?

In fact is there a single proveable substantiated fact in the entire piece? In fact, it reads like an entry on Thai Visa by some of the more vitriolic contributors.

It looks like an opinion piece.

It looks liken he was quoting someone with "Operation Payback" an ill advised quote.

It would be wonderful if the Red Leaders packed up and went home tonight.

I don't think this is urban street fight "inevitable", but considering the Red Leaders legal positions,

they must actually win, or really lose big time. A sad and maddening state of affairs.

If the Reds weren't were they are, and ringers in their midst hadn't created the carnage of 2 weekends ago,

this might have been salvageable, but I am afraid this may be beyond rational minds sorting it out.

IF this article makes SOMEONE sacred enough to take a step back, or strongly council taking a step back, good.

If not, then it's just possibly more accurate an observers opinion, than we would want reality to become....

Now lets look at how he finishes the article.

"If Thailand is ever to see the resumption of normalcy, politicians of all stripes must do two things -

renounce the use of street protest in their power struggle

and stop playing the military card to influence the political outcome."

Does this sound hysterical and jingoistic...? It sounds like a very rational approach to the situation.

Edited by animatic

Hysterical, heavily biased nonsense - just another day at the office for the Nation writers. This is not journalism.

Good for the journo!!

He is spot on!!

Most people dont think and know this. The Nation reporter should do what I did,I walked around the red shirt area in Chit lom last night, there are so many of them and they are so well organised that I couldnt help but think that have already won. I just wish Abhisit would have elections and let the country move on. Using force against the red shirts will only strengthen their resolve and will inevitably lead to loss of life and probably to a return of Thaksin.

This is like chess.... we almost know what the end-game is.... Just think of it... the difference between what Abhisit wants and what the red shirts are demanding is only 6 months... you'd think that for that trivial amount of time, Abhisit would concede. He will not be re-elected anyway... the problem is that we (I) only know what I see and what I read. There must be so much going on behind the scenes that is affecting his performance. For me, with my limited information, an immediate dissolution is the obvious answer.

Good for the journo!!

He is spot on!!

:)

What about giving us an update on Silom.

Go an have a walk round the army boys, and see how organised they are!!

It always amazes me, these roving reporter types, walking around an area which could ignite at any minute.

You are NOT Thai, leave alone things that dont concern you.

You see these headlines "Innocent bystander hurt".................. you are not innocent sticking your nose into something that doesnt concern you.

I have lived here 10 yrs, the Thais will sort it out their way.... you and I dont matter. Our opinions dont matter. Walking around an area potentially becoming a war zone is plain daft.

One thing I am surprised about regarding this article, is how shocked red supporters are that it is biased.

It's out of the Nation. It's always had an anti-red slant. And this is an opinion piece, so it's going to be biased one way or the other.

The only thing that's surprised me with the Nation in the last couple of weeks is the number of pro-red pieces that they have had. Not many, but still some.

You red supporters know that it is going to be biased. You even state your surprise when an article out of the nation is not biased (or not biased towards the government).

Get over it. Move on. Discuss the issues.

Interesting how the protest is not only polarizing the Thai people, but also ThaiVisa posters, most of whom are farang and reside in Thailand.

I'm on the side who favors of stern measures to counter the rallies. I'm amazed at how much reluctance there is by the PM and military to taking strong measures. However, I understand it, as much of public opinion will point fingers at the government if more blood is spilled.

If a person has a bad internal staph infection, then serious remedial action would be needed. It won't be enough to rub some peroxide on the skin. Red apologists are saying there should be no strong measures taken to eliminate the protesters. Reds are essentially asking for confrontation, and they're setting the stage for it with their alarmist/treasonous rhetoric and embedded fighters with automatic weapons and grenades. Give them what they want. End it.

Agreed, agreed, agreed! So why isn't he doing what you suggest? Do they only graduate idiots from Oxford? Eliminating the red shirts as you suggest is NOT like putting peroxide on a staph infection. Killing germs is not the same as killing people, unless you are like Hitler and simply do not care. Living knowing that you could have done something to avoid killing hundreds, versus just wiping them out must be incredibly stressful. I don't like what the red shirts are doing any more than anyone here on Thai Visa. But I can also empathise with what Abhisit is going through.... doesn't make it right; doesn't make it effective; but it does make it very fallible and human.

If I had read and article like this it in the China Daily or the New Light of Myanmar justifying a crack down in Tibet or Rangoon, I wouldn't have been surprised.

