A Good Place To Buy Household Goods?

VegasTim

Hi All,

I am in the process of moving to Thailand and I just rented a condo (Ratchada Road at the Huai Kwang MTR stop). The condo is furnished with all of the big things (sofa, TV, bed, etc.) but I need to buy some small things for the new place. I need dinnerware, glasses, cutlery, pots and pans, bed sheets, etc. As I really hate shopping, I like to buy quality stuff so that it lasts as long as possible (and I don't have to shopping again for quite some time!) so for things like these I usually stay away from the street markets. I was thinking of looking at Robinson's. Does anybody have other ideas for a good store to buy these small household items?

Thanks!

Can't help you with Bangkok...but I will say that from my experiences it is worthwhile to really shop around. I bought an item...on sale...2 days ago and saw it 50% cheaper...not on sale...at another store yesterday. Prices vary widely....

Central Department Store, Chidlom, with direct access from Chidlom Skytrain station, IMHO better quality than Robinson which is also owned by Central

Yeah, I forgot about that mob, long time since I've been in there. :)

Central Department Store, Chidlom, with direct access from Chidlom Skytrain station, IMHO better quality than Robinson which is also owned by Central

Try Makro !! Cheaper ! :D

Try Makro !! Cheaper ! :D

The OP said he wants quality, that rules out Makro.

rry hi-jacking - I was just about to post a ismilar thread, only I am looking for "budget" stuff. My furniture shipment is delayed for a couple of weeks, so I need some basics to get me through the first couple of weeks.

So am I reading this right:

Makro = "budget" (ok quality, but not "good" quality) .... where is this place located?

Robinsons = "good" quality - not top of the line but good compromise between quality and price ....... any particular store?

Central = slightly better that Robinsons, but more selection ...... any particualr store?

Index Mall = ??? about the same as robinsons ??? ...... where is this place located?

Also - "Fluffy Emporium" - where is this located?

Many thanks - and sorry again for hi-jacking!

I'd be heading off to Index Living Mall for the sorts of household goods you require. Their pricing is good and their range is extensive. We just bought a town home in Bangkok and purchased a heap of gear there. Google it.

I agree. My wife and I moved here recently and we have bought a lot of household stuff from Index. Easy way to get there the first time is take a taxi and tell the driver "Big C Ekkamai". Most will know where the mall is that is anchored by a Big C supermarket and has an Index store on the second floor.

A cheaper way may be to take the BTS to Ekkamai station and head north on foot. It's a fair hike though on a hot day.