"Operation Payback": What kind of rhetoric is that. I presume self titled. I am sure it has no factual evidence to back it up, and I would hope that Anupong gets on the phone to get them to retract it.

Having a supposedly "respected" :) newspaper regurgitating nonsense like this is idiotic.

"Maybe the plan has to be refined to reduce loss of life": Ditto

The upcoming mission is inevitable now that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has given the go-ahead order by appointing the Army chief to handle the task - despite the PM's extreme reluctance to command a military crackdown on the red shirts. : A little bit of factual evidence would be nice. Maybe they are all sitting around a table somewhere and the reds pack up and go home tonight. Since when has the army not reserved the right to carry out the government's orders?

In fact is there a single proveable substantiated fact in the entire piece? In fact, it reads like an entry on Thai Visa by some of the more vitriolic contributors.

Know thy self.

Did you notice that the post is headed SIDELINE and clearly states at the bottom that this is an opinion?

Do you state that your vitriol (to borrow a word) is opinion?

Rated by journalistic standards it is not good, agreed. As the opinion of a Thai citizen prior to his country sinking into chaos, I can understand.

Long live the Thailandic ! (er, my opinion)

Edited by rabo

This is like chess.... we almost know what the end-game is.... Just think of it... the difference between what Abhisit wants and what the red shirts are demanding is only 6 months... you'd think that for that trivial amount of time, Abhisit would concede. He will not be re-elected anyway... the problem is that we (I) only know what I see and what I read. There must be so much going on behind the scenes that is affecting his performance. For me, with my limited information, an immediate dissolution is the obvious answer.

But for more than half of the nation, dissolution is not the obvious answer.

Negotiation would be the answer. But the reds aren't interested in negotiation. It's their way, or it's their way.

I think this is just part of an increasingly hysterical and desperate attempt by the Elite to force the Army to Kill its opponants.

The Army are still reluctant and possibly could be the peace makers here. They are not doing their masters bidding by killing this week as they realise that the masters could be in for a change!

The Yellow protesters are looking more and more like the flat earth society, pinning their hopes on some trumped up LM charges to give them something to rally around.

They seem to think that if the Army just kill a few thousand people, their regime can survive. It can't and more and more of their backers are beginning to realise it. Hence the Nation sending in the shock troops with this drivel.

Most of this is devisive propaganda and would be banned if it were as biased towards the Anti-Government side. Can't we raise the bar on this site and have less of it?

exactly - it's the last ditch attempt by the desperate Elite to retain power - it's over - they are doomed

What is clear is that the present system must change for the benefit of the whole nation. Whilst these events may have been set in train by the coup of 2006 and the manner in which the Democrats came to be the governing party, I believe there is another very powerful "hand" at play. It is not miltary, but financial. I believe that "hand" may be the factor tthat causes change to happen - but it may not be nice.

As at Monday, the SET had lost all of the gains it has made this year. Foreign analysts were talking of the SET losing at least another 5% over the coming days. The return on investment was not high enough to justify the risk of investing in Thailand, which was why mainly foreign investors were selling their Thai stocks. Some body or some people are betting on the SET falling quite a bit further. It is not unknown for investors taking a "short position" to talk the market down. This is out of Thaksin's league. The players that can do this are of the stature of people like Warren Buffet, John Poulson and George Soros and who control huge investment funds.

Thailand's credit rating has been downgraded recently by Fitch in part on the basis of the anti-government demonstrations but more importantly, contrary to what the government says, the economy is faltering for other reasons. That will push up the cost of government borrowing. More of GDP will go to service the national debt.

Yet the baht remains strong. That can only be because BOT are supporting it. Given a faltering economy and the higher cost of future government borrowing, maintaining the currency in a range of 30 to 33 baht to the US$ can only be a short-term strategy. The currency speculators know that supporting the current exchange rate is a heavy drain on the economy that can only result in a lower SET valuation and a lower exchange rate. Both of which will give them huge short-term profits, which is their objective. The good of the country is not their concern.

Unfortunately, the consequent economic "adjustments" will be neither gradual or gentle. They will be seismic. It is the effects of those "adjustments" that could bring about major changes, but not necessarily in the way any of the political activists and military would like. As I said, it may not be nice - for Thais and farangs alike.

The only way to avoid this scenario is for a political solution to be found quickly to this political problem.

If I had read and article like this it in the China Daily or the New Light of Myanmar justifying a crack down in Tibet or Rangoon, I wouldn't have been surprised.

"Operation Payback": What kind of rhetoric is that. I presume self titled. I am sure it has no factual evidence to back it up, and I would hope that Anupong gets on the phone to get them to retract it.

"Maybe the plan has to be refined to reduce loss of life": Ditto

The upcoming mission is inevitable now that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has given the go-ahead order by appointing the Army chief to handle the task - despite the PM's extreme reluctance to command a military crackdown on the red shirts. : A little bit of factual evidence would be nice. Maybe they are all sitting around a table somewhere and the reds pack up and go home tonight. Since when has the army not reserved the right to carry out the government's orders?

Know thy self.

Did you notice that the post is headed SIDELINE and clearly states at the bottom that this is an opinion?

Do you state that your vitriol (to borrow a word) is opinion?

Rated by journalistic standards it is not good, agreed. As the option of a Thai citizen prior to his country sinking into chaos, I can understand.

Long line the Thailandic ! (er, my opinion)

Very true, RABO... people have tendency to JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS when they learn something new.... and it says more about THEM than it does about the writer (in this case)...

Agreed, agreed, agreed! So why isn't he doing what you suggest? Do they only graduate idiots from Oxford? Eliminating the red shirts as you suggest is NOT like putting peroxide on a staph infection. Killing germs is not the same as killing people, unless you are like Hitler and simply do not care. Living knowing that you could have done something to avoid killing hundreds, versus just wiping them out must be incredibly stressful. I don't like what the red shirts are doing any more than anyone here on Thai Visa. But I can also empathise with what Abhisit is going through.... doesn't make it right; doesn't make it effective; but it does make it very fallible and human.

"Give them what they want. End it."

The reds want confrontation. The reds want violence. That's what they will get.

But for more than half of the nation, dissolution is not the obvious answer.

Negotiation would be the answer. But the reds aren't interested in negotiation. It's their way, or it's their way.

Precisely.... that is why this is such a CATCH-22

Good for the journo!!

He is spot on!!

What may seem a trivial amount of time is also

Allowing a mob or minority pressure group to dictate by street action when a snap election will be held.

This is not Democratic, and not part of representative government which the country purports to have,

PAD did, 1 strike, if Reds do it, it won't be just Strike Two and never more...

It will be the slippery slope to ANY side trying this over and over and over.

And the blood spilled into the future will be greatly compounded.

I for one do not want ANY bloodshed.

But also can't see how this type of street action can ever be allowed to dictate to the rest of the people

Not Reds, not Pad not, ANYONE ANYMORE.

Edited by animatic

Yup... seems that way to me too... the problem is that there are a lot of WOMEN AND CHILDREN amongst the red shirts who are serving as human shields. They are ignorant, poor, gullible or all three... whatever... if the army "mows everyone down" and sets Rajaprasong free, what do you think the consequences would be? What would happen if pictures of bloody, killed, "innocent" women and children hit the international press circuit? Getting rid of the trouble-makers, while seemingly obvious, is not an easy decision!!!!!

Good for the journo!!

He is spot on!!

:)

What about giving us an update on Silom.

Go an have a walk round the army boys, and see how organised they are!!

It always amazes me, these roving reporter types, walking around an area which could ignite at any minute.

You are NOT Thai, leave alone things that dont concern you.

You see these headlines "Innocent bystander hurt".................. you are not innocent sticking your nose into something that doesnt concern you.

I have lived here 10 yrs, the Thais will sort it out their way.... you and I dont matter. Our opinions dont matter. Walking around an area potentially becoming a war zone is plain daft.

Could not agree more. It is extremely annoying and frustrating what is going on in BKK but it is not the probelm of a group of ex-pats. Of course we can all have opinion but why force it on others and when they disgree become rude and disrespectful to them?

A lot of what is being reported is opinion. You all have your opinion so let others have theirs. I have my opinion on what Abhisit and the Generals should do but screaming out loud on here isn't going to accomplish anything other than raise blood pressures of you all.

If a journo has to submit a report and has nothing else to write about, his piece will be an opinion piece and he has his opinion about what is going on. Why shouldn't he write it, it is his job, biased or not.

Get over it. What will be will be. Screaming at other ex-pats on here will achieve diddly-squat.

Good luck

Yet another sad piece of garbage.

Thanks for posting it though, it's good to see the depths this 'newspaper' has fallen to.

If the NATION just prints garbage, why do you have over 3,000 posts here? It seems you have a lot of spare time on your hands and you love to read garbage? Explain that to us please...

I guess you too have too much time on your hands

4 post in 20 minutes all on the same thread and on

the same page ...

Yup... seems that way to me too... the problem is that there are a lot of WOMEN AND CHILDREN amongst the red shirts who are serving as human shields. They are ignorant, poor, gullible or all three... whatever... if the army "mows everyone down" and sets Rajaprasong free, what do you think the consequences would be? What would happen if pictures of bloody, killed, "innocent" women and children hit the international press circuit? Getting rid of the trouble-makers, while seemingly obvious, is not an easy decision!!!!!

Yup, lots of women and children

All being set up by red shirt brainwashing leading machine

So sad to see ... most of them have no clue why they are there

Hopefully when push comes to shove ... the women and

children stay back and away from harm ..

Wrong are you!

I think for one,that is a brilliant piece of reporting,right on the spot.

Cant help to tell you,that your own opinion sucks,gotcha.

Mybe in your self rightious way,you can come up with a better way to describe the misery created by master taksin,(maybe your boss as well)??

Reporting is always a twosided sword,,one believes the news,others deny the truth.

Today's picture in the Thai newspaper says it all - Chavalit and Thaksin's brother in law sitting together petitioning.........

What the red shirt supporters here don't realize is that what the reds .. let me clarify this - the leaders and paramilitary's within the red terrorist movement - are doing is a coup attempt by Thaksin. A normal coup would not work since he does not have the support of most of the army.

While 80% of the reds are cannon fodder - Isaani farmers, older people and children who had no clue why they were coming to Bangkok, but pay was good and it was "sanuk", a lot of them would like to go home , finding the whole affair not so "sanuk" anymore. Problem is that the red shirt leaders need them in case of a clamp down by the government to show some injured or dead farmers, elderly and they hope of course children to win press support, they are now not letting them leave, even if they want to. The reds have clearly learned their lessons from Al Queda and the terrorists handbook. Considering they have AK 47's I would not be too surprised if a deal has bee struck with the Muslim insurgents in the south. The AK being any terrorists group favorite weapon - cheap and reliable. When used with the usual ammo, with a high velocity, a highly effective weapon with a very high kill ratio.

If anyone here say's that this has nothing to do with Thaksin, well they are either red's themselves trying to use this forum for propaganda or blind.

The government has no choice but to hit them hard and disperse the mob, arresting all the leaders and guards (paramilitary) to avoid even more bloodshed by the coming weekend. The majority of the Thais are fat up with this rioting mob which in reality is a very small minority and things will get out of hand if they take it upon themselves to deal with them - yellow, pink and whatever color shirts .......

The Reds are set in their protest area in Ratchaprasong. There is plenty of room for them there. They are causing enough damage to the economy and to peoples lives by setting up there.

Why do they need to move into Silom?

The ONLY reason to do that is to cause confrontation.

They preach violence from their stage. They will get violence if they try and move into Silom.

They know that. That's why they are doing it.

Any deaths or injuries that result from a push into Silom should be on the heads of the red leaders.

Guess what? They don't care. They want as many deaths as possible (their death squads screwed up last week in only killing a few). That's the only way there's going to be a coup and that's what they want so the whole world can see they were fighting against freedom and for democracy. A coup will prove that they were right and will bring taksin back.

The army are currently protecting Silom.

I doubt very much that they will go into Ratchaprasong. At least not yet.

The Reds are set in their protest area in Ratchaprasong. There is plenty of room for them there. They are causing enough damage to the economy and to peoples lives by setting up there.

Why do they need to move into Silom?

The ONLY reason to do that is to cause confrontation.

They preach violence from their stage. They will get violence if they try and move into Silom.

They know that. That's why they are doing it.

Any deaths or injuries that result from a push into Silom should be on the heads of the red leaders.

Guess what? They don't care. They want as many deaths as possible (their death squads screwed up last week in only killing a few). That's the only way there's going to be a coup and that's what they want so the whole world can see they were fighting against freedom and for democracy. A coup will prove that they were right and will bring taksin back.

Seeing as the government still have the support of the army and the coalition, there will be no coup. Yet.

The army don't want deaths. They say it's a political problem.

The government don't want deaths. That will hurt them politically.

The only people who are talking about violence are the reds. They are continuously talking about confrontation.

They want violence. They want death. It serves their purpose.